My cat jumps on me in the morning

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are crepuscular, so they are more likely to get energy bursts at night and in the morning. This is an extremely common issue with domestic cats.

I, personally, have tried sleeping with my cat, but I have frequent insomnia and wake up with the slightest disturbances, so I have had to keep my cat out of the bedroom for years. I am currently trying to allow him in, as he is a senior and less active. But he still is disruptive to my sleep.

The best measures to take that I've read are to play with your cat right before bed, feed them a meal later in the night, and ignore them when they try to wake you. As in, even if you are fully awake, and your cat is jumping on you/swatting you/whatever, try your hardest to pretend they do not exist.

I can tell you that despite the challenges I described above, the ignore thing actually does make a difference. They learn they can't get your attention by repeating a behavior that they previously thought would get your attention.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mine, is like an alarm clock 6AM tiptoe into the room, climb up on the bed and scream meow in my humans ear. Makes him jump every time.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it. Even if I’m sound asleep I can’t wait for it. I know it’s coming, just don’t quite know when. :)
I would love it, too, if I didn't have insomnia issues. But my cat walks all over in the middle of the night, and makes me unable to fall asleep again. I envy cat co-sleepers.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5 to 530 every morning our little girl will get up stretch if she is between daddy's legs she will come up inbetween us. If she was at my neck she is already in the right position to start her routine... She will go back and fourth meowing in my face then his back to mine and so on until we respond.. What is funny is she starts out so quiet and gets louder and louder.. lol it is the cutest thing ever

Another thing ahe does if we are trying to ignore her and act like we are still sleeping. She will start licking our face as soon as she gets to my eyelid I can't lay there and take it because it hurts. Kitty always wins with this trick of hers lol
Kitty-1
Momma-0

Last edited:

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's very normal cat behavior. Yeti, my newest cat, comes in as soon as my husband gets up for work at 5am. He cries in my face for a couple minutes, I'm guessing to tattle on my older cat who doesn't like him much, then settles in by my legs for an hour till I'm ready to get up and give the beasts breakfast.

Attachments

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I would love it, too, if I didn't have insomnia issues. But my cat walks all over in the middle of the night, and makes me unable to fall asleep again. I envy cat co-sleepers.
I can tell just from the photo that Willy is ‘that sort of cat.’ Wants to know what going ON. He might calm down, in many many years. Is there no other room he can be in, of a night?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can tell just from the photo that Willy is ‘that sort of cat.’ Wants to know what going ON. He might calm down, in many many years. Is there no other room he can be in, of a night?
He's 10 now, and is better than he used to be, but I have still had to keep him out of my bedroom most nights.

Every now and then, I give him another chance. But I think most of his snooping around at night is due to the fact that he's not normally allowed in there, so when he is, he gets excited to explore.

He's totally well-behaved outside of the bedroom with the door closed. He used to yowl outside the door, but now he waits patiently for me to get up in the morning. It would just be nice to be able to sleep with him in his older years.