my cat Mojo has a lump on his face/neck I am so upset

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted my 6 month old boy kitten "Mojo" from the local animal shelter 12 days ago. I was told he came with junior gingivitis but it had been treated and to have him checked on by a vet in 3-4 months time. He is an indoor cat. Now, this morning I notice and feel a lump under one side of his neck. He has been lethargic but he is not in any pain in that area and lets me feel and touch the area with out any problems. However is definitely not feeling well. Just sleeping in his bed all day and night and eating & drinking a little.

Now, at this time I am not prepared to incur and "emergency" pet bills. Where I live it's in the $1000's of dollars. I wasn't really expecting this. I am at my wits end and I feel horrible. There are so many reasons his lump could be there. All of which are not good. Now here is the hard part. With this adoption I was given a 14 day return policy and have spoken with the shelter and they will take him back within the time frame and I would get a refund. I have 2 days to decide what to do. Should I wait 24 hrs and see if his condition worsens or improves? I wish I knew what was wrong and how serious it is but all I hear is "take him to a vet". I called a friend and cat owner and she said her cats would have similar issues and they would just "get better" on their own.

I am so attached to this little guy and I feel terrible. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
they would just "get better" on their own.
I doubt it, since you've had him for a couple weeks and he's been lethargic, not eating or drinking like a 6 month old should (ordinarily they're eating machines), etc.

If you return him and take or donate the refund, will they provide him the vet care he needs?
Should I wait 24 hrs
I wouldn't. I think you have a rather sick kitten based on your description of his behavior. I'm so sorry to hear this. Maybe there's something here if you haven't seen it already.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that if you can get some kind of a vet check, you will be better able to make a decision. Even if you go to a private vet, the price of an office visit should not be prohibitive. However, if money is an issue, stand firm on needing some kind of discussion about the possibilities. If affordable imaging is possible, or a blood test, that might also help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the kind advice. Right now I too conflicted and upset. I am afraid I am going to have to give him back to the shelter which I can do with the next 2 days. I am just hoping for a miracle I guess.

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I doubt it, since you've had him for a couple weeks and he's been lethargic, not eating or drinking like a 6 month old should (ordinarily they're eating machines), etc.

If you return him and take or donate the refund, will they provide him the vet care he needs?

I wouldn't. I think you have a rather sick kitten based on your description of his behavior. I'm so sorry to hear this. Maybe there's something here if you haven't seen it already.
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles
Until yesterday basically he has been eating and drinking normally like a 6 month old kitten should. It seems like this started out of nowhere. Today he did eat most of meals but he wasn't bugging me to be fed like usual.

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I said in my previous thread Mojo had a swollen face and jaw. He was also lethargic and not eating my very much. I still have no idea what may have caused this but I have a feeling he had some sort of problem with his teeth. When I adopted him I was made aware that he was treated for junior feline gingivitis.

Well today he's making a great recovery and back to normal. His facial swelling has gone down somewhat and his crazy kitty energy level is back! For the last 2 days while he was so lethargic I was able to use a cold compress on the side of his face that was swollen. After about 5 minutes of using the compress about three to four times a day it seemed to help. I think it was drawing whatever infection out. Yesterday he started to feel a little better, was eating, drinking a lot and was starting to chase flies again.

Then this morning he was awake before me and when I called him and asked if he was hungry he bounced in the air and ran over right to get right in front of my face! Then he did his "feed me dance" and started meowing "hurry up" with his food. He was so excited he was rubbing all over me and happy. I have not seen him do this in almost 3 days. This morning we had a little play session and he ate all his food. Now he is playing on his window ledge chirping at a squirrel he can see. I also got him some special drops to put in his water to help keep his teeth clean from tarter and plaque buildup.

I am soooo relieved!!! :yess::hyper:

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well now that Mojo has recovered from his face swelling episode his energy is 100% back and he only knows one speed to follow me around the house which is 100 mph. :flail:

He has also taken to knocking stuff off my computer table and wacking it around on the floor or flailing around the place anywhere between 2am-5am. Oh he also knows how to come wake me up to be fed by jumping on my bed and sitting on me meowing. :catrub:

He's doing normal teenage kitty things I am soooo happy! :yess:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI on another recent thread there is ongoing discussion about pet insurance. Might be something to consider now, while your lil guy is healthy (hooray!) & save you $ down the road.