My Cat Scratched His Eye From Allergy To Chicken In #prescription Food

AnnaJm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 3 years ago, my sister recommended to me that I give my cat raw chicken liver. I thought it would be a treat for him, something new. He foamed at the mouth and did a variety of weird things and I freaked out and didnt know what was happening, only to look online and find out that allergy to chicken liver is common.

So, fast forward to just last month, my cat had a struvite stone in his bladder and he was placed on Prescription Diet c/d, which dissolves struvite stones, but it has a lot of chicken in it. And in less than 2 weeks, he had scratched his eyeball. Neither the vet nor I associated his eye scratch with a possible food allergy. (His eye is healed now). Sure enough, at the second week of eating I noticed he kept wanting me to scratch his neck- which he never wanted scratched before - and he is 8 years old. By the third week I noticed he sneezed a couple of times and I caught him trying to scratch his face. At the fourth week I noticed a new sore above his other eye!
Finally, I brought him back to see the vet for his bladder ultrasound (the struvite had dissolved) and I said, I believe he has an allergy to this food. Obviously I cant keep him on anything that might make him scratch his eye again.

Then she recommended another food- Science Diet canned food. When I got home, I looked at the ingredients. It comes in 3 flavors- chicken, turkey, beef. But every can contains 'chicken liver flavor' in it. I am going to have to tell her that I believe it could be a chicken allergy. I didn't really think that being allergic to a small chunk of chicken liver was the SAME as being allergic to 'chicken liver flavor', but it might be. Anyone else know? Sometimes 'flavor' is just a flavor, and not the real thing? > :?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Allergies to chicken is common. I'm not sure about "flavor" but it wouldn't hurt to avoid feeding anything chicken related. Can you feed a non-chicken commercial brand of canned food? There are limited ingredient diets you could try as well as novel proteins.

Blue Buffalo Basics
Merrick Limited Ingredients
Koha Limited Ingredient
Nature's Variety Instinct
Natural Balance LID

https://thecatsite.com/threads/your-favorite-brands-of-novel-protein-canned-cat-food.306947/

It's perfectly ok to disagree with the vet about food :agree: Feed your cat a non-chicken food if you believe that will help. Stick with a new food for at least a few weeks to see if the current symptoms resolve and new ones don't show up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnnaJm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I have never been able to find and non-chicken food. I will try this list.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What have you been feeding your cat all these years? You said you can't find non chicken food, so you have been feeding him food with chicken? Then I would say the allergy is to maybe the grains or something in the Rx food, not the chicken

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This list may be a bit much, but here goes. I made it when looking for non-poultry or waterfowl food for Smokey (she's allergic to them all). You probably will want to double check their ingredients just in case I missed something.

Newman's Own Organics Grain-Free Beef & Liver
Nature's Logic Feline Beef Feast
Hound & Gatos Beef Formula
Redbarn Naturals Beef Stew
Instinct by Nature's Variety Original Grain-Free Real Beef Recipe
Feline Natural Lamb and Salmon
Hound & Gatos Lamb Formula
Ziwi Peak Daily-Cat Cuisine Lamb
Redbarn Naturals Lamb Pate
Nature's Variety Pride by Instinct Grain-Free Flaked Lucky's Lamb Recipe
Nature's Variety Pride by Instinct Grain-Free Minced Lovebug's Lamb
Feline Natural Beef and Hoki Feast