My Cat Rubs Her Face Excessively... Or Maybe Not?

serpico21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I've tried to read up on face bunting and how cats rub their scent on things, but I don't see anything to help. my cat has been rubbing her face on basically everything all the time, when she's not napping, eating, or playing. If she's just hanging out, there goes the face rubbing! It almost seems like it would be a nervous tick (if she were human. LOL) And it's not new furniture... is it odd to all of a sudden to start doing it excessively? We do have another cat, but have had her since August. And she is spayed.
thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If her rubbing her face on things is more frequent since you got the other cat, that is probably why. Some cats do it more than others, but some like to repeatedly replace another cat's scent with their own. And, when they rub they also can tell if/when the other cat was in that area. Rubbing like that can also be a sign of slight anxiety - perhaps from the other cat, or something else entirely. They use the rubbing as a form of coping and relaxation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

serpico21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. If her rubbing her face on things is more frequent since you got the other cat, that is probably why. Some cats do it more than others, but some like to repeatedly replace another cat's scent with their own. And, when they rub they also can tell if/when the other cat was in that area. Rubbing like that can also be a sign of slight anxiety - perhaps from the other cat, or something else entirely. They use the rubbing as a form of coping and relaxation.
She's the 2nd cat... So, she's the new one, but it's been 6 months. But it could be a bit of anxiety... or maybe she's just bored. it's been too cold, but she does like to go on leashed walks. That might calm her a bit. thanks for your expertise! :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also try adding things like cat trees, perches, interactive toys. If boredom is at the root of things, that will help. A nice perch in a window for "cat TV" is usually welcome, as well.