My Cat Just Started Licking Fur Off Many Different Spots. Please Suggest An Option.

Rrolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's 5, never had an issue. Never been bathed, but a proper clean kitty. Suddenly the base of her tail is without fur. Also lower belly, and the lower side of two feet ankles). I tried 1% hydrocortisone, and got an inflatable collar (she can't lick). 3 days, she's not happy with the collar, just lays about while her sister plays. I'm not about cones, and that collar has stopped the licking (great invention). I did a 1% cortisone, but as soon as I took it off, she cleans, then after 30 min of cleaning, started at the heat spots. No fleas, domestic So Cal cat, walks about outside during days (no longer), any ideas? I can't do vet (cost).

I'm now changing the wet diet (dry always worked, and they get a small wet appetizer of random fancy feast - some may be new - there's a possibility that a new wet 4 days ago?), to tuna (proven good) with dry purina one hairball (always good).

She doesn't itch with inflateable...

No local stress - fun home - has a sister they run about being catz. She did bring in a bird 5 days ago (second ever - but she's done 600+ lizards - only 3 died).

Now I'm thinking bird related? Any other options? How do I treat it on a budget?

Your thoughts n prayers are welcome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rrolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's 5, never had an issue. Never been bathed, but a proper clean kitty. Suddenly the base of her tail is without fur. Also lower belly, and the lower side of two feet ankles). I tried 1% hydrocortisone, and got an inflatable collar (she can't lick). 3 days, she's not happy with the collar, just lays about while her sister plays. I'm not about cones, and that collar has stopped the licking (great invention). I did a 1% cortisone, but as soon as I took it off, she cleans, then after 30 min of cleaning, started at the heat spots. No fleas, domestic So Cal cat, walks about outside during days (no longer), any ideas? I can't do vet (cost).

I'm now changing the wet diet (dry always worked, and they get a small wet appetizer of random fancy feast - some may be new - there's a possibility that a new wet 4 days ago?), to tuna (proven good) with dry purina one hairball (always good).

No local stress - fun home - has a sister they run about being catz. She did bring in a bird 5 days ago (second ever - but she's done 600+ lizards - only 3 died).

Now I'm thinking bird related? Any other options? How do I treat it on a budget?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have my wishes and prayers - as I am sure you are quite worried for her! Did you say you are not letting her outside anymore? If so, good choice - just to rule out something in that regard. Did the scratching coincide with the bird incident? I don't know if she could have picked up some parasite from the bird, but that is possible - and the cortisone isn't going to resolve that issue.

She also could have developed an allergy to her food, but that to me is a stretch. However, from your post, I really couldn't tell exactly what dietary changes she has had and if the timing of them might have anything to do with her itching/scratching.

Trust me, she does 'itch' with the inflatable collar, but she just can't get to it. She is probably pretty miserable and that is why you see she isn't interacting as she used to.

Can you at least consult with a vet in your area and ask about the possibilities of her contracting some sort of parasite from catching a bird? If you tell them that you cannot afford all the costs associated with a vet visit, perhaps they could tell how to handle the situation and if there is something they would recommend.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Look for a low cost vet clinic. Prices are more affordable but some places are only for those with financial difficulties and proof may be required.

There's always Banfield (located in many Petsmart stores) which offers a free first visit but treatment, medicines, blood work, etc cost extra.

Rrolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have my wishes and prayers - as I am sure you are quite worried for her! Did you say you are not letting her outside anymore? If so, good choice - just to rule out something in that regard. Did the scratching coincide with the bird incident? I don't know if she could have picked up some parasite from the bird, but that is possible - and the cortisone isn't going to resolve that issue.

She also could have developed an allergy to her food, but that to me is a stretch. However, from your post, I really couldn't tell exactly what dietary changes she has had and if the timing of them might have anything to do with her itching/scratching.

Trust me, she does 'itch' with the inflatable collar, but she just can't get to it. She is probably pretty miserable and that is why you see she isn't interacting as she used to.

Can you at least consult with a vet in your area and ask about the possibilities of her contracting some sort of parasite from catching a bird? If you tell them that you cannot afford all the costs associated with a vet visit, perhaps they could tell how to handle the situation and if there is something they would recommend.
Thanks for a nice proper response. She's inside 100% till this ends. I'm now on the idea of no parasites - just cause why would it only be back ankles, back belly, n tail end...

I have no vet, but cat little cat two has no issues.

She did get a random fancy feast thing - I'm not clear, but am changing to 100% tuna and her life long purina one stuff. Was thinking there's a random cat alergy thing (eg tiny itsy bitsy behadril - or? )...

I will say - that inflatable collar is a hugely (sorry - not a fan of bigly) nice thing to me (vs. a cone). Thanks again - just looking for suggestions...

Rrolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Look for a low cost vet clinic. Prices are more affordable but some places are only for those with financial difficulties and proof may be required.

There's always Banfield (located in many Petsmart stores) which offers a free first visit but treatment, medicines, blood work, etc cost extra.
Thanks - I'm a bit $ challenged, but will try to figure it out!

Rrolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's 5, never had an issue. Never been bathed, but a proper
Thanks - I'm a bit $ challenged, but will try to figure it out!
clean kitty. Suddenly the base of her tail is without fur. Also lower belly, and the lower side of two feet ankles). I tried 1% hydrocortisone, and got an inflatable collar (she can't lick). 3 days, she's not happy with the collar, just lays about while her sister plays. I'm not about cones, and that collar has stopped the licking (great invention). I did a 1% cortisone, but as soon as I took it off, she cleans, then after 30 min of cleaning, started at the heat spots. No fleas, domestic So Cal cat, walks about outside during days (no longer), any ideas? I can't do vet (cost).

Rrolff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update - the inflatable collar -while great - she didn't lick or chomp for hours, just caught her licking at the ankles. She is a REAL definition of lap cat, stopped chomping her legs immediately after I petted her. Psycho kitty? - not clear why. She stopped since I gave her attention.

Low dose Benadryl?