My cat pees on the carpet when she's mad

coolade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know the first thing I'm going to see is "cat's don't pee from behavior issues". Mine does. I have a healthy 14 year old persian that has peed on my carpets from time to time throughout her life when she feels she isn't getting enough attention. I got married 10 years ago and have two children. My husband and oldest child are slightly allergic to cats, but they have to come in physical contact with her. We have recently shut the door to our bedroom at all times, so she can't come in and further bother my husbands allergies. So she peed on my carpet and stared at me as I cleaned up the mess. Yesterday she snuck in the room, so I put her out and shut the door. She peed on the carpet and again watched me clean it up. BTW, she peed right in the middle of the large carpet in my family room both times, clearly wanting it to be seen.

She has always been a difficult cat, but I love her and couldn't give her away. Now, I'm having a harder time dealing with the increasing acting out. She also screams outside my door and my children's doors in the very early morning (5ish) before any of us are up, thus waking us up. She gets a lot of attention from me and my husband, despite the fact he's allergic to her. Her litter box is cleaned daily and she always has fresh food and water. 

There is not a doubt in my mind she is acting out because she's angry. I'm not looking for a solution, there is none that's reasonable with my husband and childs allergies. I just wanted to share.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she snuck into the room when the door was open and you put her out, I would say she's very upset at being locked out and because she is 14 years old can't hold the urine in when she's upset or scared. I think it always has been from being upset, not from spite. The acting out is increasing because she's getting older. She may even have the beginnings of dementia. I feel for her because she doesn't understand why she is being shut out of a place she knows you are in, she just wants to be with you. I feel for you too because it's never fun to have to clean up messes and put up with behaviors you don't like. But try to have a little compassion for an aging lady. I would gladly clean up messes every day if I could have one more day with my little one who I lost 13 months ago. They aren't in our lives forever. I wish you luck, and hopefully she'll get used to the change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coolade

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I know she's just upset because she wants to be near us, but it makes my husband's allergies worse to the point where it disrupts his sleep. I can't give her away (who would want a cat that pees on the carpet anyway) or put her down (too much guilt). This is a no win situation that makes me never want to have a cat again. Ugh.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
does she have a litter box near by when she's peeing in the middle of your family room?

Her age should definitely be taken into consideration, and because she is a lot older now, maybe you should take her to the vet to get her checked out. Maybe this behavior is stemming from a health issue....you never know.

I would suggest having more litter boxes that is accessible to her, boxes where she can get to in a hurry. also maybe you should try cat attract litter as seen here:

from the reviews i've been reading, a lot of people with much older cats have been helped by it. 

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Help with nighttime meowing:

Excessive Nighttime Meowing: Do You Have a Meow Clock?

by Mieshelle Nagelschneider

There is nothing quite like waking up to the jarring sound of your cat’s steady meows. In the corresponding groggy frustration, it’s important to remember that she’s not purposely torturing you. Cats use vocalized cues, such as hissing, yowling, and growling, to communicate with each other– meows, on the other hand, are more commonly reserved for communicating with humans. If she has been waking you up in the middle of the night, or earlier than you’d like in the morning, consider what she is trying to communicate to you.

Not enough activity. If your cat isn’t stimulated enough during the day, she may be up all night, attempting to work out her pent-up energy. Remedy this problem by incorporating more enriching activities into your cat’s day, such as food puzzles, climbing frames, non-toxic cat grasses, and toys. You may also try creating several feeding stations around the home so she will have to search for her food. These tactics will keep her awake and stimulated for more of the day and help her sleep better throughout the night.

Early internal hunting alarm clock. A typical hunting time for cats is between 3 and 5am, but you can try to reset your cat’s hunting time clock to a more human-friendly time. Try triggering her prey drive later in the evening by maneuvering a wanded toy for her. Dishing out her last meal of the day after the play time will help her feel like she caught, killed, and ate her prey. You can then groom (brush) your cat, as she would normally do herself after a hunt, to help relax her.

Feeding needs adjusting. If your cat isn’t being fed late enough in the evening, it may be causing her to wake you up early. Try offering several smaller meals throughout the day (which will help keep her awake and stimulated), including a later evening meal. Timed feeders and food puzzles are great options for easily achieving multiple and prolonged meals.

Owner reinforcement is a secondary problem that often develops after the issue initially causes the meowing. Once you have pinpointed the problem and made the necessary changes to your cat’s environment, stop acknowledging her when she wakes you up. The meowing may temporarily worsen once you stop reacting, as she pulls out all the stops to regain your attention (perhaps even resorting to measures like knocking books off your nightstand). Standing your ground will pay off. Addressing the problems listed above, then refusing to reinforce her behavior, will have you on the sweet road to restful sleep (for both you and her) in no time.

Read more at http://love.theanimalrescuesite.com...do-you-have-a-meow-clock/#ZrS5Mw57Ol5yxS3G.99

Last edited:

citress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in a similar boat. To the OP, do you have an update? My cat is around 11 yo. We've had her for 7-8 years now. During that time, we got married and had two children. Just this year and particularly in the last few months, he's started to pee in my family room (the most used room in the house) whenever he's mad. An example trigger is if the whole family leaves the house and he is "left behind". He meows loudly pacing around anxiously. He will try to escape the house when we open the door to come back in. In retaliation, he would either pee in full view of us in the family room or when no one is around. Another example is if I put him in the bathroom when he starts to throw up a hair ball. If it's early in the morning, I put him in there and go back to sleep. He could be in there for a couple hours. Lately, he would go back in to pee or poop in the bathroom after being left out. The oddest thing is that none of these "triggers" are anything new. I've always put him in the bathroom when he starts to gag. We've always gone out as a family. He's always been an indoor cat. So I don't understand. My only conclusion after taking to my vet is that with the birth of our kids, my cat has been more and more stressed and therefore, becoming less and less tolerant of other stress factors. In any case, we are going to try anti depressants to see if it helps.