My cat randomly peed on the carpet??

biblicalspaceangel

Katharine!
Kitten
Purraise
Context: We have a new cat who hides most of the day. We’ve had him for four days. He had been peeing in the litterbox fine and then today he pooped in the box but then decided to walk all the way to kitchen to the one carpet in there and pee on it. The carpet was all scrunched up and everything like he tried to bury it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many cats who like a second litter box to pee in. Since he is so new, there could be many reasons for him doing this. He could be trying to mark his new territory, (is he neutered? If not, that would help tremendously) He could have a urinary tract infection, so have his temp checked at vets if you are taking him in for a checkup,(watch his fro frequent trips to the litter box, or peeing a lot.) or it could be behavioral, which should really clear up when he gets more comfortable at his new home. Get a good ENZYME cat urine remover and spray any spots you find to remove the urine. It may be that he needs to be confined to a smaller area until he consistently uses the box, which often helps with new cats. I think he is upset and scared in his new environment and it will get better after he accepts his new home. I would get more litter boxes set around so he can find one easily, confine him to a smaller area, and try to make sure he is calm. bless you, for giving him a chance......

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him neutered as soon as you can before he starts making this a habit. Unneutered cats spray everything to establish territory. They also want outside and yowl a lot to get there. It makes them much calmer and happier. AND stops unwanted peeing on various surfaces. Also, tomcat urine is so incredibly stinky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biblicalspaceangel

Katharine!
Kitten
Purraise
So then if he doing it because hes nervous does that mean hes more nervous now or less nervous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biblicalspaceangel

Katharine!
Kitten
Purraise
So then if he doing it because hes nervous does that mean hes more nervous now or less nervous

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask a vet, but i give 1/4 tsp. Of miralax laxative mixed in an egg yolk. That usually does it for constipation. Maybe, if you get an appointment to have him neutered, you can get him to go into the carrier by throwing a treat to the back. I get my cats in by setting the carrier with the door faced up towards the ceiling and lowering them in, sometimes if you grab them by the skin on the back of the neck, they calm too.

CatWhisperer247

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Context: We have a new cat who hides most of the day. We’ve had him for four days. He had been peeing in the litterbox fine and then today he pooped in the box but then decided to walk all the way to kitchen to the one carpet in there and pee on it. The carpet was all scrunched up and everything like he tried to bury it.

I would get a large plastic or metal cage and put food and water, a bed, and of course a litter pan and litter in it. Leave a couple of cat toys in the cage too.Then cover it except for the front. The problem cat will feel more safe and secure with this setup. Whenever you go past the cage, talk gently to the cat and leave the cat a treat. This helps teach the cat that the cage is a safe place and when you positively interact with the cat, theres something good in it for the cat too...treats.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Getting a crate and encouraging him to see as a safe place is a great idea.
As you note he was recently constipated I think a second litter tray might be even more important. If cats have had a difficult or painful experience in a litter tray they can associate this long term and not want to go back there, either for what was painful or only what wasn't. Never mind wanting clean paws and no nasty smells. They are more sensitive than they like us to think.

One of my current cats will only pee in the tray if there's no trace of poop. A previous cat wouldn't poop in her tray and we eventually figured it was because peeing was painful due to an inflamed bladder and the tray meant pain to her.