My Cat May Need Surgery

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She vomits alot and is on cisapride and lacllacul. I fear an obstruction but no idea the cost the vet here doesn't take carecredit and I don't know how to get a loan since I am on SSDI I don't know what to do. I hope it isn't a large hairball and afraid she is turning anerexic. What can I do for my cat I hate losing her

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
What is her name? How old is she? People need to know everything to help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is 11 and her name is Melody she seems less energetic and vomit alot I thought cisapride qnd laculouse is working cause Monday she vomited once so thought it was a good sign.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you elaborate a little?

How long has Melody had the vomiting? What does the vomit look like? How often does she vomit? Is she eating? Is she losing weight? How are her stools? Is she grooming herself? Is she playing? Anything else new with her?

I’m glad the meds are helping her.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
If the medications are helping her, keep giving them, but don't expect drugs to be a long-term solution. It is important to get an actual diagnosis.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She doesn't have energy to play and I am afraid all the vomiting will cause that heptnis lipis I can't spell. She vomited 3 times I am worried since I can't get to a emergency vet but have no funds I talked to vet thutsdaT they should have done something right there. This is dangerous if she doesn't eat well

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Can you obtain some gerber stage 2, or beechnut meat baby food that has no onion or garlic in it?
Can you boil some unseasoned chicken and rice in a 50:50 ratio and give that to her?
I'm not suggesting this but rather using it as an explanation; there are some vets who withhold food and water from a cat for 12 to 24 hours, so you may be ok for a little while.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind would that be which has no onion

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
The disease is called hepatic lipidoses. It is caused by not eating for two days and causes vomiting, not the other way around.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that not eating can be dangerous. Ideally, she would have an endoscopy and an intestinal biopsy to rule our IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease). But an empiric trial of steroids could be useful. Ask your vet about that (you can phone him). Prednisolone (a steroid) is not expensive.

In the short term, if she’s not eating, she needs to be force-fed. You can do that with a syringe and food that you put through the blender after diluting it a bit with water.

For baby food, read the ingredients to see if there is onion in it. Avoid giving your cat any food that contains onion.

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't afford a endoscopy but I will see if he can get me meds

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind would that be which has no onion

Remember, Human baby foods are not complete diets for cats so only use them temporarily or mixed with regular cat food.

You can put any canned cat food through a blender with some water to turn it into soup for easier eating. Some brands of foods are in gravy which would make a tastier soup. Try the Weruva line of food or any Fancy Feast.

Try getting financial help for vet bills from one of these organizations:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
Financial Aid for Pets

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I noticed my cat abnominal is swollen like it looks tight I didn't want to press hard just felt around I hope this isn't cancer related . Years ago she had bloody diarrhea but that went under control