My Cat Is Way Too Demanding

TriggerFlyButterShy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who is about 16 years old. He is getting on my last nerve. Any time he wants something he sits and pokes me. And it’s always food that he wants. Never attention or pets just food. He also only wants a certain type of food. One that there’s a shortage of now for whatever reason. I’ve tried every other type of food and he takes one bite and then comes and bothers me. It’s not as simple as ignoring. He will literally sit and poke me with his claws until I find him food to eat. He will keep this up for over an hour. I’ve timed it. I love him but he does this multiple times a day now that I don’t have the only food he likes because even if it was in stores (and it usually isn’t) I can’t afford it because they jacked up the price. He refuses to eat almost anything else and I can’t get him to stop. What do I do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats as they age can get very picky about their food, and even more so if they are feeling less than great. Has your cat had a recent vet evaluation, including blood work and thyroid check? I presume he is eating less because he doesn't like the food and that means he is hungry more often as a result. How is he doing otherwise?

What food does he like and what else have you tried? Have you also tried food toppers, gravies/bisques, lickable treats, etc?

The more we know about him, the better the chances are that we can offer some things for you to try.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can be really frustrating when your cat is needy. Aging cats can be a lot of work. Your cat is in the geriatric stage now!

Has he had recent bloodwork? Hyperthyroid can also cause pickyness.

There might be a reason why he won't eat the other foods because it might not make him feel as good. Can you tell us which food he likes so we can help come up with some similar flavors and textures?

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My possibly (long story) hyperthyroid 16 yr old DSH blk cat wants EVERYthing in gravy and that may be why the wet food has worked. Try giving him whatever catfood comes in gravy and sees if he'll eat that... I'm being eaten out of house and home by mine!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TriggerFlyButterShy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which wet food is it? It might help us give you the names of some that are similar.
sorry it took so long to reply I’ve been sick but he likes (or used to like) fancy feast seafood pate. He doesn’t like it as much I think they changed the formula but he eats that the most out of what he will eat.
In the past few days he’s gotten on my last nerve with this behavior. I do love him but he is so irritating. All he wants to do is lay near my face and poke it like all the time. If I try to gently move him or stop him he gets very angry. I don’t know if it’s me because I’ve been sick lately but I swear he was never this needy before and it’s only getting worse. Now it doesn’t seem to be food based but literally all the time. He’s always been a lap cat but it’s only just recently that he’s been poking me and getting very very fussy if I try to stop or move him. He even bit me once cause I tried to pick him up during a video call so he’d stop poking me. Something has to be wrong with him or it’s just me having a short fuse because I’m sick. I can’t tell but I can’t say this is normal for him either. Do you think a vet would be the best option?

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you wear jeans, his claws won't bother you. :lol:

I personally like it when we're sitting down and he pokes me, not a big deal at all, though he also doesn't get mad if I stop him or don't feed him, etc.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it was suggested that your cat have a full geriatric evaluation done by the vet, especially if he has not had something like that in the very recent past. For a cat his age, that is typically considered standard practice twice a year, as things can really change in heartbeat when a cat reaches that age.

The fact that it is getting worse, and is not just food focused, probably means a couple of things - 1.) he likely does have a medical issue going on and 2.) your patience, particularly with being sick yourself, is shot. Get the medical evaluation done and see what does - or does not - show up. That is step 1.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps because you have been sick your routine, and therefore his, has changed. Changes, even little ones, can be very unsettling to cats and his touching you is his way of getting reassurance everything is okay.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason, I THOUGHT you’d say Fancy Feast! I don’t know what’s in it but indeed my Zorro adored the ones with extra gravy. I had to wean him off it due to needing a special diet and it took some time. However I am loathe to make new food suggestions: as the others have mentioned he might need a checkup first.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your situation sounds similar to one of our cats. Our cat Max has a long-awaited appointment this upcoming Monday to address chronic weight loss. Meanwhile, I was able to modify his behavior by my being proactive in giving him attention - a real challenge since my long COVID reactivated autoimmune symptoms that I had finally controlled & my regular obligations continue to be demanding.
At one point, i had to grab his paw because the claws were getting blood. I would put my other hand flat up & nearly against his face so he couldnt bite and give a stern "Stop! Calm down" while letting go of the paw. Because it usually happened when i was sitting or lying down, I would also immediately walk away. He would try striking my legs so I kept a hand towel handy and would turn around and hang it between us and remind him to "dont do that, calm down". Then I would try to distract him with a toy or grab a comb for a quick comfort grooming. It took a couple of weeks but he has improved considerably. I also puree his canned food in a blender with a little hot water and low sodium beef broth because I think that he may have dental issues as well as maybe kidney or thyroid issues. His original owner died several years ago and he was nortorious for that bad behavior with her. The lady left several cats and numerous small dogs so my sister, one of her caregivers, brought 2 of the cats to CA from TN.
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner and susanm9006 susanm9006 that your own illness is definitely a factor. I feel that being with a terminally ill owner made Max a "worrier" and seeing my own health issues flare up intensified his behavior. My daughter's companion cat was adopted from a hospice cancer patient and that cat (who wound up pregnant and delivered 2 days before her spay-abort) also responds to illness - she is expert at alerting to seizures in my daughter as well as migraines in other people.
Please keep us updated on what you try and how things are progressing. Your experiences can be useful for others who are in these forums seeking answers.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trip to vet, yes. Then try giving him predictable times of undivided attention as well as meals. This may seem like it will take up time, but not as much time as constantly trying to shoo him while you try to work. Then, never ever respond to nagging. Feed only at the appointed times. At first, the minute he takes a break from poking you, give him what he wants. Then, reward him whenever he stops. Soon he will get it that stopping nagging is the key to getting what he wants. I did this to stop the 0-dark-30 breakfast time nagging. She will tell me that she wants to be fed, but then she will go to her cat tree and sit there giving me the death stare. At that time I will get up. If and only if it is breakfast time. Ailish now has the time-telling ability of a fine Swiss watch and NEVER bothers me when it isn't meal time. It took me very little time to accomplish this, but that's because I started when I first go her. For you it might take awhile. Teaching an old cat new tricks and all that!