My cat lost 3 lbs

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Julius lost 3 pounds I’ve a period of time. He has been to the vet we’re are treating him for food sensitivities he scratches a lot too. She gave him prednisone and we are changing his food she wants to check
His weight in 30 days. How many calories does he need to a day to gain weight? He is 9 pounds. How do I help him gain weight? He’s not liking the food she gave him to eat 😢 Thanks!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Lots of unknowns. Over what period of time did he lose 3 pounds? How old is Julius? What tests did the vet run on him - full blood panel (CBC, Chemistry Profile, thyroid), urinalysis, fecal testing? Does he eat/drink/pee/poop normally? Any vomiting? What food sensitivities have been verified? What should he weigh? I gather the Pred is for the scratching? Does the vet think that ties to his weight loss?

Having asked all that, the general rule of thumb is a cat needs around 20-25 calories per pound to maintain weight. So, at 9 pounds to maintain that he would need around 225 calories per day. Obviously, a bit more than that if he is supposed to gain weight, e.g.; 10 pounds/250 calories, etc. An older cat might need less calories, due to lack of as much activity.

You can also keep an eye on his weight at home by merely using a digital scale - weigh yourself, and then the both of you together. Chart his weights to keep track, and try to weigh him about the same time of day each time.

Here is a TCS article about it (with other articles embedded in it) - but, would have to be altered in accordance with his proven food sensitivities.
How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Lots of unknowns. Over what period of time did he lose 3 pounds? How old is Julius? What tests did the vet run on him - full blood panel (CBC, Chemistry Profile, thyroid), urinalysis, fecal testing? Does he eat/drink/pee/poop normally? Any vomiting? What food sensitivities have been verified? What should he weigh? I gather the Pred is for the scratching? Does the vet think that ties to his weight loss?

Having asked all that, the general rule of thumb is a cat needs around 20-25 calories per pound to maintain weight. So, at 9 pounds to maintain that he would need around 225 calories per day. Obviously, a bit more than that if he is supposed to gain weight, e.g.; 10 pounds/250 calories, etc. An older cat might need less calories, due to lack of as much activity.

You can also keep an eye on his weight at home by merely using a digital scale - weigh yourself, and then the both of you together. Chart his weights to keep track, and try to weigh him about the same time of day each time.

Here is a TCS article about it (with other articles embedded in it) - but, would have to be altered in accordance with his proven food sensitivities.

He was never an overweight cat I rescued all of my cats. I don’t know his real age. We are guessing he is around 16 or so. I noticed it about a month ago. I started noticing he lost hair on his belly. Then he started scratching a lot. He did have some vomiting and some soft or some times diarrhea. I noticed he would go to the litter pan and after he had a bowel movement’s he would come running out of the room and scratch the carpet. I have noticed though he has not vomited in the last week. I did find some food vomit. But I can’t say it was him I didn’t see it I have 4 cats. She did run blood work on him. She said his blood looked good. We are still working with her on a diagnosis. She thinks food sensitivities/allergies, not being able to absorb nutrition, IBS, or Lymphoma. We are discussing her performing a biopsy. He does eat and drink until I changed his food...he doesn’t like the new. But he will eat treats all day if I would let him. Thanks for the weighing tip I will try that😊

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. Not yet.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was never an overweight cat I rescued all of my cats. I don’t know his real age. We are guessing he is around 16 or so. I noticed it about a month ago. I started noticing he lost hair on his belly. Then he started scratching a lot. He did have some vomiting and some soft or some times diarrhea. I noticed he would go to the litter pan and after he had a bowel movement’s he would come running out of the room and scratch the carpet. I have noticed though he has not vomited in the last week. I did find some food vomit. But I can’t say it was him I didn’t see it I have 4 cats. She did run blood work on him. She said his blood looked good. We are still working with her on a diagnosis. She thinks food sensitivities/allergies, not being able to absorb nutrition, IBS, or Lymphoma. We are discussing her performing a biopsy. He does eat and drink until I changed his food...he doesn’t like the new. But he will eat treats all day if I would let him. Thanks for the weighing tip I will try that😊
His symptoms sound a lot like those our previous cat had at about the same age. It sounds like your cat's bloodwork is better than hers was: she had mild kidney and thyroid disease along with what was mostly likely IBD that progressed to lymphoma. She also had a very bad arrythmia so was too frail to be biopsied.

Has your vet given you ideas on trying to figure out what's causing his symptoms? In our cat it was (most likely, we didn't really have enough time) grains and fish. Even in her last weeks, her symptoms eased up a bit.

Good luck!

Sherry333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! She did. we discussed a few things it could be. We are trying treatment for IBS or IBD he’s on pred and changed his food. He goes back to get a weight check, if no better she wants to do a biopsy.