MY CAT SCRATCHES SO MUCH, IS IT ALLERGIES OR CAT MEDS?

taraconnor777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have been giving my cat the "RUB IN HER BACK,ONCE EVERY THREE MONTHS FLEA MEDICATION",but she's gotten such horrible itching where we rub in the stuff, the "B"??"the really popular strong one,we're thinking of not getting the three month strong med you rub on her back.We thought she was allergic and was scratching a lot cause of that. But my friend's cat does not have that med,and that cat is also scratching like crazy!!WHY ARE THE CATS SCRACTHING AND ITCHING??IS IT allergies in our valley?(Willamette Valley Eugene Oregon USA)We have one of the worst allergy valleys in the whole world.--And every spring I get sinus infections the dang pollen is so high!!are the cats,our animals,getting allergies too?Huge increase in allergies in the planet have grown cause of___--global climate change.--Im scratching and itching!!I don't even stick my head out the door tro the back yard,(I may as well still be in a city.)Im so allergic to pollen.
Thanks, that medication starts with a "b",its very strong 3 month flea rub-in-her-back. I've only seen a real flea on her once during her 11 years.She does clean a lot.--quite a lot. Thanks very much

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scratching could indicate any number of things. A trip to the vet would be best to rule out possible culprits such as parasites. Environmental allergies to anything (litter, pollen, perfumes, etc) and food allergies are pretty common in cats and those should be discussed with the vet as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Maybe it is allergies, and maybe it does have something to do with the area in which you live. As suggested above, both cats need to be checked out by a vet just on the off chance this does has more to do with parasites in your area than it has to do with other forms of allergens. Do both of these cats spend time outside, where they might be more inclined to be introduced to parasites?

What do you do to help with your allergies? There are similar treatments for cats as well - primarily the same types, like antihistamines. But there are so, so, many other things that can provoke allergies, also as mentioned above.

The flea med that you are referring to is probably Bravecto - and would only be a possible source of an issue - just for your cat (not the other one) - and it would also be affecting your cat all year long vs. some sort of seasonal allergy.