My Cat Ran Away. Well, Sort Of...

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there guys,

As the title suggests, I've got an odd problem with our cat; she's an outdoor cat but has now taken to ignoring us completely and not coming back inside. At least not when anyone's around.

It's started about two weeks ago; usually, she'd be gone for a day max, and suddenly she left for four days in a row, returned for one night (after my mum carried her inside when she happened upon her in the garage), and has been gone ever since (doing a Houdini in the process because to our knowledge, everything crack was closed shut). Well, sort of. This is were it gets a little odd; she's roaming in the neighbourhood and around the house as well. I was up late at night I think three days ago and happened to see her through the rather big window/door that leads to our garden, strolling over our terrace a mere metre away; I turned the light on, opened the door, and she ran away (naturally to some extent because she doesn't particularly like me). I woke up my mum and sister (whom she both loves) who proceeded to look for her outside; I remained inside. They called for her, walked around, but no sign of her. I then proceeded to use a torch and see where the hell she could've gone myself and found her lying right on our neighbour's lawn, without a care in the bloody world. I returned, informed my mum and sister, who then looked for her but she had buggered off again, not to be seen again since.

The following day, I poured flour at the window she usually uses to enter; two days later, we saw cat paws leading inside and out again.

To make matters worse, we've come to get another cat, who's now where she'd be if she was in the house, i.e. the top floor in my flat. That means I currently can't leave the door open for her to come inside to avoid the other cat from going outside.

A short description of how and where we live: three storey house, entry for the cat is a basement window opening up to the street. We've got two dogs whom the cat knows but not particularly likes and avoids at all costs (one of the two is barking a fair bit), who can move freely between the ground floor and first floor. We live in a village which is surrounded by fields and woods; the field is closest to us but we don't live right next to it.

I'm a little puzzled at how to proceed now. The weather's turned bad recently, which I would've thought may be an incentive for her to come back in, but it's not really been the case, and I haven't seen her ever since. I can't entice her to come back inside, let alone catch her without risking scratches all over if I even got that close; only just got her to tolerate me inside thanks to the great advice I've got on this forum. My mum doesn't have the time and my girlfriend's not around right now, and she doesn't like men very much. It's not like she's gone completely or doesn't know her way back, it's just that she's kind of, I dunno, rejected/given up on us? I'm not really knowledgeable of cats, so I'm fairly stunted at what to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! If I were to guess, she's thoroughly disgusted with the dogs and probably not thrilled with the new cat.

With that said and of course it's just a guess, can you temporarily put the new cat elsewhere so that the original resident feline has a way inside?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your quick reply!

Yeah, she certainly doesn't like them, but they don't impede her going upstairs or down; the stairway leading from the cellar up to the second floor are dog-free, other than when we take them for a walk or when people come in, as the front door is located there as well. Also, we got the new cat while she was out and about, and she hasn't been upstairs since; the new cat has thus far only been in the upstairs flat, and we tend to smell of all sort of animals anyway, so I dunno in how far she might be aware of her at all; when she was inside, I'm fairly certain that she didn't go upstairs but just crashed in the cellar. Also, despite the dogs being there, she did visit other areas of the house before, and probably snuck out that way as well, i.e. through the door to the garden being open, dogs or no. At least that's the only logical explanation we've come up with so far, unless she's really learnt how to move through bloody walls.

As a matter of fact, she's most exposed to the dogs where she chose to run around, i.e. the garden, because we let them play there as well.

I'm certainly not discounting what you're saying, she may be aware of her for all I know, however, there's sadly no-one who could take care of her for a time. After all, we've only had her for 4 days (the other cat has been gone for almost 9 days now).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
hmmmm
would you want to arrange things so that you can borrow a trap, put it in the cellar, leave some of her favorite stinkiest food in the trap and catch her that way?

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Plot twist, we caught her today. Or rather, my mum did; she was in the garden; my mum first called her, was ignored, became more adamant, and finally the cat decided to answer and come to her. Now we've got her upstairs in the flat with the other cat; they had known each other before already (should've mentioned that, sorry), but yeah, they've taken to ignoring each other, with the occasional hiss here and there from the new resident. Which is nice, because she's all affectionate and cuddly now, but that's a problem for another time with these two, just glad we've got her back in.

To answer the other question, yes, she's spayed, we made sure she was so no accidents would happen when she's outside :p

Thanks again for all replies, I fear we may have to make use of them in the future should she do another Houdini, though I've got an incling that when setting up a trap may it likely catch the neighbour's cat rather than ours, just a feeling xD

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are trees, a fence, and a wall that allow her to get away from the dogs without a problem. I'm not too sure about your theory, however, since the entry to the house is dog-free (no dogs in the cellar or the entry area safe for when we take them for a walk), i.e. it's facing the street and has a car parked in front of it which hasn't been used in months. I'd presume this would warrant a hiding opportunity when using her entry hole; she's used it before - as a matter of fact, however, we think she's left by sneaking past the dogs and leaving through the garden exit. Perhaps she's too autistic to realise there's the other entry, which would be in opposition to our finding paw prints in the flour leading inside and out. Which, granted, may not be hers; the neighbour's cat had been loitering there before, so who knows. As to the litter box, again, she wasn't there when we got the new cat. We've provided her with a second litter box; she pondered using it but decided to go to the same one she's always used; this also goes for the new cat. Which is fine by me, only one box to look after :p
Bottom line is, I think, like Willowy said: cats are bloody weird. Maybe it's to do with age, too; she's only about 1.5 years old. While I don't know much about cats, deriving from my experience with horses and dogs, this would be a time where they're in sort of a rebellious age anyway. Do correct me if I'm wrong on this one, though.

mr1992

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by fixing it with a little work and knowledge, though?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
If it is the dogs she's not happy about, it would be the fact that the dogs are in the house. She can smell them, hear them, and is able to detect them no matter where they are, or aren't.

But, maybe that isn't what she cares about, and it is simply that cats are odd, sometimes totally unknowable creatures :)