My cat seems to hate every food, and I'm getting worried and scared.

S1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Earlier this year, my cat got tired of Royal Canin, so I spent two months figuring out what he wants. Some foods he hated right away while with others, he seemed to like for a week and then didn't want to eat it anymore. After those two months, he happily ate Blue Buffalo Duck Recipe and the Fancy Feast dry food. Around this week, he was less enthusiastic about eating those foods, so I got some Alley Cat in the mail, figuring out that he wanted a change. He didn't want to eat this even though he ate it as a kitten. Then, I went to the store and bought tuna, and he didn't want to eat that either. I don't know why he's like this. He's not sick. His teeth look okay. I don't know what to do at this point. Force feeding is not a good idea, but I don't want him to die of nutrition. He doesn't like other meats like turkey or salami. What do I do now?! This is insane! Has any one else been through something like this? I know he's hungry, but he doesn't want to eat anything I give him. I just hope I don't have to put him down because he's an extreme picky eater for some strange reason.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my boys did that I started to feed them premade raw and they went back to eating nicely. Though they prefer tc feline or ez complete with meat rather then premade for sure. How old is he? Have you taken him to the vet? Is he overweight or underweight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

S1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's eight years old. I took him to the vet on July 31 for his annual vaccinations. Other than needing a teeth cleaning, he in good health. I'm not sure about feeding him raw with him being so picky now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's not sick.
Wait, why in the world would you have him PTS?

Did you tell them about the not eating? Did they check his mouth thoroughly, or did they just glance quickly while focusing more on the shots?

Are you going to have his teeth cleaned and looked at more in-depth? When a cat becomes this reluctant to eat there's often something that needs to be looked at more closely by a vet.

Why would you consider handfeeding a bad idea? It is often a true life saver for a cat, carries them through rough spots while keeping their livers from damage, and depending on the situation can remind them that food is a good thing.

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

Assuming all of what you've fed and tried is/was dry food, try Merrick Backcountry, possibly Natural Balance, Red Barn etc;
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food – TheCatSite Articles

S1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I should've been more clear. During the week of his vet visit, he was eating fine. The picky eating began this week.

I know I need to get his teeth cleaned sooner or later. Times are tough now, especially since my unemployment benefits have been reduced, and I'm hoping for my state to apply for that extra aid involved in the executive order.

I tried hand feeding, but he would turn away. Plus, force feeding him made him throw it back up, and I don't want to damage his digestive system.

I mentioned PTS out of frustration. I just hope it doesn't come to that since he seems to hate the foods I offer, even the ones he used to love.

He ate both dry and wet before this started, and it was the only ones he liked after he rejected other brands.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What does/will he eat? Whatever it is, for now, feed him that. If it is not cat food, then buy a supplement to add to whatever food he will eat. If he will eat other foods than cat foods, it may not be his teeth. If it turns out that he won't eat all the other things you try, you might be looking at a dental issue.

There are many suggestions in the articles that Furballsmom Furballsmom provided - go through them all until one or two 'click'.

I am going through this with Feeby (16+ yo), and no I haven't stumbled across her solution yet. But, I am continually working on it.

S1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really don't know at this point. He's not even eager to eat tuna, which is something he liked before. I don't have the energy or money to be playing trial and error with his food.

You and other posters may be on to something about this being a dental issue. It's not going to be cheap, but I hope it could nip this issue in the bud.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try canned chicken. The Tips to Get Your Cat to Eat thread has a lot of things such as using flat paper plates, putting the food in different locations, that sort of thing. It's definitely worth a look.

I don't know but there might be something here;

(apologies for any broken links);
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

About Waggle | Vet Financial Assistance | Financial Aid For Pets

5 Ways to Pay for Vet Costs

S1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links. I'll look over them. I'll also see if I can make payment arrangements with my vet. I might even have an advantage since I've been their client long before my current cat was born.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have the energy or money to be playing trial and error with his food.
It always helps to have a long standing, good rapport with your vet! The money issue may be helped with the links Furballsmom Furballsmom provided.
The energy has to come from your desire to find a resolution and help your little guy out. It is tiring - trust me, I know - but I am not giving up on Feeby's food issues - even if I would like to 'choke' her at times.;) I don't wish dental issues on your baby (what's his name, and how about a pic of him?), but at least that would be an answer if that were the case.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While you're waiting on the vet, he does need to eat something. Can you pick up smooth foods like Tiki Cat Velvet Mousse? I think Cats in the Kitchen or Weruva also have a slip and slide smooth pouched food. If it is a dental issue, he may find these smooth enough to eat anyway. Or you may find them easy enough to load into a needle-less syringe and gently squirt into the side of his mouth letting him "chew" and swallow.

Or if picking up new food is cost-prohibitive, you can blend up some of his normal wet food with extra water until it reaches a smooth enough consistency for a needle-less syringe. Your vet can probably provide you a few of these at no charge if you don't already have them.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also feed him meat only baby food (no salt or other spices.) This is not nutritionally complete. But an otherwise healthy cat can get by on a week or two of unbalanced diet before it starts to become a problem. A cat who doesn't eat at all though will be in danger of becoming dehydrated within a few days. Cats who don't eat also become susceptible to a condition where body fat burned for energy produces more fatty acids than the liver can handle: hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver disease. Fortunately this is reversible if the cat can be coaxed into eating again (if the underlying reasons for him stopping are addressed.)

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Earlier this year, my cat got tired of Royal Canin, so I spent two months figuring out what he wants. Some foods he hated right away while with others, he seemed to like for a week and then didn't want to eat it anymore. After those two months, he happily ate Blue Buffalo Duck Recipe and the Fancy Feast dry food. Around this week, he was less enthusiastic about eating those foods, so I got some Alley Cat in the mail, figuring out that he wanted a change. He didn't want to eat this even though he ate it as a kitten. Then, I went to the store and bought tuna, and he didn't want to eat that either. I don't know why he's like this. He's not sick. His teeth look okay. I don't know what to do at this point. Force feeding is not a good idea, but I don't want him to die of nutrition. He doesn't like other meats like turkey or salami. What do I do now?! This is insane! Has any one else been through something like this? I know he's hungry, but he doesn't want to eat anything I give him. I just hope I don't have to put him down because he's an extreme picky eater for some strange reason.
Maybe he needs some xrays done
To actually see whats going on inside..not just the outside

S1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm considering scheduling a vet appointment. It hasn't got any better. He drinks water, but I had to make him eat pieces of tuna. He also wants to spend most of his time in the living room. He usually likes coming to my bedroom with me, but he hasn't done that today so far.

S1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The earliest I could get him in for a cleaning is next Wednesday, so I guess I'd be forcing him to eat for nearly a week. At least he came up in my room with me. I just hope he can hold on until then.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Zed, baby hang in there!!
Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Also you could try some Nutri-cal or similar product.

Try making these recipes - they're just as viable for an adult cat as for kittens, or any recipe for unflavored Pedialyte and Kitten Milk Replacer, or storebought will work as well;
Kitten-Rescue.com

These below can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little (depending on whether you want to try that to help increase the odor) - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.

Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • mackerel
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up, lettuce, applesauce, mashed chickpeas, black olives
  • whipped topping such as reddiwhip
  • dry pasta
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese, string cheese

S1988

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's an update about Zed:

Since Friday, he's been eating normally. I'm not sure what was wrong with him. (Maybe he had a stomachache or something.) Either way, I'm glad I don't have to force feed him for the time being.

With that said, I'm still going on with the dental cleaning appointment. He never had one before, and during his last vet visit a few weeks ago, I was told that if he doesn't get his teeth cleaned, they would eventually fall out. I don't want that to happen, especially since he's not even in the double digits yet.