My cat keeps reaching up corners, why!??

newborn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every night this week my cat walks into my room, finds a corner wall, and streches out her arms as if to try and reach the ceiling whilst balancing on the wall itself. At the same time she meows rather loudly, which to me looks like she is trying to get something but there cant possibly be anything to go after. Does anyone have the same experience with this thing and is there anyone who can explain what she wants?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by newborn

Every night this week my cat walks into my room, finds a corner wall, and streches out her arms as if to try and reach the ceiling whilst balancing on the wall itself. At the same time she meows rather loudly, which to me looks like she is trying to get something but there cant possibly be anything to go after. Does anyone have the same experience with this thing and is there anyone who can explain what she wants?
I couldn't tell you why they do it, but Enzo has this same infatuation for touching the ceiling
He's gone through every room in the house to find a good spot to touch the ceiling.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's going after a bug, is my guess. She might have just seen one one day and is still looking for it.

george's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
George's new thing is to go to the top of the refrigerator and reach up to the ceiling. Have no idea what he's doing/looking for but he does it a few times a week. Hope he finds what he's looking for!

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you happen to have a tall scratching post for your cat, by any chance?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be she's just stretching but if she's staring at something...well...I've had my cats point out many cobwebs in the corners of rooms that I didn't even see.
. A few weeks ago, my cats were going crazy in one corner. I kept checking...no flies, no spiders, nothing I could see. I was starting to think the house was haunted but I came home from work early one day and the sun just happened to shine in the room right and there was a long cobweb strand just waving in the breeze. THAT was what they were after. I hate cob webs!

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Melody has done that for years, I just thought that it was a weird quirk of hers. Turbo likes to get in bed with us at night and scream at the ceiling fan over our bed for hours, kinda weird. I think the stretching thing is a way of marking territory and as far as the screaming goes, I think that it is just weird, and have no explanation for that one!

gabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting. My kitty Chloe Blue does the same thing in my hallway. she will literally pace up and down the wall and meow and stretch on it as if something is INSIDE the wall. It is a very small hallway-lengthwise only 8ft. She does this usually at night time. She's around 9 1/2 years old. She started doing this about 2 years ago. Can't figure it out. But what ever it is...it really bugs her!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No cobwebs or insects, but Sho has a favorite corner - right behind the front door that he loves to stretch up on as far as he can. It's just stretching, sometimes the simplest answer is the answer.

teodorac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was doing the same - the reason was Lymphoma. We were lucky to diagnose it on time, it spreads extremely fast, he is on chemo-therapy now and getting significantly better. Do not waste time, do the abdomen and thorax SONOGRAPHY ! at once ! chances are good, but time is a big enemy !!

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty does that to door posts and walls, where they stick out/divide the room. She'll stand on her hind legs and kind of hug the doorway while looking up. Cats just do strange things sometimes.

kittyandco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In a galaxy, far far away...called Illinois.
I agree. I think this is a concept similar to them ALWAYS sticking their paws through the gaps in laundry baskets. Our Muffin is always randomly jumping up on walls and corners. I always wonder what they're thinking when they do this. I wish someone could make a translator... ;D

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat was doing the same - the reason was Lymphoma. We were lucky to diagnose it on time, it spreads extremely fast, he is on chemo-therapy now and getting significantly better. Do not waste time, do the abdomen and thorax SONOGRAPHY ! at once ! chances are good, but time is a big enemy !!
This has no pertinence to the thread topic.  Please read all posts in the thread before posting, especially to a thread that has been dormant for 5 years.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. I think this is a concept similar to them ALWAYS sticking their paws through the gaps in laundry baskets. Our Muffin is always randomly jumping up on walls and corners. I always wonder what they're thinking when they do this. I wish someone could make a translator... ;D
I can translate.  "I wonder what happens when I do this?" "I wonder what is in here?"