My cat licks chunk food rather than bites

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently, my cat hasn't been eating the wet (tiki cat) cat food i give her in the evening. Today, I watched her eat it. It looks like she licks her food rather than takes bites. Therefore, it is difficult for her to eat lots of chuck food by licking it.

She eats tiki cat moose which is like pate and ahola chicken with pumpkin, which is somewhat minced. She doesn't eat all the latter though as much as the moose one. However, now i know why. She doesn't know that she is supposed to take bites rather than lick her food.

So, i guess I cannot really teach her to bite food unless I had another cat to teach her. So, i will have to get pate food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ap4lmtree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
most of the varieties of tiki cat food are chunks except the mousse

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don’t actually chew their food. Their teeth and jaw structure is such that they are able to tear into raw meat, but they don’t chew. So what you observe when you watch some cats appear to “chew” food is really them tearing or gnawing, which is how they tear apart meat and bones. It’s normal for cats to lick wet food. It’s not big enough for them to gnaw on.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is her teeth? I have one boy that mainly swallows chunks because he does have some gingivitis in his very back tooth. So he tends to swallow, which is annoying as he gets the chunks to help with the teeth lol.