My cat poops everywhere except her litter box

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrea i silva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will do the can thing you have suggested, but now that I know that she has pain when she goes how Can I help her use her box? I dont have acces to food spetially for cats with gastrintestinal problems, so I kinda need DIY ideas

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IndyJones is exactly right, please never hit her or spray water on her.

Pain is a major reason for why they go outside of their litter box. So we need to do something. Please post on the site for ideas about food options. I would think that more wet food and getting her to drink more could help soften her stools. But there are experts in food on the site that will give great advice. 

SO PLEASE try to get her to drink more water and eat more wet food. Play could be helpful as well but I think softening her stools could be more helpful.  

IF we can stop the pain through food and more water then I think we move towards to solving the problem hopefully.

Is your cat interested in running water? Maybe a water drinking fountain could be helpful to encourage her to drink more. We need to get her more hydrated.

Given all you said it seems like pain is the major reason for this behavior and I am guessing that she is going by your scent because she feels comforted by you (you love her). If one is in pain then they might go where someone they love so that they associate the pain with something that offsets the negative of pain and gives positive emotions.

I hate to take territory away from her but we may have to consider it. :( But solving her pain issue is very important.

At least I think we have a better idea of the cause and now we need to figure out and implement the solution.

andrea i silva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
Don't worry I would of never considered hiting her, but since I got that advice I was conflicted on what to do, well after playtime for the past few days i have helped my kitty poop I hold her and she poops still with effort but her stools are softer because I have steped up her water intake in like a tuna soup or chicken soup, and a veggie soup I made today she really liked, and about the bed, its still covered most of the day with plastic, but so far she hasent tried to poop in it. You broke my heart when you said she poops in my bed because it smells to me and she finds comfort in her pain, because I love her, like I cried and this has bee really hard for both of us, and I am willing to do anything for her!
So I will continue to take any advice you guys give me Because it has been very helpful, and I did start a post on cat health so we shall see how it goes, I will keep you posted. Thank you again for all your help it means so much to me, you have no idea how.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Andrea, I know you love her and she is SO LUCKY to have found you. I can't say enough how lucky she is to have you!!

I know it is very hard on both of you. She doesn't want to do this. Cats want to use the litter box but pain/medical issues or insecurity can cause them to go outside. They don't want to go outside.

I am so glad she is getting more water. I think that could be helpful. I hope the other post will lead to other good suggestions. If we can get her stools to be softer it could help.

Andrea, you are very welcome. We will be with you every step of the way. You are amazing, the love you have for her!! You are truly a wonderful person!! She knows you love her, trust me. 

Please let us know how things go. We will help for as long as needed.

mrbreezeet1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I take it you all disagree with the suggestion if locking her in the bathroom with her box for about a week.
Trust me, I'm no expert, but this was told to me by a very or shelter, (on the phone) and it worked.
Of course ymmv

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mrbreezeet1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is lucky to have someone nice like you.
I hope you get to the bottom. Of it.
I agree with trying to soften her stool.
You don't give her dry food do you?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

andrea i silva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey so I have tried reducing her dry food intake should I cut it all together, actually I did start a post in cat healt but nobody answered, I started playing with her at nights right before when she usually poops, and I take her to her box I try to make her go there but she stretches and wants to get out of it until she starts pooping like standing up, she has started pooping in my moms bed which is a whole new level of bad, if my mom finds out she well kick her out without thinking about it. I'm very worried I want to try to let her in the garden I assume that people that have cats let them out and they poop in the yard like ok no problem but the thing is my dogs, I will try to introduce them but there is a person that trains stray cats to try to get them in better behaviour to be adopted I have asked for his help maybe he can train my cat, I know most of the problem is pain but aside from the food and water I dont know what to do, The vet suggested laxatives like everyday but I dont think that will make her use the box I guess, but what do you think? Do you think it might work, ahe will go with him for two weeks and a friend said he might be able to train her. I am getting desperate, or I will put her up for adoption because this is just exausting nothing has worked and I am loosing hope. I want to cry because she is my baby, but its like getting worse instead of better. Desperate thats what I feel...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one thing that has worked for me to litter train kittens is to put the poop in the box, then put the kitten in the box. They smell it then cover it up. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for them to get it. However, she is in pain and this may or may not work. If your vet said laxatives, then maybe you could put a little coconut oil in her food.

andrea i silva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So what I read my cat has bottom line is dyschezia but I don't undestand if that is causing her to go in my bed, and in my moms bed and the carpet??? Should I lock her in my room like until she stops or should I do something else???

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Andrea,

I am so sorry for the delayed response. I am so sorry you are feeling so much stress. Remember the cat could be picking up on the stress so please try to be as calm and confident as possible (I know it is hard).

Cats instinctively want to use a litter box to cover up their scent. They typically don't use a litter box because of medical (I believe which is your case) or because of behavior (typically territorial insecurity to let other animals know that this territory is the cats).

I have taken in a lot of cats and have never had a cat not use the litter box unless a medical condition was present.

We have to make sure your mom's room is closed off or the cat can't in there. We don't want your mom to be upset.

If your vet suggests laxatives and they are for cats then I would use those as your vet suggests. I truly believe it is the pain that is causing her to go outside of the box.

Kashmir64 gives great advice on putting the poop in the box. So if she goes outside of the box putt it in there.

Your cat is peeing in the litter box, correct?

I just helped a person who had an outside cat, the cat only went outside even though the cat spend many hours inside. It seemed like the cat actually held it to go outside. Well, the cat had a procedure and had to be inside for days. The cat instinctively used the litter box. So I believe your cat will use the litter box as it is instinctive but I think we have to reduce the pain by softening the poop driven by more wet food and more water and if safe the laxatives as the vet recommends.

As long as you cat is getting enough wet food then I would cut down on the hard food.

For now given the seriousness with your mom I would probably keep her in your room and do what you can to soften her poop.

I know how hard this is on you. If we can cure the pain then I think we can solve this. And I think we can at least reduce the pain through softer poop. Is it getting a little softer since the changes you have made in the food?

I am not one to use medicines unless absolutely necessary but you may want to ask your vet about a pain medicine in the short term. Just to prove that if there isn't as much pain she will use the litter box. But I would like to try the wet food, more water, and vet recommended laxatives first. But if we are desperate and the vet thinks it is ok then we may have to try pain meds.

Letting her outside does cause other issues (risks). So I probably wouldn't consider that just yet. But I understand the seriousness of the situation.

andrea i silva

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello so sorry for the late response
so in this time beeing I tried another number of things: a friend suggested to lock her in the bathroom with her bowl of food and the litter box, she explained that for some mystical reason the cat would not go in the floor because the floor is cold because of the material, its ceramic, but guess what? my cat went on the floor like if there was no other place to go. i had her in there for a week. You have no idea how hard that was, she cried, I would go in and pet her and play with he but never took her outside, it was sad. My mom thought that was probably my worst idea ever and told me to get the cat out, cuzz she felt bad for her (shocking) anyways I decided content resignation and just like a shoganai (in japanese "what can you do" when you totally give up kinda phrase) attitude was what I decided to do. bought a big piece of plastic to cover my bed, came claen with my mom about the pooping situation and just decided to lock the cat in my room which is much bigger than the bathroom and it has a deck so she has a lot of space, althow she loved running free threw the house, but what could I do? I had honestly tried everything. last week a Uncle came to visit, I totally didn't take him as a cat person which he isn't but for some reason the cat came in to conversation in a family reunion, I told everyone my struggle and he mentioned a friend he has with a cat with a similar problem, he told me you know you should hold her with one hand make her stand in her two bottom paws and make her do squats in her box as you massage her belly with the other hand he said that helped the cats poop when they have these problems. and give her water in a baby bottle cause cats love to suckle on baby bottles. I was shocked at the advice he said it works like a charm. Well we have gotten this far, you now endless articles and cat forums, websites and advices, probably 1000$ in treatments foods and appliances to help the cat poop in her freacking box and well nothing. So what is a little squat and baby bottle going to do to me? well at this point nothing. I gave it one last stretch, bought two hudge litter boxes, put them side by side in my closet which is a walking closet FYI and started doing the squat thing.....you know what? it worked!!! i make her do like 20 squats and 10 minutes later there she is pooping, and you know where??? her box!!!! thats right I had to help her the first days, now instead of jumping out of her boxes she goes in circules in side the boxes until she finally poops!!! who could be more happy about the cat pooping, I think No one but me!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! This makes me SO HAPPY!!

I have never heard of this but if it works it works!! Your Uncle is AWESOME!!

My fingers are crossed that it will continue to work.

Please let us know how things go. I wish you the best of luck!!