My cat loves to pee on clothes and towels left on the floor! WHY?!?!

mmj27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, Ralph and Eunice. Ralph loves to pee on anything cloth left on the floor, especially towels, but he'll also go after piles of laundry, shirts, etc. I don't understand why, because he we have two litter boxes we change regularly and he also spends a fair amount of time outside. We had him neutered right at four months, and this also isn't "spraying" behavior- he actually squats down and pees. It's like he just enjoys it. He'll also occasionally poop in these places, but not as often. This has been extremely frustrating, because try as I might to keep laundry and towels picked up, I have two little kids, and needless to say, I'm not superwoman. Has anyone else had a cat that does this? It's so bizarre, I've never known any other cat to do this. We love Ralph, but we don't love cat pee on our clothes!

bella 2710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cant give you the answers to your question, but i do have a friend at work who has 2 cats a girl and a boy, she had exactly the same problem as you. Her boy not only wee's on her clothes and towels but he actually wee's in her shoes as well.

She said he never wee's on anything that belongs to her husband.

I know its not funny but i cant help but laugh when she tells me, she honestly thinks this boy cat of hers does it to annoy her.
I asked her if he did it around the rest of the house (carpets, sofas) she said no, so i asked if he used his litter tray. She said he uses it when he decides he isn't going to wee on her clothes.

I asked how often she cleans the litter tray, she said she scoops poo out everyday but only changes it once a week!

Anyway my Bella has 2 litter trays one in the downstairs bathroom & one in the upstairs bathroom, i get rid of everything everyday from the upstairs and about 3 times a day downstairs (before i go to work, when i get home then before bed). I cant stand the thought of her having wee or poo germs on her paws then walking it around the house. She only goes a number 2 once a day, like clockwork and will only use the upstairs bathroom one for that. She will only wee downstairs, problem is if she has been a wee in it the once she sits there and cry's and wont go in it again until ive put a new lot of litter in there.

So i told my friend maybe its because he dont like going on top of whats already in there or maybe he doesn't enjoy going in the catsan that she uses, so she started using a pine smelling non clumping natural litter instead and emptying it everyday.
She said he now uses it all of the time, on the odd occasion he will wee on something of hers, but she reckons thats just to annoy her!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd suggest that you get Ralph checked out by a vet. Peeing outside the box is often related to urinary tract issues.

Be sure to use an enzymatic cleaner to clean up after any 'accidents', and NEVER use bleach - to a cat it smells very similar to urine, and the last thing you want to do is confuse the issue!

Stress can also be a factor, as can territorial issues/insecurity. You might find that adding a third box helps matters. I'd always far rather scoop than clean up 'accidents'.[article="32366"][/article][article="32341"][/article][article="32493"][/article][article="30307"][/article][article="30316"][/article]