My cat seems to love other cats???

thf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First I would like to say hi to everyone! I have 2 cats Zero and Yoshimi. Yoshimi is a Siamese mix and has a sassy personality. She is typically very sweet though, just has some insecurities no doubt. She is 4 years old and spayed. My male cat Zero is 5 years old and neutered. Yoshimi does not care for other cats one bit. I will foster from time to time and usually introductions have to be slow. One thing I have noticed about Zero, but i still wonder....what his behaviors mean? When he meets a new cat or kitten, he has never puffed up, hissed, or growled, even when they growl at him.....he never flattens his ears either. He just makes these cooing sounds and tries to sniff the newcomer. Usually they are scared and so Zero leaves them alone and then tries to find their food (hah). He loves kittens and usually will start grooming them asap if a ever bring one home that needs fostering. Typically any cats weve ever had always warm up to Zero. I just am wondering if I am reading things wrong or are their cats who really like to meet new cats??

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by THF

When he meets a new cat or kitten, he has never puffed up, hissed, or growled, even when they growl at him.....he never flattens his ears either. He just makes these cooing sounds and tries to sniff the newcomer. Usually they are scared and so Zero leaves them alone and then tries to find their food (hah). He loves kittens and usually will start grooming them asap if a ever bring one home that needs fostering. Typically any cats weve ever had always warm up to Zero. I just am wondering if I am reading things wrong or are their cats who really like to meet new cats??
Hi - I 'm not sure of the answer but I can only guess there are cats who are naturally friendly.

My kitty Daisy seemed eager to meet my first cat Penny through the screen divider --but unfortunately for Daisy, Penny's not going to win any friendliness awards.

Daisy came from a large litter and that litter never knew the outdoors. I was told Penny only had one brother -both were field kittens born in a field. Who knows if those factors factor in.

Anyway a friendly kitty equals less headaches for you in virtually any situation

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to you and your babies!

I also foster on a regular basis (in fact I'm bringing home 6 new foster babies this afternoon!) and my Azizi is the EXACT same way.

I have a foster room, where I keep the fosters quarentined if they have any kind of illness, and Azizi will sit outside the door all the time and communicate through the door. If there are no illnesses and I allow them to meet, he is always very sweet and VERY loving to all of my fosters. He takes care of them and it never fails to warm my heart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cute!! Its nice to hear others have kitties with the same attitude towards other cats. Its very sweet. I have never had a cat like him who actually loves other cats so its kind of fascinating to me I guess.

We have 2 new fosters. I am fostering for a military program which helps soldiers keep their pets & we take care of them while they deploy. The 2 new kitties are adjusting and doing well. I am taking it one step at a time. bought some Feliway to help (hopefully) and slowly introducing them to the home. Its funny to me to watch Zero sit outside the door meowing because he wants to meet his new "friends."

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friday is that way too. I can trust him with the tiniest kitten or the surliest adult. He does his best to make friends and if he can't he'll just stay away. Interestingly, Friday is aggressive to humans who come in the house with whom he has not lived. I think he thinks he's a human and is territorial towards them and therefor not territorial to other cats.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww....your Zero sounds very special! My Tolly is the same way. Tolly is a Nurturer, His nick name is "Nurse Tolly".

When any other cat comes home smelling like vet Tolly is all over that cat wanting to fuss and comfort. Tolly always knew when Ootay (rb 5/09) was feeling poorly, even before I did.

There've been two new cats introduced here in the past five years, and Tolly loved them instantly.

Welcome to TCS, I look forward to hearing more about Yoshimi and Zero!

breellablue

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Ollie tries to groom everything that walks by her, feline, canine, even my lizard! I think that she's just a very loving and friendly soul (unless you're a vole in my garden)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Awww....your Zero sounds very special! My Tolly is the same way. Tolly is a Nurturer, His nick name is "Nurse Tolly".

When any other cat comes home smelling like vet Tolly is all over that cat wanting to fuss and comfort. Tolly always knew when Ootay (rb 5/09) was feeling poorly, even before I did.

There've been two new cats introduced here in the past five years, and Tolly loved them instantly.

Welcome to TCS, I look forward to hearing more about Yoshimi and Zero!
Aww!! Its amazing to me how personality in domestic cats can overcome instinct. But maybe they know sometimes that it is in their best interest to make friends rather than enemies. I have never had a cat quite like Zero.....hes completely fascinated with the toilet flushing, he "hunts" for anything plastic when the lights go out (and I put all plastic out of his reach as much as possible) but if he happens to find plastic wrapping, he "prowls" the house howling and making wild kitty sounds announcing that he has caught dinner for everyone, then proceeds to drop the plastic thingy in front of me or on the bed. He is great pals with the dog & they sleep together from time to time. He "sleeps" on top of the flat screen TV......sides hanging off and everything. He makes the impossible possible LOL. Never a dull moment with Zero in the house

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a great personality profile of Zero!

My Ootay (rb 5/09) did the prey/howl thing too. I called it her Dying Goose Sound, but she was never happier when fishing an old Crumpled Cigarette Pack out of her Toy Box and walking through the house with it in her mouth calling "MEAOWELPOH". I do regret that I never got that on video, by the time I had a digital camera that took video she was getting pretty sick and didn't do it much anymore.

PS I quite smoking over 10 years ago but those old Old Gold wrappers lasted a long time! I admit, even when I cleaned out Ootay's Toy Box (only a month ago) I saved them, they are just too much a part of who she was to ever get rid of.