My Cat Is Walking Around In Circles

SophiaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I took her to the ER the Monday night because she started walking in circles, and they did blood tests and an exam and ruled out anything life-threatening (poisoning, stroke, etc.) and also ruled out an ear infection or vestibular disease. So two nights ago she started doing the same thing again and I called the ER and they were swamped and pretty unhelpful but told me there was probably not anything life threatening so we went to bed. Now she's doing the same thing again and I'm worried about why this is a pattern, so I guess I'm wondering if you can help me decide if this is something I need to be really concerned about or if there is a non-scary explanation. She doesn't seem disoriented or to be having any balance issues, and hasn't been lethargic or changed her eating/bathroom habits at all. She is still playing, jumping up on stuff, etc. as she normally does, but it just seems to be that she needs to walk around in circles at night and gets very easily rattled...it's almost as if she's pacing to find something or survey the room rather than out of confusion. Help!

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you moved the furniture around or changed anything in her environment? Cats are such creatures of habit, they get rattled by the slightest thing. If that's not the case and your vet has ruled out any health issues, you might try Feliway spray or diffuser to calm her nerves at night. It sounds like she's a pretty healthy cat other than this odd behavior. Good luck :-)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the room where your cat is walking around in circles have any windows? I am asking because maybe she was startled by something she heard or saw from outside your home. It may be something that you are not able to see or hear even. If this happening at a specific time perhaps try closing the blinds/curtains shortly before your are noticing it happens. You could also try playing soft music. This would be useful to figure out if something outside is scaring her. I am glad you have taken your baby to the vet to rule out health issues too.

Was anyone in your household watching tv or listening to music right before this behavior happened? Maybe she was startled by a noise from a tv program or something on the radio.

This is all I can think of for now. Perhaps someone else will have some other ideas.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm sorry that your cat has been having a problem that the ER has not been able to diagnose but thankful they feel it is not life threatening. Did they rule out OCD? It sounds like your cat could be displaying a repetitive behavior for various reasons, possibly even stress related, especially since you said she is pacing during the night. You mentioned going to the ER but have you taken her to your regular vet? Here is a link to an article about obsessive compulsive behavior in cats: Obsessive Compulsive Behavior in Cats
Once again, I would encourage you to contact your regular vet as opposed to the ER. Best of luck, please keep us posted. :alright: