My Cat Just "yelled" At My New Roommate

confusedkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, so some crazy stuff just happened.

I've had my kitty about four years now and I just moved into a new place. I've moved before with her where she's adjusted well but this time it was harder for her. Today she walked around the whole house instead of cowering haha and it seemed like she was doing great!

Well, my roommate came into my room and kitty was laying on my bed. Roommate (RM) began petting her, and she starting doing what I can only describe as a sniffing with her mouth open and made some weird breathing sounds. Maybe like she was getting ready to hiss?

I told my RM maybe he was being to dominant because he was standing over her so he gave her some distance and sat on the floor so they were more equal. RM went to pet again and then she hissed! She's not usually like that.

FINALLY the weirdest part was when he left my room. She immediately followed him out of the room, hair standing and tail puffed, and began like...wailing at him? Actually kind of sounded like that video of the husky saying "I Love You" now that I think back on it. It seemed to me like she was yelling at him for petting her! I've never ever seen her behave that way.

She's only vocal around feeding time and NEVER anything like this before. Also, she's not an aggressive kitty! I can't believe she pursued him out of the room like that and then yelled at him haha. Any ideas why she meowed like that? Also, any ideas about getting her to like my roommate? I'm going to have him feed her a few times a week so she can associate him with good things but that's all I got.

Thanks!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She sniffed him, that was the open mouth thing she did, and decided she didn't like or was scared of him based on scent and him standing over her. The puffed up tail and vocalization was warning him to stay away from her. I assume he was new to her?

Your roommate should give her space and pretty much ignore her until she stops viewing him as a threat. He can give her a treat so long as you don't make the cat have to go near him or interact with him to get the treat.