My Cat Luna Wont Poop With Miralax

LilyandLuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a 4 year old cat named Luna. About a couple weeks ago she started showing weird litter box behavior. She stopped pooping and I noticed right away as she has a poop schedule. Always goes after a meal and I feed both my cats, Lily and Luna, once in the morning and once in the evening. Sometimes I give a snack in between at the 6 hour mark. A couple weeks ago I heard her cry really loud and shoot out of the litter box like her butt was on fire. I tracked her down and lifted her tail to see that her butt was very inflamed and irritated. Then she started having constipated poops. She would only poop once every 5 days or so outside the litter box on my carpet and it was a LOT of poop. It was extremely goopy and hard at the same time.

I contacted her vet and told her what was happening. I brought in a poop sample from Luna just in case and was told to start giving her a daily probiotic and 1/8 tsp of Miralax with her morning and evening meals. I did that for a week and waited. Test results came back clear but she still only pooped once and it was outside the box and a huge mess of hard and soft poop. She still uses the litter box to go pee but that's it. I contacted the vet again and she said to up it to 1/4th tsp in the morning and evening. I'm on day number 2 and she still has not pooped since I started the 1/4th tsp routine. The vet said if she does not go for 4 or 5 days then to call back and schedule an appointment. I'm at a total loss as to what I could do next besides bringing her in but I don't even know what kind of tests they would run. Should I wait till next Wednesday or bring her in sooner?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is she still eating? Sometimes when they're constipated, it can cause stomach upset and lack of appetite. The best thing would be to get her to the vet. They can give her an x-ray and check her bowels to see how backed up she is. She might need an enema. Then, look at what you're feeding. Moving her to a wet only diet might help with the constipation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LilyandLuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She eats every meal as if shes starving, so, normal appetite. She is by far the pickiest cat I have ever had. She wont eat soft food at all and she turns her nose up to actual fresh meat like chicken and turkey. She eats Purina One Purposeful Nutrition and has been for several years now. I get concerned when she wolfs down all her food but then doesn't really go poop for several days. I can only imagine how uncomfortable she must be, because she becomes lethargic the day before poop on my carpet, then her mood goes back to happy go lucky.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Liquid paraffine is even stronger than the usual home remedies of coldpressed olive / rapeseed oil - both otherwise often used with constipation.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ask your vet if you can try something different, like maybe psyllium (Metamucil). I've used hairball pastes or treats for constipation before too. Which flavor of Purina One dry food is she eating? How much per day?

LilyandLuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would ask your vet if you can try something different, like maybe psyllium (Metamucil). I've used hairball pastes or treats for constipation before too. Which flavor of Purina One dry food is she eating? How much per day?
I'm not sure if I reply at the bottom or hit reply to the individual post? But I feed them both Tender Selects Blend with Real Chicken. So chicken flavor. I feed them both 1/4th scoop of food in the morning and 1/4th 12 hours later with a couple snacks here and there through out the day. Their vet said what I was feeding them and how often was the optimal amount for how much they weigh and if Luna got any heavier than she is now, she would be classified as an overweight or obese cat.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you dissolving the Miralax in water before giving it to your cat?

LilyandLuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you dissolving the Miralax in water before giving it to your cat?
I tried that at first but she wasn't having any of it. I just sprinkle the Miralax, along with the powdered probiotic, over her food and she eats it all with no problems. She is a messy eater and ends up licking the bottom of the bowl in the process, so she gets it all in her system.