My Cat Scoots in Pain - It Kills Me To Watch - PLEASE HELP !!!

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going crazy and am frustrated and scared that my cat is scooting and meowing in pain. I've taken her to 2 vets. They ran blood work and nothing alarming came up. One vet prescribed antibacterial pills (clavamox). That didnt help. The other injected her with an antibacterial med and hormones since her hormones are a bit too high.

Fyi, her kidneys are a bit too small. As a result shes been on a kidney diet for 2 years. The vet expressed her anal. Nothing has helped. Shes 19 years old btw.

Every time she scoots it kills me since I'm helpless to do any more than i have already.. I swear to god I dont know what else to do. Can someone here please give insight as to whats maybe happening and suggestions as to what I can do? I'm at my goddamn wits end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume she was checked for parasites. Parasites often cause this behavior. Anal issues make sense but it could be allergies too. There is some thought that bone meal or increased fiber could help with digestive issues. Is kitty on a lot of wet food? I don’t normally suggest an icrease in dry food to add fiber but that might help. The bone meal would probably be better. Did they check her back and hips? Possible arthritis pain? Honestly, every time I have seen scooting, it was worms and poop problems. Worming once doesn’t necessarily clear them. It should be repeated. Also, a single flea can cause both parasites and allergic reactions. Maybe it’s something simple. Sometimes it’s the simple things we miss. Hoping! :alright::redheartpump: Persist with the vet. is there a vet in your area that is strictly a cat vet? Keeping a written record of her eating, drinking, litter habits, symptoms like lethargy etc. may put the puzzle pieces together for the vet. You mentioned hormone levels being a bit high. Follow up on that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I assume she was checked for parasites. Parasites often cause this behavior. Anal issues make sense but it could be allergies too. There is some thought that bone meal or increased fiber could help with digestive issues. Is kitty on a lot of wet food? I don’t normally suggest an icrease in dry food to add fiber but that might help. The bone meal would probably be better. Did they check her back and hips? Possible arthritis pain? Honestly, every time I have seen scooting, it was worms and poop problems. Worming once doesn’t necessarily clear them. It should be repeated. Also, a single flea can cause both parasites and allergic reactions. Maybe it’s something simple. Sometimes it’s the simple things we miss. Hoping! :alright::redheartpump: Persist with the vet. is there a vet in your area that is strictly a cat vet? Keeping a written record of her eating, drinking, litter habits, symptoms like lethargy etc. may put the puzzle pieces together for the vet. You mentioned hormone levels being a bit high. Follow up on that.
Hi Jcatbird, appreciate the follow-up. Yes shes tested for 0 parasites. On a daily basis, I feed her dry food thats not specifically meant for kidney diet since she has kidney issues. But its a good brand with low protein so it doubles well as an overall healthy diet food just as good as kidney oriented food and fiber. The vet prescribed mucinex for fiber which I sprinkle on her food only in small amounts, otherwise she wont eat it if I'm liberal with it.

She doesnt have worms as the test results show, plus shes an apartment cat thar never goes outside ever. Yes they checked her hips and back. The vets wouldve said something about them if there was a problem in that regard. Maybe arthritis, since shes 19 and looks a bit more frail than she did years ago. Although shes always been slim shes actually lost a little bit of weight from what I can tell subjectively. No fleas in my house at all, btw.

As far as hormones are concerned, the vet said scooting may be a symptom of a high count of hormones. As a reult shes prescribed them. As of this writing, I have been giving her the hormones for the past 3 days 2x/day. Although its only been 3 days, it looks like her scooting has stopped and shes stopped meowing constantly mornings and evenings. She still meows, but its now much noticeably less to the point where I feel more relieved. Again, its only been 3 days but let's hope the hormones keep that in check from now on.

**As a side note, I constantly shower my cat with lots of love which is why I think could be the reason why many people including vets have marveled at her seemingly young looking youth.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your love shows in your post too. I’m glad the hormones are helping. Do keep us posted. The information you provided here may help someone else too.:heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your love shows in your post too. I’m glad the hormones are helping. Do keep us posted. The information you provided here may help someone else too.:heartshape:
Hi Jcatbird,

I do apologize for my late reply. Yes I will keep you posted if there are any changes I notice. Thank you for your help from both myself and my kitty. Appreciate the followup!