My cat needs to switch to mostly dry or all dry

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is used to 4/5’s of his diet being wet. If he pigs out on dry food, he gets the runs. He has bladder crystals and needs the dry food (he is way to picky to get him on the healthy wet food.)

Any idea how I transition him to dry food from 4 meals of 1.5 oz a day?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is used to 4/5’s of his diet being wet. If he pigs out on dry food, he gets the runs. He has bladder crystals and needs the dry food (he is way to picky to get him on the healthy wet food.)

Any idea how I transition him to dry food from 4 meals of 1.5 oz a day?
May I ask why you want him on dry?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is the vet recommending the dry prescription food to reduce the crystals? You can definitely start giving that.

There are "over the counter" urinary brands from Purina, Blue Buffalo and many others that are inexpensive wet food options. My boy hasn't had a flare up of crystals in 10 years and is on Purina Urinary. Though, during his first year there were still flares as the crystals came out.

Just to keep in mind, there's not really any studies to show that any particular food is healthier for any cat with no medical conditions. Studies are usually for cats with medical conditions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet wants him on urinary care prescription and he is a crazy picky bastard about his wet food.... he wouldn’t eat the wet.

Honestly I’m kinda confused here. PetMD says no study has been proven to work to reduce crystals and that extra hydration is the best thing. Today I’m just forcing him to eat only wet with a 1/2 can of water added to each can. (He gets fed 2 cans a day.) Wouldn’t an extra wet with extra water, all wet be healthier than the prescription dry food? I’m scratching my head on this one. 🤷🏻‍♀️

⭐I am also trying to figure out if bone broths are safe for bladder crystals. I’m thinking an extra saucer of goats milk every day would help hydrate him or mix Ming the bone broth into his wet food.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs at least 12 flavors of wet food each month (plus I rotate it), it must all be on gravy, he rejects healthy wet food, no shrimp and isn’t to fond of salmon. Trying to get my picky fancy feast lover on healthy wet seems impossible! I tried adding slightly more wet food of chicken to my tuna loving brat...... 6 months later I had only gotten him to eat 1/3 chicken mixed in with his tuna and something wet food!!!! So I gave up but 1/3 of his wet food is chicken/turkey/beef.... he nibbles then eats dry food! 🙄

Given how insanely picky he is, I can’t imagine how I can get him onto a healthy wet food! The sweet little brat will starve himself over eating food he dislikes! He went 24 hours without eating before I gave up on the food wars,

So I can switch him to royal canin urinary care OR feed him only his regular wet food with extra water. Which is better?

He is always slightly constipated from not drinking enough water (despite his fountain and bowl of water that is changed daily. Which is why I’m thinking wet only with extra water might be the solution.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I can switch him to royal canin urinary care OR feed him only his regular wet food with extra water. Which is better?
Both. At least until you can get him tested to see if the crystals are no longer prevalent. Also, test him with the dry food by just adding a bit to some water and see if he will eat the dry 'soggy'. And maybe not add soooo much water to the canned food - diluting it too much might detract him from wanting to eat it because it can reduce the amount of flavor in the food.

Folks on here talk about Hydracare as an additive to water to help entice a cat to drink. I have not used it, but as I said, others have.
PURINA PRO PLAN VETERINARY DIETS Hydra Care Liver Flavored Liquid Supplement for Cats, 3-oz pouch, case of 12 - Chewy.com

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
am also trying to figure out if bone broths are safe for bladder crystals. I’m thinking an extra saucer of goats milk every day would help hydrate him or mix Ming the bone broth into his wet food.
Hi, you commented in your other thread about needing low ash, see if you can research or talk to a nutritionist about the goat milk and bone broth.

Diplomate Directory

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to try one and test him every 3 or 6 months for a bit, until I figured out what works for him. Then probably every year.

The last thing I want is to hear those sorrowful moaning meows again! 🥲 He is kinda stoned on pain medication this week, hence my wanting to help flush him out now. The crystals were mild for crystals but I would rather nip it in the but.

⭐Bone broth aside I figure whole goat milk is safe because they would not add stuff. So no matter what he will get that added to his diet along with the diluted churo tubes. ATM I have given him diluted lickable tuna/whitefish treats a few times just to try to get extra water in him a few days ago (when he was throwing up from the gabapentin..... his new extra strong pain medication doesn’t make him vomit.)

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get the prescription diet in canned form. The dry food is what can lead to crystals, prescription or not. All dry food is full of carbohydrates. Cats cannot process carbs.
Look at the website catinfo.org.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will not touch the prescription stuff. His wet food requirements: lots of tuna with something, bits in gravy, 16 flavors or more that are rotated, prefers turkey /beef over chicken loves fancy feast I actually sort out his month of food to get the most variety and 1/3 of the cans are not tuna. He often nibbles on dry food more when he gets the non tuna dinners.

I tried to get him to switch to non tuna wet food and over 6 months starting with 1/10th chicken and 9 parts fancy feast tuna I got him eating begrudgingly 1 part chicken 2 parts tuna!! I tried toppers and everything. He starved himself for an entire day over eat food he disliked!

Given how crazy picky & stubborn he is I just don’t see him eating the new wet food. I tried tiki cat and that was a huge nope! I don’t have money to waste if he won’t eat it. This is why I see it as keep the current wet food he will eat or urinary care dry food he will eat.

Over the coming months I will buy some single cans of urinary care to see if he will eat any of it. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ I will try to incorporate some in his diet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here's just one example. This study was on glucosamine for urinary issues as they found cats with urinary issues had lower levels of glucosamine. They ended up finding that wet food was a better prevention: Oral glucosamine and the management of feline idiopathic cystitis - PubMed

Just checking in: Is he fed on a schedule? Will he eat more of a new wet food with coaxing?
Have you tried "the rule of 3"? (Where you offer 1/3 of a can new food, fridge the rest. He tastes and doesn't get sick. Then a few days later you offer 1/3 can again and repeat for the last 3rd)

Rule of 3 works for some cats because pickiness is not a bad thing. It's a instinctive safety net. New food can kill (in the wild).

Yes extra water to his regular wet food would be beneficial. Basically you want to get all the water into him to flush out the stones. At once place we lived we had to add a Brita filter on the tap because the cats wouldn't drink it though our city said it was safe to drink.

Some food ideas. All "over the counter" versions:

- Purina urinary has a variety box of Ocean Whitefish, Chicken and Turkey with Giblets
- Authority has one that's Oven Fish in broth

- Purina one urinary tract health comes.in beef and salmon. It's not available in my area but if you can find it he might like it.

- Foraza10 urinary is fish. Not available in my area so can't review for you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried adding extra water to regular wet cat food, but as I was reading this thread an idea poked its way into my thoughts. When you add extra water to human food, it dilutes the taste, sometimes making food beyond bland to about the same as paper. Have you done the same to your cat's cat food? Could this be why he's getting more dislike his wet food? If you think maybe, can you add some of the flavor flakes to the diluted wet food?

Flavor flakes - I have no idea of the name of any of them, but many members talk about them and I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never tried adding extra water to regular wet cat food, but as I was reading this thread an idea poked its way into my thoughts. When you add extra water to human food, it dilutes the taste, sometimes making food beyond bland to about the same as paper. Have you done the same to your cat's cat food? Could this be why he's getting more dislike his wet food? If you think maybe, can you add some of the flavor flakes to the diluted wet food?

Flavor flakes - I have no idea of the name of any of them, but many members talk about them and I'm sure they'll be able to help you.
I'm guessing you're thinking of bonito fish flakes?

I was going to recommend -- I water down my cat's wet food too (history of insane urinary stones prior to her adoption) and sometimes I add too much water and she doesn't eat it and looks at me like :think: so I sprinkle a tiny bit of freeze-dried chicken crumbs on top and that ALWAYS gets her to eat it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed him wet 4 times a day. I took away his dry food he would nibble on. He is eating the extra water wet food..... so much he got the runs so I let him have dry food for one of his meals. So far he has rejected the semi soggy dry food, even if I use broth.

I am wondering about the water quality though, we have crazy hard water here. I will be asking the vet about the mild acid that you add to your cat’s food to break up bladder stones. Apparently it is a Ingredient in lots of urinary care foods.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DL- methionine supplement not a acid. Any way I will ask the vet about it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some cats don't care for the smell of the chemicals we put in water to protect everyone. You might try saving the water in a glass jar or pitcher for 24-48 hours before offering it to him. Our vet said that allows the chemicals to dissipate and some cats prefer that. I say use a glass jar/pitcher to avoid the plastic scent from entering the water.