My Cat Is Way Too Dominant, What Can I Do?

ericpink87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My male cat is 8-9 months old. He is neutered, but he certainly doesn't act like it. He likes to display his dominance in various ways. For example, every time I feed him, he herds me to his food bowl (you may think this is an exaggeration, but it is not, trust me- it would be funny if it weren't annoying) and occasionally he gently bites me.

Now, these things are mildly annoying, but I can live with them. But he also does not let me sleep. He usually wakes me up in the wee hours of the morning, and anytime I try to go back to sleep, he keeps me awake with constant meowing. That is what I'm getting really fed up with. Is there anything I can do?

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much and how often are you feeding him?

How much and how do you play with him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericpink87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed him a handful of dry food or a 3oz can of wet food, 3-4 times per day.

I don't have many toys for him. I do have a laser pointer, but I know that's not the best option. I mostly give him plastic bottlecaps to play with.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat looks exactly like mine and he does the same thing. I had to put him in another room for a few nights so I could get him sleeping the same time as me. He would sleep all day, then try to keep me up all night.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so your cat sounds like he is both hungry and bored. An 8-9 month old is still a kitten. He should have dry food down all the time and meals of wet food per day.

He also needs you to interact with him! He can't entertain himself all day. Try getting a wand toy so you can really get him moving and playing. Lasers are ok for short periods of time as long as you end the play session with something satisfying. He really needs at least 2 play sessions a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ericpink87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so your cat sounds like he is both hungry and bored. An 8-9 month old is still a kitten. He should have dry food down all the time and meals of wet food per day.

He also needs you to interact with him! He can't entertain himself all day. Try getting a wand toy so you can really get him moving and playing. Lasers are ok for short periods of time as long as you end the play session with something satisfying. He really needs at least 2 play sessions a day.
Ok, I will try that. Thank you.

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You only want to feed him 1 3oz can, twice a day. 1/4 cup of dry as a snack is fine too. A fat cat is really hard to make fit again.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You only want to feed him 1 3oz can, twice a day. 1/4 cup of dry as a snack is fine too. A fat cat is really hard to make fit again.
That doesn't sound like enough food for an adult, but it's definitely not enough for a kitten.