My Cat Spending Too Much Time Alone

kindartip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued my cat from the street when she was a baby (now 3 years old) and she has started to stay alone at least 12 hours in a day at home (with no garden or open space). Since I work and study I am not able to be at home as much as old days but I am trying to spend time with her every day even I feel tired. But it does not sound sustainable for me for the long term so I start to think about taking her to my parent's house for a while. I gave detailed information about my cat and the conditions. I would like to ask your opinions about how a cat would be happier:

1.Spending too much time alone and rarely seeing the best friend
2.Spending too much time with others without seeing the best friend

The thing is, she is a social and playful cat and I am the only friend of her. I feed her, I play her, I talk to her. When my friends or my parents come they play together but my cat gets bored quickly because they do not know how the way she likes to play (we run all around the flat and tables, she is a real hunter!) She allows only me to hold her, hug her or pet her. On the other hand, sometimes she is so demanding, she bites when she wants attention or playing. She has started to stare at me for 10 mins to demand something she wants. In this period, even I totally understand she is willing to play with me in the evenings I am feeling exhausted and not capable to pay attention her playing sessions.
Is it ok not to play with her every day?

In this sense I feel really sorry for her life, in a flat, alone, waiting for me all day (mostly sleeping) and in the evening I feel sorry for myself because I have no energy at all to run around with her and I start to feel double sorry for our lives. I can just see her 4 hours in a day and when I just need to sleep, there she is waiting for me with full of energy!(By the way adopting another cat is not an option). So I was just thinking maybe I should take her to my parent's home (in another city) for 3-4 months because my mom is always at home now and my father can play with her, not in the perfect way but anyways. However I am not sure if it is a good decision, I just want her to be happier, I wish she could say whatever she prefers.

It would be great if you can help me to decide about this situation.

Regards,

Olwince

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kindartip,

I think it is up to both you and the cat to decide. It sounds like you and your cat are quite attached to each other. The cat will have to adjust to a new environment, although it sounds like she is familiar with your parents already, which will make it easier. Meanwhile, you will have to adjust to not having your cat around. Personally I find having my cats around very therapeutic, especially during stressful periods in life.

Usually cats can be very social, but are also perfectly fine being alone given there are some things to keep them stimulated. Have you consider purchasing some toys she can play with on her own? There are many choices, from affordable to very elaborate. I have a treat ball which I fill with normal kibbles. Both my cats love it and the ball is emptied every day.
My kitten also occupies himself with this, although my 8 year old aren't really interested, not all cats like the same games. Try the cat toys review section or Amazon for some more ideas. There are also toys which you don't have to spend too much energy to play, like a those attached to a rope and a stick or a laser pointer (I always end play time with a couple treats, so they'd feel rewarded). I would also make her a space to seat by the window so she could watch things go by. Some say music or ambient noise help too, I usually have something quiet playing when I'm away from home.

In general I don't think you should feel obliged to spend long periods of time playing with your cat every single day, and certainly don't feel guilty when you are not able to. As long as shes getting adequate food, water, clean litter, and stimulation from other sources she should be fine. Play with her whenever you can spare the time and energy. It sounds like you're anticipating your life to be less hectic in a few months, so I'm sure you can make it up then :)

However, if you really feel like you don't have the ability to take care of her for the time being, letting your parents cat-sit for a few months might not be a bad idea. I had to do the same a few year ago. My parents love the cat and it was a very positive experience for them too. My parents live relatively close, so I could visit my cat on weekends or whenever I had time. The only slight problem for me was my cat got really good at begging for food, and my parents were overfeeding him a bit. He got pretty round after a few months, and had to go on a diet after that. If you do decide to move her, try to stay there for a few hours to a day to help her settle and visit whenever you can. If she's anxious, try feliway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kindartip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Olwince
Thank you very much for this response!
You really got my point and it was helpful.
I think it will be the same with my parents, she will have to go on a diet later :)

I wish you the best!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it's any help to you, I'm retired and home most of the time. I've found that my cats sleep most of the day, with relatively brief periods when they're awake. One of my boys hated me leaving at all and would make a fuss when he saw me getting ready to go out. However, on a few occasions, I'd get to the garage and realize I'd forgotten something. My 'distressed' cat was already asleep when I got back to the house just a minute after he'd been complaining to me.

My belief is that cats are totally self absorbed and do well at meeting their own needs. As long as you provide sufficient food and a clean litter box, they will develop a personal schedule for themselves and be content when you're away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kindartip

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, it is a help! I am very sure that my cat is sleeping instead of crying.
She welcomes me with full of energy!
Thanks!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
As time goes on she will get used to the new environment...I got my cats a scratching post/cat condo thing that they can climb and scratch. I put beds in all the windows-they spend most of their days looking out the window at cat TV.