My cat keeps making a gnawing sound

rinnyfer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My 5 year old male cat, Mallie, keeps turning his side slightly to the left and making a gnawing sound. This has been happening recently, about two weeks now. He only does it before he's supposed to eat. I've taken him to the vet who said he's extremely healthy. He got his teeth cleaned three months ago and vet said he didn't need to get any pulled and looks good which is why I'm starting to think he only does it when he's hungry? I'm hoping other people will share their experiences about it. Eating, drinking, and using the litter box fine. Like I have zero idea and so does my vet why he is gnawing haha.

Thank you!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get a video of this, ...each time he does it?
And then you can show your Vet.

Not sure, since you said that Mallie...is eating, drinking and using the litter box fine...
and if nothing is actually caught in between his teeth...or gums...like previous food, or something he picked up off the floor.

Could he be 'salivating' or 'drooling' a bit since he really likes the taste and smell of his food...so that maybe he then has to 'gnaw and swallow' the extra bit of drool or saliva in his mouth?
That kind of sounds like a longshot, though, ...since I'm not really sure how much cats salivate, before eating...(like dogs sometimes, do.)

Your best bet...is to videotape it...and record how many times it happens...and note down...what type of food it is.
good luck.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd have to agree that cat nap cat nap 's suggestion to take a video him doing this, is the best way to show the vet what's happening. It could be just that's he's hungry, or eagerly anticipating his meal, but since you find it concerning, it's probably a good idea to follow up again with your vet. Good luck.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your Vet what they think about this video....in which they talk about a 'cat smelling with their mouths'....by nat geo wild.
Specifically the Jacobson organ, or Vomeronasal organ, on the roof of a cat's mouth... and the Flehmen response.
It might not be what is actually causing the 'chewing motions'...but it is something to think about,...like 'tasting the air'...beforehand.