My cat just ate my dogs food is that bad for him?

kawaiikoneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just ate my dogs food, is that bad for him? I am really worried. Someone please help! What should I do??

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, take a deep breath, there are far worse things that could happen to a cat.

I don't know what kind of dog food you are using but typically dog food is higher in vegetables (and grains if you are feeding a food with grains), and is usually higher in carbs, however, this won't hurt your cat, having eaten this only once. Dog food typically does not have taurine, essential for cats but this would only be a problem if your cat was eating dog food regularly, along with all the extra carbs and vegetable matter that cats don't need.

You may find a little more stool waste in the kitty box but otherwise it's not a situation for you to be worried about.

Last edited:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It really isn't a big deal. Dog food cannot be fed as a complete diet for a cat because their nutrient requirements are different, but a few stolen mouthfuls really aren't a big deal. The important thing is that it's not the primary (or regular) food source. I had a cat who would regularly insist on being given a couple of pieces of dog kibble to play with and eat, and he was none the worse for it :)