My Cat Kitten was blinded because of a bad veternarian overdosing her with Baytril

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm glad to see the extra day this year will be put to good use.  
  It should be interesting to see if you suddenly get any offers to settle.  
Yesterday was really bad. And then I went and read her rely and was mad at myself for letting that kind of stuff upset me. I put the evidence package together this morning. I'll take everything but I don't want to overwhelm the judge with anything but the facts.  The offer would only be acceptable if she admits wrong doing.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a copy of her false accusation, she would be guilty of libel as well.  

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

If you have a copy of her false accusation, she would be guilty of libel as well.  
That was in her reply to my summons. Written I assume by her lawyer. And it's also her right to have her own opinion. Just like I have mine.  In 20 days this can be pretty much behind us. We're quiet people. I haven't even sued the jerk who parked on top of my parked car in an empty parking lot for the deductible.  For 250 dollars that uninsured driver provided me with a whole new front end for my car. Not that my car is dinged up. I just had to make some sunshine out of it.

We're tired. We've been dealing with constant stress since the end of August.  We went for a drive today. First time in ages. Out to eat. long drive. stopped at a highway souvenir shop and sent texts of all the painted ponies to my twin sister from other parents. It's 60 something out. It didn't feel like I had to watch for polar bears while filling the bird feeders. Mercy and Mook are in the window sorting out which birds they want to dismember. I had forgotten what a good day felt like.

So long way around. Unless she starts spewing on an open facebook page obvious lies and slander I'm not interested in her. I want her OUT of my life.

'

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
So, now all there is to do is wait. Or do more research.

Interesting that link you came up with showing that type of antibiotic can cause liver damage. I wonder if this vet knows you have done your homework.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
So, now all there is to do is wait. Or do more research.

Interesting that link you came up with showing that type of antibiotic can cause liver damage. I wonder if this vet knows you have done your homework.
That was a crap my pants ah ha moment. I'm going to forward that to the SVB veterinarian handling the investigation there. Not because I don't think he knows. But because I want him to know that I know.

There isn't much more research I can do unless I have access to a veterinary library. A lot of the sites I would love to plunder for knowledge I can't access.

You know my husband was on cipro for a bad case of bronchitis. He ripped some tendon in his knee. Just moved and it tore. I wonder if there was a connection there. I sure wouldn't put that stuff in my body unless it was a last resort.

BTW it wasn't the only link. I just look for the ones that come from credible sources or seem to.

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That was a crap my pants ah ha moment. I'm going to forward that to the SVB veterinarian handling the investigation there. Not because I don't think he knows. But because I want him to know that I know.

There isn't much more research I can do unless I have access to a veterinary library. A lot of the sites I would love to plunder for knowledge I can't access.

You know my husband was on cipro for a bad case of bronchitis. He ripped some tendon in his knee. Just moved and it tore. I wonder if there was a connection there. I sure wouldn't put that stuff in my body unless it was a last resort.
Yes that is definitely one of the risks of taking Cipro.  

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/ciprofloxacin-oral-route/precautions/drg-20072288

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

BTW it wasn't the only link. I just look for the ones that come from credible sources or seem to.
I have no idea if this will work out for you but you might be able to gain access to some of those sites through the USDA's National Agricultural Library.  It's a US government funded library and probably has access to all of the veterinarian data bases.  I doubt you'd be able to read the full papers, but you might be able to read the abstracts.    https://www.nal.usda.gov/

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Through eyes not steaming with tears of hurt and anger I reread the response from the vet and her lawyer today. I hate legal documents. I understand the need to make sure the intent on a contract of a reply like we received. Taking the time to eat one at a time with handy online legal dictionary there is really no defense offered. I don't care if she shows up with a team of lawyers. I do hope she brings those employees that were there that day. I want their names. If any have a state license I'm going to file a complaint with the SVB against them.

That includes the woman at the desk who sold me the two extra pills and commented that was an awful high dose. And then let me walk out of the office.

I like the idea of leap year day for the court date.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
That's very good that VCA filed an adverse event report with Bayer.  Given that report, and then the discovery that the actual medication was a generic passed off as a Bayer product, I would think Bayer might have an interest in this case.  I know you've notified them - it will be interesting to see if they do anything.  

Through eyes not steaming with tears of hurt and anger I reread the response from the vet and her lawyer today. I hate legal documents. I understand the need to make sure the intent on a contract of a reply like we received. Taking the time to eat one at a time with handy online legal dictionary there is really no defense offered. I don't care if she shows up with a team of lawyers. I do hope she brings those employees that were there that day. I want their names. If any have a state license I'm going to file a complaint with the SVB against them.

That includes the woman at the desk who sold me the two extra pills and commented that was an awful high dose. And then let me walk out of the office.

I like the idea of leap year day for the court date.
I'm with you on hating legal documents.  It's really not necessary to go for the throat in every case.  When my ex and I got divorced, you'd think we were both complete monsters, according to our lawyers.  It really took some time to get past the horrible things they wrote and become friends again.

It sounds like what you're saying is that the vet and her lawyers have decided  to go on the offense since they have no defense.  That will probably be quite obvious to the judge.  In your paperwork, did you add that boilerplate asking the court to grant you whatever additional relief they feel you deserve?  

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

That's very good that VCA filed an adverse event report with Bayer.  Given that report, and then the discovery that the actual medication was a generic passed off as a Bayer product, I would think Bayer might have an interest in this case.  I know you've notified them - it will be interesting to see if they do anything.  

I'm with you on hating legal documents.  It's really not necessary to go for the throat in every case.  When my ex and I got divorced, you'd think we were both complete monsters, according to our lawyers.  It really took some time to get past the horrible things they wrote and become friends again.

It sounds like what you're saying is that the vet and her lawyers have decided  to go on the offense since they have no defense.  That will probably be quite obvious to the judge.  In your paperwork, did you add that boilerplate asking the court to grant you whatever additional relief they feel you deserve?  
Offensive  instead of defensive. Yes I think that is an accurate description. It was like everything that might be used as a defense was tossed in the hat. They are free to have Kittens medical records. We have nothing to hide. Oddly I have yet to get Kittens chart notes from her.  I also wonder if she's mixing Kittens death into the defense. We have been very careful to keep to the vision issue. The claim this has already been heard is absurd. The SVB itself is not a legal entity.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Well, that's suspicious.  Make sure your attorney, if you retain one, knows this.  
I find it amusing. Because she has either made one up or the original gives her away. I find that a real crack up myself. Aside from her eyes Kitten was deemed not in need of any further treatment for the URI 3 days after seeing this vet. So a declaration that she was at deaths door isn't going to fly very far. There were no take home instructions. At Kitten's wellness check aside from going on about the evils of dry food she did not make mention to us of any pressing medical issues. She asked about her missing back teeth and we informed her they were removed via a dental. The bills and take home I can produce. In fact during the URI exam she didn't even feel the need to x ray her. Nor did she tell us to take her to an ER. Which we proved we would do under any circumstance 3 days later if needed. Unfortunately for her we take care of our cats. I just hope there isn't any nonsense in the next 20 days. I see it as a hiatus.

I can hope for an offer to settle. But I'm not counting on it.

morganalefae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find it odd she has not given you any of your cats records from her office. I would tell a lawyer this as this sounds like she may try to alter records which is illegal. for her or her lawyer to claim the case has been heard is totally stupid specially if one is in a real court of law and the other is with a group not connected with a court of law which if it comes up in court I would tell the judge that this is the only case for her in a court of law in reguards to this issue the other so called case that has been heard and "judged on" is with the SVB who is not in any way connected with the courts.

Your lawyer maybe able to send a letter asking for kittens records before moving to asking a court to make her give you her records which if that is the case will look bad for her specially if you requested kittens records yourself and then had to turn to a lawyer who then had to turn to the courts. I would also have the lawyer look into who is working in this vet office to see if they are registered with the right papers if you will to even be working in their stated job i.e vet tec, lab tec etc. This vet sounds like she has no clue wth she is doing i.e playing vet like a little kid would. I curious to know if she has had other cases agaist her for this sort of thing.. I would check because if she has that looks even better for you as it shows she is a idiot playing vet.

I would see if she could be brought up on charges of animal cruelty tho for her blantent disregaurd for the recomended dose for your cat and having you give your cat that dose with her knowing full well what could happen for you doing so..I think this vet should have her vet papers taken off her and banned from being a vet.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I find it odd she has not given you any of your cats records from her office. I would tell a lawyer this as this sounds like she may try to alter records which is illegal. for her or her lawyer to claim the case has been heard is totally stupid specially if one is in a real court of law and the other is with a group not connected with a court of law which if it comes up in court I would tell the judge that this is the only case for her in a court of law in reguards to this issue the other so called case that has been heard and "judged on" is with the SVB who is not in any way connected with the courts.

Your lawyer maybe able to send a letter asking for kittens records before moving to asking a court to make her give you her records which if that is the case will look bad for her specially if you requested kittens records yourself and then had to turn to a lawyer who then had to turn to the courts. I would also have the lawyer look into who is working in this vet office to see if they are registered with the right papers if you will to even be working in their stated job i.e vet tec, lab tec etc. This vet sounds like she has no clue wth she is doing i.e playing vet like a little kid would. I curious to know if she has had other cases agaist her for this sort of thing.. I would check because if she has that looks even better for you as it shows she is a idiot playing vet.

I would see if she could be brought up on charges of animal cruelty tho for her blantent disregaurd for the recomended dose for your cat and having you give your cat that dose with her knowing full well what could happen for you doing so..I think this vet should have her vet papers taken off her and banned from being a vet.
If escaped me the other day but nowhere in her response does she deny that she prescribed and overdose. Likely to claim Kitten would have had a reaction even if she hadn't made the error. Lame at best. Also consider the lawyer she hired out here is used to DUI and no insurance claims. Animal cruelty is usually pretty clear cut. Private owners with dead starving dogs and livestock. Or course cats be damned. She meets the criteria for malpractice. We had a VCPR. She agreed to treat the patient. We agreed to follow her treatment plan. Her mistake in calculating the correct dose of a drug known for almost 15 years to have the potential to cause retinal toxicity even at or below the recommended level makes her even more responsible to use the drug with caution and be even more cautious in calculating the dosage. She is also remiss is not sharing the possible side effects of this drug.  She did no bacterial culture that would indicate a more common and safer antibiotic wouldn't work. It was like using an elephant gun on a mouse.  You might kill the mouse but you would have significant collateral damage as a result of it. If your treatment destroys a cats vision and most likely liver that would be overkill don't ya think.

Looking for a way to get some animal cruelty charges pressed is very much on the table now.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about obstruction of justice (and falsifying records) in not complying with your request for records? At the very least, not providing records in a timely manner means she has something to hide.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
How about obstruction of justice (and falsifying records) in not complying with your request for records? At the very least, not providing records in a timely manner means she has something to hide.
That stuff is before the SVB. Failure to maintain records is a serious offense.  Small claims is a money /damages court. I'm asking for a refund from that visit since she provided care that ended in injury and has refused to hand over the chart notes. She delivered a flawed service. She has failed to fulfill an oral contract.  And since her negligence in handing out medication caused a medical emergency she should pay the entire bill for those services. Kitten was NEVER treated for the URI at the ER. She was treated for eye ulcers that Madam Vet failed to address which means for another week Kitten suffered. While dealing with the loss of vision caused by Madame Vet. In fact remember during the great eye ointment escapades I called Madam Vets office to refill the ointment because most of it was on my hand, shirt, cats head , counter and little getting into her eyes. I went to her office where I had a conversation with the receptionist who asked how she was doing and I was very honest. She was adapting and had some vision. I have never lied to them. We can't sue for Kittens condition. I'd like to point out that even if she had regained 100% of her eyesight we were treating the symptoms of the overdose and follow up.

During that trip where I had to puke on the way home for stepping in that office and the person at the desk said that the only reason they could refill it was,,,drum roll...because the VCA had sent them Kittens records from the ER visit AND the first ophthalmologist visit who is the person that gave us medication for Kitten's eyes.  At no time did Madam Vet make an appearance.

There was no screaming , yelling or finger pointing there I just wanted the medicine for Kitten. This was after the local human pharmacies could not fill it. It was that or another round trip into the city.

I don't know what she spun to her lawyer. But I certainly have the receipt and credit card charge from that transaction.

Kitten was never easy to mess with. She would start a war over getting frontlined a few times a year. Pilling her was worse. The eyedrops we managed. The eye ointment another war. That is why in the end we choose to have a feeding tube put in. I knew trying to syringe feed her would never fly.

This is the cat that would get off my lap after having her nails clipped and examine the tips on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.