My cat literally slashed my mother - Please Help :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see what you mean.. My thoughts exactly..

My mother on the other hand feels we got too many boys in the house. Grizzly and the 2 budgies who are also males. She needs another girl 

And I agreed, until I started thinking about it more thogoughly.. 

Of course, your boys got to know each other from a young age. They've had their time to figure out their positions...

What troubles me, is that the behaviorist told me that Grizzly is a cat that wouldn't tolerate another cat in the house.. That has kept me back a lot.. 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the idea of getting another cat. My pair are a male and a female. Even though the female is significantly smaller and is only seven months old she holds her own well in rough play.  She is also the dominant one by far. 

For Grizzly, I wouldn't suggest a kitten or at least not a young one. One that was nearing full grown at a year of age or so would likely be better. 

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Its nice to see that your mother and Grizzly are getting along Grizzlysapien. Seems it can happen. All this talk about cat pairings doesn't make me wanna get Omri a pal. I dont think its a good idea when financial situation changes if it does. Personal preference.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're concerned about Grizzly's reaction to another cat, you could try this: go to a shelter and pick out a possible match. Then make a scent cloth from that cat, seal it in a bag and take it home to present to Grizzly. His reaction to another cat's scent should give you some idea of whether he'd accept a playmate.

Fostering is a good idea too, but I'd still want to try the scent test first. Remember - even if the foster ultimately had to find a different forever home, you'd still be doing him/her a great service in the meantime - not to mention helping the shelter out and possibly freeing up a space so they can help another needy cat. However you look at it, it's a win :D

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're right columbine. It's so much more compasionate the way you say to do it. Otherwise if you bring a cat home the one doesn't get along with and have to bring the second one back its heartbreaking.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys, I've only purraised and didn't respond much, cause one of my budgies, Conan, is a bit sick.. I am sooooo anxious and can't think straight right now..

Just so you know, I read your advice and I am taking it under consideration.. So, keep 'em coming!! 

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, @Columbine  

For now, he's taking his antibiotic.. Tomorrow I'll start him on an anti-windpipemite med.. In a few words, he's contracted mites.. AGAIN.. and the mites have made their way in his respiratory tract 

With everything going on since the summer and then the hospital and then my dad, we kind of missed it and now all of the sudden he's having trouble breathing.. 
 And we were like "when did THIS happen??" 

So, now his doctor suggested we should get started on anti-biotics so to avoid the worst case scenario (if you know what I mean) and then treat him for the mites..

Not sure yet how he's doing.. But he enjoys the daily petting when I get him out of his cage to give him the med 
 He is not "socialized" at all with humans.. He's always "ready for a fight" - hence his name. But these days, I've been handling him a lot.. So, I guess he's starting to believe that sitting on my arm and letting me pet him, is not such a bad idea after all 

I am so praying nothing worse happens to him.. His mate died last year and I still can't cope with the loss.. I can't lose him too.. 

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dad has had several birds over the years but they never got sick. Guess he just knew what to do. News reports how cold its gotten in Greece but the weather channel says different. I think "domesticated" birds are more susceptible to illness because they're domesticated. Not sure if this is true but you seem to be facing a very scary situation. Hope all turns out alright. With Omri I have to help him cope with two very simple for a vet to fix problems which I still can't get a vet to treat because they demand money up front. There's no possible way I can do that. Inflexibility is par here and its anguish. Equal to the medical treatment im refused which causes more than anguish its dam near impossible to cope.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are called "domesticated" 

Conan's condition doesn't have to do with the weather, cause they haven't been outside since the temperatures dropped. I only get them out to catch some sun in the morning and then back inside. They are pretty fragile. Conan has had mite problems since I got him from the petshop with Bella. She never demonstrated any problems, but Conan was always susceptible to contracting mites from sparrows that used to "visit" them in our balcony 
.. For some reason, it happened again but we didn't notice it in time. Stevie, on the other hand, (the other male) has not demonstrated anything.. I guess Conan is more sensitive and deals with a weaker immune system 

siamiam2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't know birds could get mites. Omri has a problem wit them chronically but if I spray that useless Hartz stuff on the qtip and clean out his ears there is little problem. That 7 bucks ended up useful for something.[emoji]128518[/emoji]

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Best wishes to Conan! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ We used to have Budgies. They really are sweet. I do so hope he gets better soon!

donna cardinale

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know how disturbing an aggressive cat can be.  I have one.  I recently went to Jackson Galaxy's website, and he had some good advice.  (He's the one from "My Cat From Hell" TV series on Animal Planet.)  I just ordered a holistic flower essence spray from his organization that was designed by a vet.  He has a video about it.  He also said to use play therapy to get a lot of the negative energy worked out.  It can also be caused by physical pain, which requires a trip to the vet for a check up.  That's going to be my next step.

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best wishes to Conan! [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ We used to have Budgies. They really are sweet. I do so hope he gets better soon!
Mega
for Conan's quick recovery.
Thank you so much, both of you 
 Today I gave him his medicine for the 1st time (up until now, I've been giving him an antibiotic, but the medicine will wipe out the mites) and next time I give it to him, will be in 9-10 days. It's a strong one and we need to be careful with such a small little birdy 
 Hope it goes well 

I know how disturbing an aggressive cat can be.  I have one.  I recently went to Jackson Galaxy's website, and he had some good advice.  (He's the one from "My Cat From Hell" TV series on Animal Planet.)  I just ordered a holistic flower essence spray from his organization that was designed by a vet.  He has a video about it.  He also said to use play therapy to get a lot of the negative energy worked out.  It can also be caused by physical pain, which requires a trip to the vet for a check up.  That's going to be my next step.
Hi @Donna Cardinale  and welcome! 

So far, Grizzly's aggression has subsided. I used a multitude of methods to succeed it. Aside from neutering him, I took advice from a behaviorist, followed advice from people who stood by me in this site and used some tricks from Jackson Galaxy as well. I always played with Grizzly from the start. But it does have to do with the personality a cat has and how to form a plan of action, according to it. For example, anti-stress pills didn't work on Grizzly, but they work on other cats. It's all a "trial and error" thing.

I've made my peace with the fact that Grizzly is on the "vibrant side".. He may never be a 100% calm and "mellow" cat. He is calm and mellow most of the time, BUT if he sets his mind on playing rough, he will pursue it. He doesn't feel "fear". He is "bold" when he wants to do something and insists. It's my job to make him "snap out of it" when it happens. I haven't tried essence sprays or diffusers yet. I want to work on him in a "behavioral reform" way, for now. 

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each and every cat IS different - regardless of their breed, age, or lineage. 

I think my Keeker and Grizzly have the same basic type personality. There is a right way, a wrong way... and HIS way! LOL While Keeker is calm and generally sweet 'most of the time', he gets these little spurts of, "Don't forget who's boss around here".  I can get up from my chair and walk past him, reach down and pet him and he is just a sweetheart. Then, when I come back to the room and walk past him, he will jump 3 feet straight up in the air, wrap all 4 legs and claws around my arm and nip me... then he bolts away. He'll look back over his shoulder at me and snicker! 

When he does that, I just say, "Play nice" and ignore him. I know it is just his way of asking me to play, but he is learning to ask in a nicer way - without jumping with claws and teeth out.  So, after a bit, when he comes over and rubs against me, meows and reaches up and puts his paw on my knee he will get a treat and some interactive play time.

He is just naturally more aggressive, but not in a mean way. He doesn't pounce on me to cause harm or kill me.

I think you have done (and are doing) a great job with Grizzly! And, it is a lot of trial and error and repetition until it sinks in. We just have to discover their personalities and learn their language and love their furry little butts with all we have!

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True 

I used to get so annoyed and angry before.. Grizzly is what you said about Keeker. Aggressive but not mean. It's his way to "invite" me to play. He just doesn't understand that it might be painful for me.

At first he invites me with a double tap on my leg or arm.. If I don't respond, he insists.. Again, if I don't respond he walks away, but comes back more determined than ever! His way of being determined is to bite me on my ankle, or elbow.. I try to ingnore him.. At first I don't react at all. Sometimes it does to trick. If it doesn't and he insists, I say "No, love.. Stop this.." in a calm way. Sometimes, THIS does the trick.. IF it doesn't, I then understand that I am dealing with one of his "glorious moments" when he won't give up.. So, if he insists.. I'm like "you little poo!!!" in an angry tone, cause.. hey, he's biting me, maaan! 

Once I say "you little poo!!!" he's like 
and we're done. There are times that I carry him to another room and close the door. But these times are getting more and more rare, now.. 

When we play and he plays like a normal earthly being and not like Conan the Barbarian, I give him treats

(I replaced the real word with "poo", for obvious reasons 
)

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

True 

I used to get so annoyed and angry before.. Grizzly is what you said about Keeker. Aggressive but not mean. It's his way to "invite" me to play. He just doesn't understand that it might be painful for me.

At first he invites me with a double tap on my leg or arm.. If I don't respond, he insists.. Again, if I don't respond he walks away, but comes back more determined than ever! His way of being determined is to bite me on my ankle, or elbow.. I try to ingnore him.. At first I don't react at all. Sometimes it does to trick. If it doesn't and he insists, I say "No, love.. Stop this.." in a calm way. Sometimes, THIS does the trick.. IF it doesn't, I then understand that I am dealing with one of his "glorious moments" when he won't give up.. So, if he insists.. I'm like "you little poo!!!" in an angry tone, cause.. hey, he's biting me, maaan! 

Once I say "you little poo!!!" he's like 
and we're done. There are times that I carry him to another room and close the door. But these times are getting more and more rare, now.. 

When we play and he plays like a normal earthly being and not like Conan the Barbarian, I give him treats

(I replaced the real word with "poo", for obvious reasons 
)
LOL, we even have the same nic-name for them! 

But, ya know... when I think about it, I went outside today, saw people, went for a drive, saw new scenery, went shopping with my daughter - and the cats stayed home, pacing from room to room, window sill to window sill, napping, snacking, and pooping in a sand box!  When you look at like that, a little burst of aggression ain't nothin'! Hell, I'd lash out and say, "Play with me, dammit" too! 

Sometimes we get so wrapped up in us and our lives that we sometimes forget about theirs and what it must be like for them. We all have our moments - so, I have learned to be a bit more understanding, tolerant, and accepting of some of the behavior. They let me be human - I let them be cats!

The little Poos!

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I've tried to "walk in his paws", sometimes.. and I get what you're saying.. We have the intelligence - if you will - to put ourselves in their position and see things through their eyes.. They can't do that. So, it is up to us to "accept" and "understand" some of these behaviours, cause they just need to "let it out" once in a while.. ("once in while" meaning 2wice a day, in my case 
)

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will try this on Grizzly, or I'll die trying.. The other cat in the end is like "dude, what's wrong with you?"  I can't stop laughing - serious damage