My Cat Just Ate Tape

Otter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put a piece on a box while wrapping presents and looked away for a second. She ate the strip that starts off the tape (the green checkered part) with some of the sticky stuff. I tried to get it out but she bolted under the couch and gagged for a minute. Now she is just hiding in the corner. What do I do?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet and ask for advice. The after hours voicemail message will have info on who to call. The vet may just tell you to watch the cat for the next day or two and bring the cat in if the cat stops eating or using the litter box.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have a very rough tongue. The barbs are all pointed one way to help prey be directed to their throat. that is why once they start swallowing something it keeps going, things like string, and tape. Hopefully it wasn't long enough to cause any problems. Being mostly plastic it should be passed on through the digestive system and come out in the litter box. Cats eat bird/mouse bones and all kinds of things we think of as dangerous all the time, so try to get hold of your vet to put them on notice and monitor your cat for any signs of trouble such as quitting eating, hiding, or no signs of feces in the litter box. She is hiding now because you tried to take away what she had and she knew you are upset. Try to stay calm and make sure she drinks plenty of water and eats a few treats to calm her. I would bet she will be fine. Especially now that you know what happened and can keep an eye out for any trouble. It won't show up for a day or two anyway, if at all, so try to enjoy your Christmas!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in case she managed to spit it out when she gagged, you might want to move the sofa and see if it's under there. Or at least look with a flashlight. I know it's unlikely, but it's not that much trouble to take a look.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The green checkered part is probably a thin cardboard substance which should be relatively digestible, but not knowing how much actual tape she ate still poses a 'watch closely' action, as suggested by all above. The other thing to look for would be vomiting. Not that I want her to, but perhaps if she does, you will find at least some of it in what she throws up.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lydia is a terrible tape addict. I can't leave boxes with tape out because she will eat it every time. So far, no ill issues and she's 9 years into the habit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Otter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice! She pooped this morning and seems to be eating normally for now. I'll contact my vet if anything changes.