My Cat Refuses To Drink And Doesn't React Well Towards Fluid Therapy. What Should I Do?

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 15 years old cat is recently diagnosed with kidney failure. I almost like tried everything to get him to drink water but he just hate drinking water. He even refuses to eat when water is added to the wet food. So now I bring him to the hospital two times a week to get sub-q and wish that he'd not be dehydrated. I can't do it at home as he's being super dramatic about people holding him tight or pulling his skin and I'm living by myself with only two hands. The doctors told me to kind of give up on him because they think that my cat is very aggressive and bringing him back and forth to the hospital for the fluid isn't going to help the situation in long term. is there anything else I can do or try? I don't want my cat to suffer but I can't just give up on him like that when he's still interacting with me and eating with an fairly good appetite. Please help.

Last edited:

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd find a different vet if they said give up on your pet. I gave my cat sub q fluids at home every other day for almost a year. Please google tanya's renal cats and join their group - they are amazing and they can help you with your renal cat with all sorts of tips/tricks.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You could try feeding wet food, as this contains more liquid in the first place. Also, I know you said that you tried everything, but just to confirm, have you tried using both a conventional water bowl and a fountain? Some cats have a preference for one over the other. It all else fails, I'd reccommend feeding him water and unflavored Pedialyte through a syringe.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you feed him all canned food, that should be enough water, even if you don't add any extra. . .canned food is 78% water so a 5.5-oz can will have more than 4 oz of water. If he doesn't eat any dry food (which requires some more water for the body to process) that should fulfill most of his needs. Has he had a blood test to see how his kidneys are doing?

Yeah, I think I'd find another vet if this one is being whiny. They should be fully supportive of anything an owner chooses that doesn't lower the pet's quality of life. If they feel they need to have an honest conversation about his quality of life and chances of improvement, that's one thing, but whining because it's too hard to give the kitty his fluids is just wrong.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has kidney problems, shouldn't the vet have put him on a special prescription diet?
I found with my kitty, if I sat on the floor with my legs stretched out, put the cat between legs, then crossed my feet, he was restricted but not held tightly. He did fuss a little when the needle went in, but he let me get the sub-q fluids in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could try feeding wet food, as this contains more liquid in the first place. Also, I know you said that you tried everything, but just to confirm, have you tried using both a conventional water bowl and a fountain? Some cats have a preference for one over the other. It all else fails, I'd reccommend feeding him water and unflavored Pedialyte through a syringe.
He is resistant to syringe too but I have no choice but using it as he hasn't been drinking water himself for 2 weeks already. I tried fountain (a small one) but he was a bit curious but when he smell water he just walked away. He used to finish the water and wet food together but now if the water amount is like more than 5ml in the bowl (with wet food) he'll just refuse to eat like he's lost his appetite. Even after he got the sub-q he seems to become a bit more energized but still drink no water himself. I feel so lost.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Have you been feeding him wet food? Also, if you can feed him clear Pedialyte, that will keep him better hydrated.

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you feed him all canned food, that should be enough water, even if you don't add any extra. . .canned food is 78% water so a 5.5-oz can will have more than 4 oz of water. If he doesn't eat any dry food (which requires some more water for the body to process) that should fulfill most of his needs. Has he had a blood test to see how his kidneys are doing?

Yeah, I think I'd find another vet if this one is being whiny. They should be fully supportive of anything an owner chooses that doesn't lower the pet's quality of life. If they feel they need to have an honest conversation about his quality of life and chances of improvement, that's one thing, but whining because it's too hard to give the kitty his fluids is just wrong.
Thank you for your replies. I don't think I should give up on him for sure. He's about 3kg and the vets told me to give him at least 200ml of water per day as his kidney is not functioning well a less amount may lead to dehydration. I did the math so I think he's getting about 90-100ml of water through the wet food per day now but that's much less than what the vets told me and I'd become nervous whenever he refuses to eat. I mentioned to the vets that I value quality of life and can't stand seeing him suffering and the vets told me that as he's between stage 3 and 4 and he's so resistant to getting treatments, things may go down very quickly at some point. There was two vets who did checkups on him and one of them told me that if I really care about his quality of life then I should probably consider to put him down once things change. I felt so terrible when I heard that.

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he has kidney problems, shouldn't the vet have put him on a special prescription diet?
I found with my kitty, if I sat on the floor with my legs stretched out, put the cat between legs, then crossed my feet, he was restricted but not held tightly. He did fuss a little when the needle went in, but he let me get the sub-q fluids in.
Yes he's on prescription diet already but he's becoming less interested in those wet food. I'm worried that he'll lost interest at some point. He is my first and only cat I seriously want to help but he'd become very aggressive when he knows people is doing something on him. For every blood test so far a vet had to gas him down in order to take the blood. I tried to give him sub-q with the help of a vet before and he even tried to hurt me so the vet stopped me. I'm now taking him to the hospital twice a week for the sub-q as the vet figured out a way to give him that through the bag he's in but it takes 2 guys to succeed, one to hold him still and another one put the needle in really quick.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing. I wish I could reach through the computer screen and give you both a great big hug.

It's been a very long time since I've had a cat with kidney failure, so I don't have any recent firsthand knowledge re: your cat's nutritional requirements. But if it's possible, you might try blending the crap out of any canned food that your vet has recommended until it liquifies enough to draw up with a syringe. That way you get a two-fer: extra liquid down the hatch, and extra calories and other nutrients than you'd get from just plain water. If the canned food doesn't thin down enough by simply pressing the 'liquify' button on the blender, you can add whatever liquids your cat can have. You can use water, of course, but I always try to cram as many calories as I can into every syringe.

The technique that kashmir64 kashmir64 described also works well for syringe feeding when you have to do it all by yourself. In my humble experience, I've found that the more control my cats feel they have, the more cooperative they'll be. And when you only have two hands, you need all the cooperation you can get. ;-)

If your cat doesn't tolerate a syringe well, maybe you could try one of those little nursing bottles for kittens like this. I know it makes me feel more confident since I can't accidentally scratch my cat's mouth up with a rubber tip if he moves unexpectedly, and the less stressed I am, the less stressed my cat is, and the easier it is to feed him.

Also, some cats just prefer different fountain styles. So don't give up on the idea.

Hang in there, hon. Sending lots of good wishes and vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you been feeding him wet food? Also, if you can feed him clear Pedialyte, that will keep him better hydrated.
Thank you to all of you who mentioned Pedialyte. I've never tried this. I'll get that today.

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor thing. I wish I could reach through the computer screen and give you both a great big hug.

It's been a very long time since I've had a cat with kidney failure, so I don't have any recent firsthand knowledge re: your cat's nutritional requirements. But if it's possible, you might try blending the crap out of any canned food that your vet has recommended until it liquifies enough to draw up with a syringe. That way you get a two-fer: extra liquid down the hatch, and extra calories and other nutrients than you'd get from just plain water. If the canned food doesn't thin down enough by simply pressing the 'liquify' button on the blender, you can add whatever liquids your cat can have. You can use water, of course, but I always try to cram as many calories as I can into every syringe.

The technique that kashmir64 kashmir64 described also works well for syringe feeding when you have to do it all by yourself. In my humble experience, I've found that the more control my cats feel they have, the more cooperative they'll be. And when you only have two hands, you need all the cooperation you can get. ;-)

If your cat doesn't tolerate a syringe well, maybe you could try one of those little nursing bottles for kittens like this. I know it makes me feel more confident since I can't accidentally scratch my cat's mouth up with a rubber tip if he moves unexpectedly, and the less stressed I am, the less stressed my cat is, and the easier it is to feed him.

Also, some cats just prefer different fountain styles. So don't give up on the idea.

Hang in there, hon. Sending lots of good wishes and vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you so much. I'll get that nursing kit as soon as possible for sure.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you to all of you who mentioned Pedialyte. I've never tried this. I'll get that today.
Just as an FYI, there's a link in this post about how to make your own Pedialyte if you need something to help tide you over until you can get to the store. You also might want to check out Tanya's site if you haven't already. I vaguely seem to remember reading something about Pedialyte over there at one time, but danged if I can remember what. ;-)

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's a product called the ez iv harness that holds the needle in place while giving subqs. I just recently heard of it and don't know anyone whose used it but it might be helpful in a situation like yours. Also I had a ckd cat that preferred to drink out of tall glasses, sometimes offering water in different types of glasses or bowls will make them want to drink more.

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's a product called the ez iv harness that holds the needle in place while giving subqs. I just recently heard of it and don't know anyone whose used it but it might be helpful in a situation like yours. Also I had a ckd cat that preferred to drink out of tall glasses, sometimes offering water in different types of glasses or bowls will make them want to drink more.
I tried using different containers but no help. Sometimes I just don't understand because people always say that with ckd cats would drink a lot and pee a lot but my cat just hate taking in any water and is peeing like every 6-8 hours. I'm confused and worried. He was once blocked 3 years ago and went through surgery so I'm very concerned.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If he is straining to urinate, yowling, and sitting in a hunched position with no urine production, then it sounds like a blockage. If he's urinating easily, then I don't think this is the problem; it's just dehydration.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat is at the same stage as yours, and sub-q's is not an option for me either, it will cause her to stay under my bed all day, literally living under there, and that is no way to spend the last months of her live, but I am able to keep her well hydrated through canned only food, not prescription, she won't go for that, she eats fancy feast.
Plus, since I am always conscious of her need for as much fluid as possible, any chance I get I do.
Water from tuna with a bit more water added, low sodium chicken broth, and cat sip kitty milk (it's a treat) will add water.
Any liquid that he will voluntarily and gladly drink on his own is the simplest and least stressful way to go.

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is at the same stage as yours, and sub-q's is not an option for me either, it will cause her to stay under my bed all day, literally living under there, and that is no way to spend the last months of her live, but I am able to keep her well hydrated through canned only food, not prescription, she won't go for that, she eats fancy feast.
Plus, since I am always conscious of her need for as much fluid as possible, any chance I get I do.
Water from tuna with a bit more water added, low sodium chicken broth, and cat sip kitty milk (it's a treat) will add water.
Any liquid that he will voluntarily and gladly drink on his own is the simplest and least stressful way to go.
Sorry to know about your cat but thank you so much for your reply. These days I'm really struggling between giving him sub-q and feeding him water using syringe. He reacts badly towards both methods but I totally understand I can't have him dehydrated. I'll keep trying to figure a way for him to drink in a more voluntarily way.

giton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he is straining to urinate, yowling, and sitting in a hunched position with no urine production, then it sounds like a blockage. If he's urinating easily, then I don't think this is the problem; it's just dehydration.
I'm using feliway to help with his feeling. I don't see him straining to urinate very much but he does sit in a hunched position every time after he finishes a meal for about 15-20 minutes. Should I be concerned about that?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not as far as a blockage, the biggest sign of a blockage is sitting in the litterbox in a peeing position for extended periods of time and producing nothing or very small amts, or in and out of the box without being able to go.
See if you can find what liquids he will go for so he doesn't need to be syringed or forced.

The purpose for the extra fluids is to help dilute the toxins that are building up in his body due to lack of kidneys doing their job, it also eases the stress on kidneys and diluting the toxins down makes him feel better, which is why cats show improvements for a short time after getting sub-q's.