My cat mainly just wants to be on my lap.

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a first time cat owner, and I thought cats were supposed to be somewhat independent, but my cat just wants to sit on my lap all the time. when I get up from the sofa or chair, Jack, who is a five-year-old, follows me wherever I go and meows at me until I sit down and he gets on my lap again. Does my cat have anxiety?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome!! This is a recent rescue, right? (Read your other post - forgot to say welcome then, sorry) It could be from whatever environment he came from that makes him a bit needy, or that he still feels a bit insecure in your home, OR it could just be his personality. See how things play out over time. It could just be that you have one very loving cat! Enjoy it while you can, because if he does change, you might just miss it!
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide
Why Do Cats…? A Guide To Understanding Feline Behavior

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again, Feebys owner. Yes, he is a rescue cat and I don’t know what his life was like before I adopted him. I asked for a lap cat, but I didn’t anticipate how much of a lap cat he is! The counselor at the Humane Society said that he was a very friendly cat. Since I adopted him right after his dental surgery, I knew he wouldn’t be feeling that great so I really just let him sleep on my lap during the day for about a week. maybe he just thinks that that’s how life is in this house. He also climbs up my chest and head bumps me on my cheek before he settles on my lap. So sweet! Anyway, this is all new to me and thank you for the links to the Cat Owners info.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he’s in love with you, lol. My 4-year old Olive will do that, she was an outdoor abandoned stray when I adopted her two years ago. She would sleep on my lap, chest, face. We would joke that she just wanted to live in my mouth. She’s somewhat more independent nowadays, but she still is extra cuddly.

Our boy Gohan, who was a feral kitten when my fiancé adopted him, has always been pretty aloof, and would only go in my fiancé’s lap and would never be relaxed there. I don’t know if it’s his older age (he’s about 10), or he has been watching Olive but he’s now so cuddly and will climb into any lap available and fall asleep purring.

So nothing too wrong with the extra lap cuddles :thumbsup:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted Clyde, a home-raised kitten, 5 years ago when I was retired and he never stopped wanting to be near me and on my lap ALL the time. I don't always allow it, but he never gets frustrated or put off by my refusals. At most he'll find a perch nearby and try again later. It was comical and kinda sad when he escaped for a few hours and I took 2 ticks off him when he came back. I wouldn't let him on me for a day thereafter to be safe, and he was so put out. Point of the story being, it doesn't need to have anything to do with anxiety. Maybe he was owned by a retired person, or maybe its something totally different; I don't think you will figure out anything beyond that you have a cat that really likes you and really likes the lap.

Anyway, everyone needs a little breathing room sometimes. Or at least I do! So here are my tips: get some sort of basket for your computer desk so he has somewhere to go when you need a little space. For your recliner, one of those scratching posts with a cup on top works well. I've never had a cap that didn't like to curl up in the cup IF it is close to where you are hanging out. When the cat isn't in it, it can double as a side table/drink holder.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just really love laps :lovecat2: You can offer comfy alternatives to your lap, such as a heated plushy cat bed.

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like he’s in love with you, lol. My 4-year old Olive will do that, she was an outdoor abandoned stray when I adopted her two years ago. She would sleep on my lap, chest, face. We would joke that she just wanted to live in my mouth. She’s somewhat more independent nowadays, but she still is extra cuddly.

Our boy Gohan, who was a feral kitten when my fiancé adopted him, has always been pretty aloof, and would only go in my fiancé’s lap and would never be relaxed there. I don’t know if it’s his older age (he’s about 10), or he has been watching Olive but he’s now so cuddly and will climb into any lap available and fall asleep purring.

So nothing too wrong with the extra lap cuddles :thumbsup:

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your experiences, KarenKat. It sounds like my Jack is very similar to your Olive.😻

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted Clyde, a home-raised kitten, 5 years ago when I was retired and he never stopped wanting to be near me and on my lap ALL the time. I don't always allow it, but he never gets frustrated or put off by my refusals. At most he'll find a perch nearby and try again later. It was comical and kinda sad when he escaped for a few hours and I took 2 ticks off him when he came back. I wouldn't let him on me for a day thereafter to be safe, and he was so put out. Point of the story being, it doesn't need to have anything to do with anxiety. Maybe he was owned by a retired person, or maybe its something totally different; I don't think you will figure out anything beyond that you have a cat that really likes you and really likes the lap.

Anyway, everyone needs a little breathing room sometimes. Or at least I do! So here are my tips: get some sort of basket for your computer desk so he has somewhere to go when you need a little space. For your recliner, one of those scratching posts with a cup on top works well. I've never had a cap that didn't like to curl up in the cup IF it is close to where you are hanging out. When the cat isn't in it, it can double as a side table/drink holder.

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, ARTNJ, for the suggestions. I did buy him a nice plushy cat bed, but when I tried to put him i it, he acted like I was trying to put him in a cat carrier. I’ve only had to put Jack in a cat carrier one time, which was an incredibly traumatic experience for both of us. Who knew a nine pound kitty could be so strong! Anyway I tried putting the cat bed in different areas, even close to a heat register. He would never go near it. I started referring to it as the kiss of death cat bed. After a month, I gave the cat bed away and it is now being used and loved by another cat. 🙄 when I am working at the dining room table, and I won’t let him up there, he eventually found the top of my sofa, which have big soft cushions, And he can easily see me, sleep, or look out the patio door. He’s also very vocal and definitely let’s me know when he thinks it’s time for me to sit down so he can be in my lap.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there was a thread on cat beds within the last few weeks. They are never more than 50/50, and it seems the cat has to get the idea on their own since they typically object to being placed in a strange thing. Just make something available and hope for the best. As I mentioned, if you really need a breather, putting a scratching post with a cup on top near your chair or desk has always worked for me. Something like this: Amazon.com : Catry, Cat Tree Condo with Paper Rope Covered Scratching Post Activity Center for Climbing Relaxing and Playing Natural Jute Fiber Pet Stand : Pet Supplies

Lectrice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the link to the cat tree condo—it looks good.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the link to the cat tree condo—it looks good.
It seems a little too good for the price, but the reviews aren't bad! I just wanted an example, in case I was being unclear about a scratching post "with a cup" on top. I find that you take the cat off your lap enough times, they look for a nearby place that is comfy, and those bowl type posts are usually pretty attractive. I'm sure I've been a bit lucky, and the cat bed effect could rear its head, but if the cat is pushy and you don't want to keep him away entirely, its worth a try.

eva adams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Because he loves you and wants attention, plus the lap is cuddly and warm, and it allows you to check out your cat on your lap. Contrary to what many people think, cats do like attention, and they love to be played with, and that kind of care will stop your kitty from doing other things in the house you may not like. I would suggest cherishing the moment while it’s here. Cats are known to switch up their routine, so he may look elsewhere for a warm, comfortable pillow on a bed that is not you!

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How lucky you are, minish never ever comes and sits on my lap. When I take her to my lap, a pair of bulging eyes ready to kick off!
You may try encouraging Jack to alternatives as artnj offered. I would try laying newly worn old sweater (still warm) next to me on the couch and put him there as I kept touching with one hand so most of what he gets from lapsitting is satisfied (smell, touch, proximity). Additional treats on this makeshift bed wouldn't hurt either