my cat pees in the bathtub

nikki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a russian blue that is 3 yrs old. He normally pees in the litterbox, but for some strange reason usually once a day he will pee in the bathtub. I think he purposly waits for the alarm to go off in the morning and then runs and pees just to piss my fiance off before he takes a shower. How can I get him to stop short of closing the bathroom door? We live in an old bldg. and it gets too cold to keep the door closed.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to the forums Nikki,

I don't think your cat is being so manipulative... Maybe he feels so excited that you guys are finally getting up that he just can't control himself and runs off to the nearest spot? Tell your fiance it's a kind of compliment really

I think you should first take him to the vet and rule out any medical cause. Peeing outside the litter box (even if it's not all the time) could indicate a urinary tract disease - neutered males his age are particularly prone to this condition.

After the vet gives you the all clear, you can start looking into behavioral reasons. Could you tell us when has the cat started this behavior? How are things in general? Any other misbehaviors? What do you do when you find out about this?

Cheer up! The bathtub is easier to clean than the carpet

penny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well,I wondered if my 4 year old desexed male burmese was the only cat to do this! Apparently not.
My cat regularly pees in the shower.
My husband says 'he knows that's where the water goes'. He (my husband, not the cat)is very tolerant. And as you say, Anne, it's easier to clean the shower/bathtub than it is to clean the carpet.
Do you think maybe it's a peculiarity of purebred cats? I note that your cat is a Russian Blue, Nikki.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Could be... I've heard Burmese are quite peculiar in many ways. I know that Siamese have certain behavioral traits (such as vocalization and a tendecy towards chewing wool). I'm not much of an expert on any breed though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This all started with a urinary tract infection. He has a special food he eats to help maintain urinary tract health. Feline CD/S. Hills? When he wasn't feeling well, he would always go in the bathtub, but I think now he does it out of habit. Unfortunately, my fiance is not as tolerable as Penny's husband. I've tried a spray that is supposed to keep him off certain things, but once I spray it he just goes in and plays with it even more. Any ideas on how to break his bad habit?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have never heard of cat going in the tub just because. I would not put it past him that it is either a habit or he knows it makes hubby mad. Cats are very good about letting you know when something has or is upsetting them. If he is okay health wise, then it is just behavior. I have known a lot of cats who are de clawed to show this behavior. You could try switching litter to see if maybe that is what he is telling you. Or the only other thing I can think of is to line some cans filled with pennies on the tub so it startles him when he jumps in. Or try lining the bottom of the tub with some aluminum foil and have hubby take it out when he gets in the shower. I wish you all the best of luck!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Another option - maybe keep the bathroom closed just for a few days, to break his habit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for everyones help! I use Feline Pine, and have for over a year. What I like most about it is for my two cats, an 8 lb. bag lasts for about 6 weeks, and it keeps odor to a minimum. I'm going to try to fasten the shower curtain somehow so he can't get in and see how that works. I'll keep ya posted.

golden bee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, a 2 year old female, did the same thing. We kept the bathroom door closed.  Just this morning she peed right OUTSIDE the bathroom door.  Meow.  We have a larger problem now.  I cant wait to see what happened with u guys.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, a 2 year old female, did the same thing. We kept the bathroom door closed.  Just this morning she peed right OUTSIDE the bathroom door.  Meow.  We have a larger problem now.  I cant wait to see what happened with u guys.
Well, this thread is 15 years old, so you may not get an update!

The first step is to take your cat to the vet to rule out medical issues.

Then, address your cleaning and litter boxes. Anywhere she has gone inappropately needs to be cleaned with an enzyme cleaner. How many litter boxes do you have? How many cats? How often do you clean the litter boxes?