My cat is wiping hit but across the floor?

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is wiping his butt against the floor, and it's not the first time. My mom is getting frustrated with the oder. I heard online that we should take him to vet because he's a long hair and his hair is getting in his butt, they said that the Vet will cut his hair to stop it from falling in his butt. Is this information true or false? If it's true. Should We take him to the vet?

Long haired Blonde Tabby-Male.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scooting across the floor is a sign of worms or impacted anal glands normally. In either case, you should get to the vet and have you cat fecal examined and have the vet check his anal glands.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How can you tell if he has worms? or can only the vet tell. He scoots and little pieces of poops comes out with a bit of hair from his fur.If we do take him to the vet, do they cut his hair, or a examination?

Also, if he does have worms [ I hope not!]
Will he need surgery or something?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet will need a stool sample which will be examined under a microscope. If worms are found, your vet will prescribe a deworming medicine in the form of a shot, liquid, pill, or topical cream. No surgery required

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigganat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. You really Helped me.
My mom is going to book a appointment. Thank you for the help again!

cmedeiros17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its definitely possible it could be worms or some other parasite but two of my cats that are long hair get poop stuck sometimes in their fur and will scoot along the rug to try and dislodge it. The vet can trim the fur down so it doesn't keep getting poop stuck. Of course the fur grows out and will need to be done periodically. My cats are patient enough that I am able to do it myself (with the help of my husband).

Of course cats will scoot their bum if they have worms as well. But a fecal sample can easily determine if that is the cause.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah my cat has long fur too and does get poop stuck to his butt fur sometimes. He scoots down the hall with me in hot pursuit lol. If your cat isn't a fighter, you can trim the fur down yourself. I go down the back of his legs and a little around the very bottom of his tail. Basically, if I can see his bum perfectly, I know its short enough. Still, no harm and taking your kitty in to rule out worms and other things.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

YHe scoots down the hall with me in hot pursuit lol.
I go through the same with my cats. Occasionally one will eat some of my hair and I have to catch them before they try to scoot the hanging piece of poop off. My fluffy one will also occasionally get some poop stuck in his fur - that's not as much of an issue anymore since his C/D food actually makes his stools small, dark, and firm. When it was before, I had his butt and leg fur buzzed down, then kept it trimmed for a while.

Basically, the softer the stool the more likely it is to get in the fur. So you need to figure out what is affecting him. (like the Friskies he gets)

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so if you trim the cats butt will it grow back faster and have to do this monthly?

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I go through the same with my cats. Occasionally one will eat some of my hair and I have to catch them before they try to scoot the hanging piece of poop off. My fluffy one will also occasionally get some poop stuck in his fur - that's not as much of an issue anymore since his C/D food actually makes his stools small, dark, and firm. When it was before, I had his butt and leg fur buzzed down, then kept it trimmed for a while.

Basically, the softer the stool the more likely it is to get in the fur. So you need to figure out what is affecting him. (like the Friskies he gets)
He hasn't had Friskies in 2 months. His poop is pretty firm, I guess. I think some of it may be the fits he goes through, licking his fur off, so there is fur in his poop, which gets stuck. Plus he grooms Buddy and eats any pieces of fur he happens to find. Keeping it trimmed seems to help for the most part though.

Originally Posted by Racn1320

so if you trim the cats butt will it grow back faster and have to do this monthly?
I have to do it once a month or so. Depends how short I get it. Only takes a minute, so I don't mind. Better than having skid marks on the floor or turds laying around. lol

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

He hasn't had Friskies in 2 months.
Huh?
The OP feeds their cat some Friskies, per their post in the nutrition section that I replied to shortly before replying to this one. I was talking about that cat, as I have no idea what you've switched to of late.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reminds me of that gradeschool joke, "whats a butt fur"?

If trimming the bootie though, I'd recommend picking up sharp but rounded edge scissors. Your cat can jerk at the last moment and poke itself in the leg with traditional scissors.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I'm FAR from an expert, I have to disagree in some respects.
Most of you are saying either poop is stuck to their bum, worms or impacted anal glands. Well I'm here to let you know, I have a VERY silly calico that just likes to do it..No reason, medically or other. The first time I saw her do it, I became concerned and did the whole fecal/vet visit thing, but everything came out neg and ok, so the vet told me that there's just some cats that like to just rub their bums across the floor every now and again..But listen to what everyone is saying and get your cat checked. It Might turn out that your kitty needs to be wormed, and it might turn out that he doesn't.. But better safe then sorry!