My Cat Refuses To Drink And Doesn't React Well Towards Fluid Therapy. What Should I Do?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I"m wondering if there's actually something in your water that he doesn't like. I just read (today) about a a dog who refused to drink water, and it turned out there was too much lead in that person's water. So...have you tried using bottled water to see if you get a different reaction? I've had 3 kidney cats and all three of them drank constantly, one would take a drink right after getting his sub-q fluids :rolleyes2:. Anyway, just a thought.

Also, for one of our cats, we actually paid a Vet Tech to come over to our house to administer the fluids. Is that something you could do? Surely it would be less expensive than taking him over to the Vet's office, and it would be less stressful on your little guy. Then perhaps YOU and the Vet tech together could handle the sub-q's at home, using a Cat Bag. Just corner your buy in a bathroom or something before the Tech is due to arrive so he can't hide under a bed.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are many reasons why a renal cat would be hunched over. It's been 4+ years since I lost my renal cat and though at the time I was an expert on that stuff, I have lost most of my knowledge base, kinda out of site out of mind kinda thing. I would definitely join the Tanya's Renal Cats site - they saved me there and are extremely helpful. Look for a lady there named Ro - she's awesome, really knows her stuff. There are multiple ways to do sub q fluids on a cat - I was buying the large syringes from a medical supply store and then I was working with thriving pets.com and buying the terumo needles to attach on. I got the fluid bags from my local Walgreens. You can get them at Costco as well. I bought a case of them or you can just buy a bag if I recall. My method was drawing up the fluids from the bag into the syringe and then wrapping the syringe in a heating pad to warm the fluids for about 20 minutes. Cats like the fluids warmed up and not cold. Others who do the drip method hanging the bag on a hanger and attaching the needle to the hose also warmed up the bag in a heating pad. Some members had to wrap their cat in a towel or go into a small bathroom but there are ways to get it done when push comes to shove. You can do this! Please join the group I mentioned, post an intro and they will help you. I'd seriously find a different vet - no cat should go without treatment for this - you can extend your cats life possibly a year or more once you figure things out. Your cat might need some other drugs as well - it's all on the Tanya's site . As for water, I only gave bottled water, never tap. I also used a supplement by standard process it was the renal formula for cats. I was buying it from my vets office, it was about $16 a bottle for 30 tablets and I was crushing up 1 full tablet and putting that into her wet food 1x per day. I swear by that supplement - it kept her at a good range for many many years and infact, it wasn't the renal disease that got her, it was old age and possibly the mammary cancer that developed in her last year - she made it to 23 years old and was diagnosed with kidney disease at 16 so yes, when you have the resources and a good vet, you can do this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I"m wondering if there's actually something in your water that he doesn't like. I just read (today) about a a dog who refused to drink water, and it turned out there was too much lead in that person's water. So...have you tried using bottled water to see if you get a different reaction? I've had 3 kidney cats and all three of them drank constantly, one would take a drink right after getting his sub-q fluids :rolleyes2:. Anyway, just a thought.

Also, for one of our cats, we actually paid a Vet Tech to come over to our house to administer the fluids. Is that something you could do? Surely it would be less expensive than taking him over to the Vet's office, and it would be less stressful on your little guy. Then perhaps YOU and the Vet tech together could handle the sub-q's at home, using a Cat Bag. Just corner your buy in a bathroom or something before the Tech is due to arrive so he can't hide under a bed.
Yes I did try giving him bottled (distilled) water, homemade chicken soup or even kitty milk and he just refused to drink all of them. He's not drinking even after he got the sub-qs and that's why I'm so confused.

I'm actually living in an Asia city so asking a vet tech over to my place would be like triple the price I'm paying the hospital so taking him to the hospital twice a week is a more realistic option for me at the moment but thank you for your suggestion I'm trying to see if there's any vet tech who is charging a relatively more reasonable price.

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry guys, it's me again.

I tried joining the group C cat princesses mentioned but until now my subscription to the group is still not being approved. Not sure why but my cat's situation is surely getting worse. He is still revolting from drinking water and also revolts from receiving sub-q fluids. As mentioned I've been giving him sub-q anyway with the help of vet techs in the hospital twice a week and I add water to his wet food but he is very upset about getting sub-q that he'd hide himself for at least half day every time and becomes very alert to everything that he is not even sleeping for most of the day even with the help of feliway. His appetite is dropping constantly as well and his constipation situation is also getting worse. I've been giving him lactulose everyday but still he can't pass stool. My vet told me that I can still extend his life for a few months or so but if I truely care about his quality of life I should probably consider putting him to sleep. I asked if it would be too soon but the vet said it's always either too soon or too late it's my decision to make. I'm very confused as I heard cats at the lower edge of stage 4 can still drink and eat but mine is not like that and he's also licking his hair off. Is that true that he's not having quality of life anymore?

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh I'm so sorry they haven't approved you I'd try emailing them again. Please don't give up I have seen many members cats in a crash situation and with fluids you can get them back feeling better. At this point I'd seriously get your records from the current vet and go elsewhere. Maybe check Angie's list for good reviews for vets in your area. I disagree with vets writing them off like this. If I would have listened to an old vet I was using my renal cat who was diagnosed at 16 never would have made it to 23. You need to find a way to join the group trust me they can help you. Many of the members have cats who are resistant to fluids but you just have to learn how to do it. Usually taking them into a small bathroom is best. You might have to wrap your kitty like a taco in a towel. Try googling sub q fluids for cat on you tube I'm sure there are a ton of videos there as well. Tanya's site is extremely thorough and goes their everything. Here's the direct link to the site Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat
Hang in there but definitely get a different vet you need someone on your side who's open to whatever you want to do to help your cat worst case if your cat is at the end then a second opinion can help you to feel comfortable about what treatments you decide to move forward with or not. Sending you a hug.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried miralax for the constipation? Lactulose didn't work for my renal cat after the supplier changed the formulation. Tanya's renal site talks about miralax as well go slow with dosing but that helped my girl to pass stools normally.

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you C cat princesses My subscription is finally approved couple hours ago.

But just a while ago my cat was having diarrhea and I'm not sure but he's kind of vomiting water with a strong smell like stool. Is my cat in a very bad place? Is there anything that I can do to help? It's middle of the night here in Asia should I give him water now to avoid dehydration? I'm sorry but I'm really worried

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds as if your cat is extremely constipated and is vomiting from it..
Yes, a Vet visit is necessary at this point... sorry..

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree sounds like severe constipation. At times with a severely constipated cat you will see them getting the runs but there is still solid stool. The vet can confirm that by X-ray. The vomiting is from the kidneys not flushing which is why sub q fluids at home are critical. Some members do sub q fluids daily. Clear vomit is bile kitty is nauseated from the toxins from the kidneys. I'd try and find an emergency vet if you can. It's always good to have copies of all your cats blood work and labs for your records so in the event you need to dash to the emergency vet you can show them the most current lab results. I always get a copy of everything and keep at home in a file.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My old cat actually had something like this GIF-Tube Information It is basically a very small tube, like the size of a nasal tube, that goes between the cats skin and you just squirt the water directly into the tube. No needles. It didn't bother my cat 1 bit to have it and I administered fluid that way. It took all of 10 seconds to do. It looked like it would be a human equivalent to getting a piercing done. (picture on the far right.)

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:alright:

What you're going through is so hard, we lost our 2 senior cats in December, one from renal failure.

allie allie cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats used to have leg spasms/contractions every time they lied down; be it to rest or sleep. After I realized that one was having diarrhea (hind sight must have been for awhile), I switched both cats to wet food as recommended by a vet. For one of my cats (who is a healthy size -Allie - multi colored cat in picture), the spasms stopped shortly thereafter. My other cat who was having diarrhea for a long time, it took her several months to get over the spasms. The diarrhea stopped immediately though when the wet food was started. (WD Management Hills - Vet. Even though its for weight management, if you double up the amount of wet food they won't lose weight... in fact they gained it). I believe the spasms was from a lack of water. When I put water down, they go to drink it, but when they smell it, they walk away. In fact one cat will smell it, back away and shake her head as to say what is that. lol. I tried using Brita - they still don't' like it. I have resorted to for now, mixing Brita water with the wet food. I leave so much solid and then around the bottom of the solid wet food, I will stir it like a gravy... and my little cat will now drink the "gravy water". Since i have been doing this spasms have finally come to an end !!! I have decided I am going to get my tap water tested (city water). It will cost about $200 to get it done privately, but it will be interesting for sure. Maybe if I run it through Brita twice maybe that will help... will try it.