My Cat might be lonley?

Rainbow77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In November of 2021, My siblings and I lost our apartment. My grandmother graciously took us in but she does not like cats. I have 4 cats and two were allowed to stay in the basement with me and the other 2 were put upstairs with my sisters. My cats get plenty of exercise and love, but recently my youngest, 2 year old Loki, has been crying at the door every time I need to leave the room and even when I haven't left yet. I dont think he misses the other two cats because they didn't have the best relationship before, and he seems really happy spending time with his sister who is with him.

He's used to being able to wander the whole house and I hoped he just needed to adjust. I'm worried that I might not be doing enough for him. Should I take him outside more? I feel like I'm failing as a cat parent and I really need some help.
Snapchat-1353432751.jpg
20220303_080839.jpg Snapchat-1583236360.jpg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing your very best by them, and I think, like anyone, it just takes time to adjust. Routine in their lives will assist w/ that. I wonder if a cat tree might help. I think it’s great Loki has his sister. Here’s hoping they are all spayed or neutered so your grandma doesn’t have to deal w/ even more cats! (Does she really hate cats ALL that much, or, just has never been exposed to them? They can win you over).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rainbow77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! They do have a cat tree that they spend a lot of time on. I did go up in hours at my job and so I havent been home as much. That may be what upset Loki. As for my grandmother; she doesn't hate cats as much as she hates cleaning up fur. She likes everything to be very cleanly.

tatonka1233

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Loki probably has a case of separation anxiety. My cat Cinnamon would do the same thing when I got a job after school. It is more than likely that he just wants you to stay with him 24/7, I would spend as much time with him when you can and then getting him some toys that move around just so he can stay focused on playing rather than you leaving or being gone.

cleoandsuki87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IME it's in a cat's nature to want to get to something they can't have. I would think it's less that he doesn't want you to leave, and more that he's wondering what's on the other side of that door and why he can't go there. I'm not sure how to solve that, but I wouldn't worry so much about him being lonely, especially if he's meowing at the door when you're still in the basement with him.