My cat isn't cleaning his bum.

shoruq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 14 months old.he was very clean at first.but for the past 6 months he hasn't been cleaning his bum. So I have to wash it or wipe it for him.although he's a bit fat (8kg) I see him groom his coat regularly and he can reach his bum but he doesn't clean it properly. What should I do.

PS: vets where I live are very expensive and don't speak English or my country's language well and they don't really answer behavior questions.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm no help but if he's overweight, it is possible that while he can physically reach if he has to, that's it's not very comfortable to do so so he's not. I can't say if 8kgs is particularly large, it depends on his frame, but if you suspect it could be that it might be worth getting him to drop a little weight and see if the issue resolves itself.

cheadle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea sounds like he needs to drop a little weight to reach back there. It's usually as simple as feeding him smaller portions and maybe choosing a lower carb food. If he stops grooming himself at all, that can be a sign that he's sick or depressed, but if it's just his butt, he probably is just too fat to reach.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shoruq

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying to my post. I really appreciate it . and you're probably right. I feed my cat two meow mix cups a day and 1 cup of dry food.I started only feeding him 1 cup of wet food at night.and a cup of dry during the day but I think he just prefers eating wet twice.what do you think I should do ? Should stop the dry?

zoop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying to my post. I really appreciate it . and you're probably right. I feed my cat two meow mix cups a day and 1 cup of dry food.I started only feeding him 1 cup of wet food at night.and a cup of dry during the day but I think he just prefers eating wet twice.what do you think I should do ? Should stop the dry?
Yup stop the dry. Wet is better for him anyway.

hellocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Normally, 8Kg is too fat for a cat. Whether it's too fat to reach his bum, he should drop some weight.