My Cat Sleeps On Top Of Me

Mycatlovesmilk

My house, my cat's rules, I am just a slave
Kitten
Purraise
My furrchild Whiskers is anywhere between 7 and 14 and he usually likes to sleep on a blanket of his own but recently in the past week I've woken up in the middle of the night and he's on top of me sleeping whether it be my chest my stomach my legs or my back is this normal? If not what can I do to help him?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats go through phases, including where they like to sleep. So maybe he's just decided he wants to seek out the heat of his human's body.

Is he eating and using the litter box normally? If you think he might be unwell, you should take him to the vet for a checkup. Otherwise, I'd just gently push him off me, if I didn't want him sleeping on top of me.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat, who is relatively new to the household, occasionally experiments with sleeping on top of me, although it's been warm here so she rarely stays for long. How long have you had Whiskers, and how long has he been sleeping regularly on his blanket?

I would tend to be a bit worried about an older cat who suddenly changes a longstanding pattern. Perhaps he's cold at night now that he's getting older. Has his weight changed recently? Older cats can be susceptible to thyroid issues, which cause weight loss. Or maybe he's experiencing arthritis or some other aches and pains and finds snuggling soothing.

It might be worth a vet visit just to rule out any health problems.

Otherwise, have you washed his blanket recently with a new type of detergent? Is there any other reason it might smell funny to him?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Selene usually sleeps next to me, but she's been experimenting with other places lately. Cats are creatures of habit, but even their habits can change.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
one of my four cats used to sleep with me, and now will not. they are in the middle of integration so that could be the problem, but even before that, this particular cat would have a spot in the house he would stay for like a month, then he would move to a new spot, and on to a new spot. it probably does depend on the weather, temp in house etc.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of mine does thins, and it's fine with me. But if you would rather not, just let the cat know ;)

licy99710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds perfectly normal if that is the only difference. My older cat has cycle over a year from floor, bed, to the window side. She sometimes even sits on my pillow and pushes me to side.