My cat is tearing up the wool area rugs in the living room...

miaomiao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Earlier this morning, I discovered that my cat Sibylla had pulled up a loop on the other area rug during the night.

A little background: there are two large (6' x 9' or thereabouts) thick-pile wool area rugs on the main floor of the condo, and I've had to completely cover up one of them to keep her from scratching it, so she's begun to scratch the other one. She has a scratching post on this floor (that she does use quite often) and one on the upper floor, and two cardboard scratchers (one inclined, which she doesn't use despite catnip, and one horizontal, which she does), both on this floor. I've also provided her with a jute floor mat, and she does not scratch that despite its roughly textured surface.

She has scratched the wool rugs while I was present, but this is usually during one of her "excitable" episodes, in which she runs around like crazy; most of the damage is done during the night or during the day while I'm at work, so I have no idea what frame of mind she's in when she scratches in my absence (I assume it's boredom or stress). I would get her a kitty playmate but for my allergies and tight financial situation, so I got her toys to keep the boredom at bay; unfortunately, many of those are not the kind I would feel comfortable leaving out for her while I'm not there to supervise.

The Feliway spray seems to work on her, but it's too expensive for me, and knowing her, Soft Paws wouldn't last a day. I'm very skeptical of herbal remedies, and they're also pricy enough that I don't want to take a gamble on them. Also, I'd have to buy a huge number of boxes of Sticky Paws to cover the rugs, so that's not economical. I've thought of the carpet protectors with spikes, but as the rugs are rather large, this may not be economical either. Declawing is absolutely out of the question, but when my parents see the damage to the rugs, I'm concerned that they will force me to declaw her or give her up.  And seeing as she's a very well-behaved cat otherwise, I'd hate to have to do either of those things to her just for scratching.

I'm not quite ready to accept the reality that my cat and wool area rugs just aren't compatible. I have heard mentions of citrus sprays being very effective, so I'd like to know if there are economical options (ideally, ones I can make myself) that will not damage the rugs or harm the cat but will deter my cat from scratching them.

Thank you!

Last edited:

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow - tough one.  There is just something about wool rugs that feels soooo good on a cat's paws.

The only thing I can think of is an orange smelling spray (Febreze or the like).  See if that keeps her off them.  I guess you could make up a concoction yourself but I would be afraid the biological materials in the oranges/orange juice you'd have to use may damage the rugs.

You can also try ambushing her - when you catch her on the rugs, rattle an empty can filled with coins.  Of course, this method my keep you up at night, waiting for her to start in on the rugs!

Thank you for trying to think of ways to stop the problem without immediately going to declawing.  You might explain to you parents that declawing may start up another batch of problems (inappropriate elimination and other behaviors come to mind).

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No matter what you decide to put on the rug to deter the cat, test a small area on the back first. You wouldn't want your wool rugs to start fading or leaching color.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miaomiao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your responses!

@Ondine: As for the noisy can tactic, I can't do it every time she scratches because I work 8-hour days five days a week, so it's going to have to be a deterrent that'll stay when I'm away. And I will definitely try using a pet-safe and wool-safe citrus-scented deodorizer on the carpet to see if that works. I wonder if the Citrus Magic deodorizer will work...