My cat likes eating her wet food with her paws

Jaginthebox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there...I have a female cat that has a terrible messy feeding habit. She loves to pick away at her wet food with her paws. Sometimes she will eat normally, but most times she uses her paws. The food gets everywhere!!!! I have tried various bowls, plates etc...thinking it was because she didn't like her whiskers touching the sides of bowl. Just wondering if this is behavioral or is there maybe a method to her madness?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat did that few time

kinda randomly

try to elevate the bowl ?

Kiyangoin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe chop the food up a bit for her? I guess that only applies if it’s pate. I had a cat that would take individual pieces of dry food and put them in her water bowl to soak before fishing them out and eating them. Might just be an unfortunate personality quirk.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rb kitty Cindy did that. I thought i was cute. She would also pull the dry food out of the bowl and eat it from the floor.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe a cafeteria type tray underneath Her food dishes might keep thing contained. I doubt that you will be able to change her preferred eating method but chopping in into small pieces might help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried various bowls, plates etc...thinking it was because she didn't like her whiskers touching the sides of bowl.
That's what I was thinking, too. I definitely agree with giving her a bowl that doesn't tweak her whiskers.

Just remember that, if she scoops her food with her paws in order to prevent her whiskers getting tweaked she might repeat the behavior through force of habit. If she has learned to do it a certain way, it might take time for her to unlearn the behavior.

I vote for giving her a new bowl that doesn't tweak her whiskers then giving her plenty of time to adjust before declaring success or failure.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that did that! Oh how I miss Gandalf! 😻 He would impale his food on his claws (with just one paw) and eat his food off of his claws. We gave up and just spread lots of newspaper around under him when he ate.

You might try feeding her off of saucers and switching to pate only. 🤣