MY CAT MIGHT HAVE SWALLOWED A NEEDLE!!!

Rangga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My dad was sewing and left to go to the bathroom and I was in the kitchen and look at my cat and saw her eating a peace of thread
with a needle in the end of it so I ran trying to catch her to remove the needle but she kept on hiding in palaces I couldn’t reach and then I saw the needle half way in her mouth I think she was try to spit it out but couldn’t because the thread was attach to it and she has probably swollen it when I finally caught up to her I saw the needle was gone and I started freaking out even more. I was able to open her mouth but couldn’t see anything so I look all over the house but couldn’t find anything. She has been fine and acting normal and I feed her some wet food and she ate it. I really want it take her to the emergency vet but I lose my job because of COVID-19 and I can’t even pay for my apartment bill for next month. Please tell me what I need to do!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does your dad realize she may have eaten the needle? See if he would be willing to get your cat to the vet.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You do need to find a way to get to the vet. Maybe your dad can borrow you enough to cover it. A swallowed needle can get stuck anywhere in the digestive system, cause a blockage or infection and kill your cat. I think an X-ray will show if the needle is inside and where it is.

Tami1891

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so... I just went through this over the past 24 hours. My daughters kitten ( who is very busy) swallowed a sowing needle ( thread attached). She was historical. We tried to retrieve it before it went down... he wasn’t having it. So I immediately did some reading. And while tons of sites said vet ASAP... we couldn’t ( due to time). So I did more research... I read where tuna soaked bread will help ( I gave him 4 pieces). He got an extra can of kitten food ( 3 total). I checked his throat, tongue, and milk ( bc I knew he’d drink it over water). And we waited. I prayed last night. This morning I made sure he mewed for me. I gave him more tuna soaked bread. His attitude was as it always is. I made sure I could hold him with no pain. He was fine. I contacted a vet. He said if he’s acting fine, eating and drinking he should be ok. To continue to watch for things like blood in stools, loss of appetite, not drinking, change in personality. None of that ever happened! I checked his stools this morning. No needle! I checked his stools this afternoon... AND THERE IT WAS. It was safely surrounded in stool ( and a little piece of fabric he must have swallowed from her kit). He was completely fine. He never knew it was there. And he is still running around like crazy... like always. We love Leo. And we are so glad he’s ok. My daughter has learned ( the hard way) to be more careful with her supplies.

Tami1891

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You do need to find a way to get to the vet. Maybe your dad can borrow you enough to cover it. A swallowed needle can get stuck anywhere in the digestive system, cause a blockage or infection and kill your cat. I think an X-ray will show if the needle is inside and where it is.
Luckily my Leo just dodged a bullet... he swallowed a sewing needle last night. No vet was open. I actually found a few stories where tuna soaked bread helps surround the needle in his system. I gave him 4 pieces total ( 3 last night, one today) he got an extra can of kitten food ( 3 total). I made sure I didn’t see the needle in his mouth or throat. I made sure I could rub his throat without pain... he drank plenty of fluids. He played as normal. I made sure he meowed to me this morning. I contacted a vet. Let them kno my kitten swallowed a needle but he’s eating drinking and acting completely normal. He said to just keep an eye on him and take him in if anything changes or I see blood in stools. Anyway. I found the needle ( thread attached) in his afternoon stool in his litter box! It didn’t pass in his morning stools. My cat never knew it was there. I never found blood... the sewing needle was safely surrounded in a large stool. And my very sad daughter learned a difficult lesson. It was so scary for us. BUT MY LEO WAS OK. It isn’t a remove or die situation.

Tami1891

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dad was sewing and left to go to the bathroom and I was in the kitchen and look at my cat and saw her eating a peace of thread
with a needle in the end of it so I ran trying to catch her to remove the needle but she kept on hiding in palaces I couldn’t reach and then I saw the needle half way in her mouth I think she was try to spit it out but couldn’t because the thread was attach to it and she has probably swollen it when I finally caught up to her I saw the needle was gone and I started freaking out even more. I was able to open her mouth but couldn’t see anything so I look all over the house but couldn’t find anything. She has been fine and acting normal and I feed her some wet food and she ate it. I really want it take her to the emergency vet but I lose my job because of COVID-19 and I can’t even pay for my apartment bill for next month. Please tell me what I need to do!
Was you’re kitty ok? We just went thru this... I didn’t sleep last night! I posted some tips I looked up and what a vet on just answer site instructed in this thread.

Tami1891

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok so... I just went through this over the past 24 hours. My daughters kitten ( who is very busy) swallowed a sowing needle ( thread attached). She was historical. We tried to retrieve it before it went down... he wasn’t having it. So I immediately did some reading. And while tons of sites said vet ASAP... we couldn’t ( due to time). So I did more research... I read where tuna soaked bread will help ( I gave him 4 pieces). He got an extra can of kitten food ( 3 total). I checked his throat, tongue, and milk ( bc I knew he’d drink it over water). And we waited. I prayed last night. This morning I made sure he mewed for me. I gave him more tuna soaked bread. His attitude was as it always is. I made sure I could hold him with no pain. He was fine. I contacted a vet. He said if he’s acting fine, eating and drinking he should be ok. To continue to watch for things like blood in stools, loss of appetite, not drinking, change in personality. None of that ever happened! I checked his stools this morning. No needle! I checked his stools this afternoon... AND THERE IT WAS. It was safely surrounded in stool ( and a little piece of fabric he must have swallowed from her kit). He was completely fine. He never knew it was there. And he is still running around like crazy... like always. We love Leo. And we are so glad he’s ok. My daughter has learned ( the hard way) to be more careful with her supplies.
D4103B8D-5746-4D8A-8495-874EEB9D476D.jpeg

WOW WOW WOW