My Cat Keeps Pooping Outside The Litterbox, Ruining My Furniture, And Bites Me.

Oxidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so my cat Babe has a potty issue and a problem with ruining my furniture. Babe is a adult female tuxedo. Her "potty issue" has been going on for 3 months. I woke up one day to find her pooping on the tile in my bathroom. I immediately cleaned it up. As this is odd behavior, I checked her litter box, it was clean, and it's pretty big for a cat her size (10.6 lbs) So then I bought new cat litter (tidy cats) and she continued to poop not only in the bathroom, but in the hallway. I placed her other two litterboxes where she did her business, and she never used them. I decided maybe it was the food. So of course, I changed her food to Friskies dry and wet food. Food didn't seem to be the problem, so my last option was the vet. I took her to get checked by the veterinarian, and they decided to do bloodwork on her when I told them about her behavioral issues. They didn't say anything other than "She's healthy." Everything came back fine oddly enough. I've lived with her since she was 3 months old, (she is now 5 years old) and she has never had this problem. She is spayed, has all her vaccinations up-to-date, (extremely hyper might I add) + gets all the attention I could possibly give her. I usually play with her for 3 hours using her favorite toys. It's so tiring but I love her so much.. But I just can't understand why she is pooping out of the litterbox all of the sudden. As for her scratching my furniture, she has been doing this ever since I first got her. She never uses her scratching posts, I've tried multiple times to get her interested in the scratching posts; but she's just so stubborn. She currently has 4 different scratching posts. Her favorite pieces of furniture to ruin are my two leather couches. I had to tape the parts where she scratched the leather off them, because she was creating holes. She also bites me out of nowhere. Usually when I go to feed her, or clean her litterboxes, she bites my ankles. I've used the "No" command, and barely used the spray bottle, but she doesn't budge. What can I do to prevent these things?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Are you in an apartment? It could be that there's something she can detect that's disturbing her. There is a litter called Cat Attract, it might help.

Try a calming product, try music, try calming sprays even on your own clothing, Can you train her to walk outside in a harness to wear off some of that energy?
Try self-entertaining toys like the ripple rug, or a laser light
Try scratchers that lie flat on the floor
Hiss at her, strong and loud when she's about to bite.

:vibes::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oxidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

Are you in an apartment? It could be that there's something she can detect that's disturbing her. There is a litter called Cat Attract, it might help.

Try a calming product, try music, try calming sprays even on your own clothing, Can you train her to walk outside in a harness to wear off some of that energy?
Try self-entertaining toys like the ripple rug, or a laser light
Try scratchers that lie flat on the floor
Hiss at her, strong and loud when she's about to bite.

:vibes::crossfingers:
I am living in a duplex, but the only duplex in the neighborhood. My neighbors are quiet, actually the neighborhood is extremely quiet; - nothing really happens here. I do have 2 scratchers that are flat, 1 post, and one that’s a bit wavy. Thank you for this information, it really helped! Do you recommend any sprays or certain scents I can use?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe there's something going on outside that's new...

In any case, just as a side note, some people have good luck with feliway but it is inconsistent in results, and the diffusers are expensive. My boy is a little better with Comfort Zone - if you can find it on sale.

However, there are a number of other brands;
There are more cat music things to try but some would be to try low volume classical harp music, and there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com and also George Handel compositions are known to help a cat to relax.

Also, here are some of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Bachs Rescue Remedy, Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has products as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the calming products work. Could she be constipated? If it hurts her to go, she might go out of the box..... and worse get in the habit of going out of the box. Be sure to use an enzyme cleaner where she goes/has gone. I don't think cat attract litter could hurt. My gut is telling me that it is a health thing.

:goodluck:

The ankle biting is play. You need to teach her it hurts by hissing at her (?and clapping your hands or dropping a key chain that makes a good amount of sound ?) It takes time but she can be trained to not do that.

The extra energy? A bird feeder in a tree and bird watching window can work wonders! Also making her work for her food using puzzle toys. Plus maybe getting her to go through her very own obstacle course you move around & rotate. I would harness train her if you can. 1 hour outside = 8 hours of play and attention in calming hyper cats down in my experience. Let her 'hunt' the birds by the feeder. 'hunting' was the only thing that calmed my hyper punk down. I learned you need to wear out their minds, not just their body.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully some of the calming products that Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned will help.

But, when a cat's behavior changes "out of the blue" it is usually a health or environmental issue. Since she is pooping outside the litter box, it will make it easy for you to check the consistency, color, appearance of it to see if you can detect something abnormal, as danteshuman danteshuman has suggested. And, you can also collect some of it off the tile (that's been recently cleaned) and take it to the vet for fecal testing - just to rule out any issues.

The only other thing I can think of is any type of change in her environment or an incident that occurred around the time she started going outside the litter box. Changes in flooring, furnishings, smells (candles, etc.) - or other things of that nature which happened near the box that she was using religiously before. Not using the other boxes at this point is probably because after 3 months she is used to going on the floor.

And, you might want to try some cat repellent sprays to use on the leather couch sides.
How to Make Homemade Cat Repellent

Oxidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully some of the calming products that Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned will help.

But, when a cat's behavior changes "out of the blue" it is usually a health or environmental issue. Since she is pooping outside the litter box, it will make it easy for you to check the consistency, color, appearance of it to see if you can detect something abnormal, as danteshuman danteshuman has suggested. And, you can also collect some of it off the tile (that's been recently cleaned) and take it to the vet for fecal testing - just to rule out any issues.

The only other thing I can think of is any type of change in her environment or an incident that occurred around the time she started going outside the litter box. Changes in flooring, furnishings, smells (candles, etc.) - or other things of that nature which happened near the box that she was using religiously before. Not using the other boxes at this point is probably because after 3 months she is used to going on the floor.

And, you might want to try some cat repellent sprays to use on the leather couch sides.
How to Make Homemade Cat Repellent
Well I did get a new coffee table recently; about 6-7 months ago. Maybe it could be this! And I scheduled another appointment for her on Wednesday. I will collect a sample for fecal testing- hopefully she's doing alright. Her feces looks a bit lighter than the norm. I do have some sprays from petco that I bought yesterday, which seem to work a bit. They're both organic citrus sprays- And she hasn't been scratching my couches ever since yesterday- which is a good sign that maybe they're working! Thank you for the advice!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It probably isn't the coffee table since it was brought in 3 or so months before the behavior started. But, just in case - is there a furniture spray/cleaner you use on other pieces of furniture that you could 'generously' apply to this new table? At least that way, it would smell like all the other similar type furniture pieces??

Good deal on the citrus sprays!! Now just use those on your ankles - jk!!

Oh, yeah, and I forgot, there are also cat attractant sprays that maybe you could use on the scratching posts??

Let us know how the vet visit goes, as well as everything else in general!!

Oxidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe there's something going on outside that's new...

In any case, just as a side note, some people have good luck with feliway but it is inconsistent in results, and the diffusers are expensive. My boy is a little better with Comfort Zone - if you can find it on sale.

However, there are a number of other brands;
There are more cat music things to try but some would be to try low volume classical harp music, and there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com and also George Handel compositions are known to help a cat to relax.

Also, here are some of a fast-growing section of pet products;
Bachs Rescue Remedy, Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has products as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat
I will take a look at the CBD oil, I've heard it does wonders for people and animals alike! Since I made an appointment for her to get seen tomorrow, I'll ask about about the oil. Though it's a bit pricy to buy diffusers, I'll also look into these as seems to be a good investment in the long run! I'm assuming a good place to put a diffuser is in the hallway? And also, I tried the music yesterday, during her cooldown time. I did notice she calmed down a bit, but she also seemed confused- I will continue to use these methods and update you! Thank you so much!

Oxidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It probably isn't the coffee table since it was brought in 3 or so months before the behavior started. But, just in case - is there a furniture spray/cleaner you use on other pieces of furniture that you could 'generously' apply to this new table? At least that way, it would smell like all the other similar type furniture pieces??

Good deal on the citrus sprays!! Now just use those on your ankles - jk!!

Oh, yeah, and I forgot, there are also cat attractant sprays that maybe you could use on the scratching posts??

Let us know how the vet visit goes, as well as everything else in general!!
I usually use fabric refresher -(febreze ocean scented fabric refresher) on the carpets and couches- and I usually clean my tables with organic all purpose cleaner. I can try using fabric refresher on my tables?
-Haha, the citrus sprays were on sale too! Hopefully she stops biting my ankles with a bit more discipline! I will look into the sprays, I'm going for another round of searching Petco later today. I will definitely update you guys tomorrow!

Oxidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope the calming products work. Could she be constipated? If it hurts her to go, she might go out of the box..... and worse get in the habit of going out of the box. Be sure to use an enzyme cleaner where she goes/has gone. I don't think cat attract litter could hurt. My gut is telling me that it is a health thing.

:goodluck:

The ankle biting is play. You need to teach her it hurts by hissing at her (?and clapping your hands or dropping a key chain that makes a good amount of sound ?) It takes time but she can be trained to not do that.

The extra energy? A bird feeder in a tree and bird watching window can work wonders! Also making her work for her food using puzzle toys. Plus maybe getting her to go through her very own obstacle course you move around & rotate. I would harness train her if you can. 1 hour outside = 8 hours of play and attention in calming hyper cats down in my experience. Let her 'hunt' the birds by the feeder. 'hunting' was the only thing that calmed my hyper punk down. I learned you need to wear out their minds, not just their body.
My first thought was maybe she had some sort of bowel blockage.. Perhaps she is constipated. I do have a couple enzyme cleaners for my carpet- now I use puppy pads in the area she defecates- very easy to clean! I've started using the key method; she likes attacking my keys now too - Lol! Thank you so much! Babe is very curious and bold, hopefully I can redirect her energy with some mind games - my laser pointer. I am buying a harness today, and I am currently watching videos to help me harness train her-
She really loves chattering at the birds that sit on my window sill. Thank you for the advice!