My cat isn't interested in toys anymore...

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, now 10 mo (is it still a kitten) is not interested in toys anymore. He doesn´t play with balls of any size or material, he doesn't play with wands (he wants to catch the hand that holds the wand), he's not interested in any kind of toy even if we keep out of sight for some time and then bring it back sprayed with catnip oil.

The only things that interest him right now are cardboard boxes of any size, plastic bags, and of course our arms and legs. He plays "catch" but he isn't very aggressive unless you pretend to fight with him. Then he gets more and more excited and can hurt you, unless you stop the play saying "shhh" or "NO" in an angry tone.

Given his age, is this normal? Should he still be interested in wands, balls and mice of any shape and colour? Is there something we can do to get him interested in "cat toys" again?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My cat, now 10 mo (is it still a kitten) is not interested in toys anymore. He doesn´t play with balls of any size or material, he doesn't play with wands (he wants to catch the hand that holds the wand), he's not interested in any kind of toy even if we keep out of sight for some time and then bring it back sprayed with catnip oil.

The only things that interest him right now are cardboard boxes of any size, plastic bags, and of course our arms and legs. He plays "catch" but he isn't very aggressive unless you pretend to fight with him. Then he gets more and more excited and can hurt you, unless you stop the play saying "shhh" or "NO" in an angry tone.

Given his age, is this normal? Should he still be interested in wands, balls and mice of any shape and colour? Is there something we can do to get him interested in "cat toys" again?
Sounds like my boy. He has lots of toys and he also stopped playing with them. The only thing he still plays with is a ball I got him since he was 3 - 4 weeks old. He too like to play with the cane I use to get his ball out from under the cupboards. He'll jump and try to grab it when I hold it up.

And yes, when he plays hard and get over stimulated, I'll be the target.

Have you tried using paper and roll them up into a ball half the size of a golf ball? My boy likes that too. Also my boy likes plastic bags folded into a triangle and he'll hit it across the room and chase it. Now I improvise toys for him to play and after he gets sick of it I'll just throw hot away and make new ones for him and I don't buy toys anymore.

I guess some cats get bored with toys at a very young age, like my boy and yours.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. Cats get bored and it's best to rotate their toys and switch it up.

With the wands you'll also need to switch up the attachment and the way you play. Not just anything will be interesting anymore.

Is he an only cat or does he have other cat friends to play wrestle with? Many kittens at that age want to wrestle. You can use a kicker toy with him to play this.

Attachments

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats 1 yr old and 4 months old are wild about this toy.. it is rechargeable . Watch the customer videos and see if you'd like to try it. I highly recommend
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C45973SF/?tag=thecatsite

Also about wands..I find the colors also make a difference. Bright colored feathers are a hit here. The dark ones, not so much with the little one.
The older one goes bonkers about this attachment which spins . It is her favorite.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CDCHJNW4/?tag=thecatsite

On the other hand, no matter what I tried to give my former cat who passed away in her senior years, the only thing I could get her to enjoy was an aqua blue piece of cord she loved to chase around.
Any other color she just ignored.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just give him boxes and he will eb happy! watch the plastic sacks though, if he gets the handle around his neck he couple panic and get hurt, I have had that happen, then he got so wrapped up in it he almost suffocated! Soem cats really just outgrow toys!

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just give him boxes and he will eb happy! watch the plastic sacks though, if he gets the handle around his neck he couple panic and get hurt, I have had that happen, then he got so wrapped up in it he almost suffocated! Soem cats really just outgrow toys!
I wish I knew the secret! I always have Amazon boxes around and out of 3 cats I have yet to have one who will climb into one regardless of the size. My bro says my cats are not normal because cats are known for loving boxes! LOL!