My Cat Is Suddenly Scared Of Me . What To Do?

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't posted in a while but my former feral/semi-feral Orville who has been living in the house for 1.5 years now has suddenly reverted to a fearful/hiding state. Everything had been going so well up until yesterday. He would flop in front of me, let me rub his belly, purr and was very gentle. He's still gentle, but very fearful all of a sudden. He never had to have much of a transition time because it was all done gradually over the course of more than a year and he decided when he wanted to live inside. I have two other cats with whom he has lived the entire time he's been inside.

The only thing I can figure is that my 5 year-old 8 pound male Chaucer, who is an Alpha male, got a bit too aggressive during play yesterday and genuinely attacked Orville - an 8 year-old 13+ pounder. I had seen the play-fighting in the living room, which they do sometimes, and then a little later heard screeching and Chaucer running through with a very fluffed tail and a piece of Orville's fur in his mouth. Orville was hiding. Chaucer has a history of getting a bit too aggressive during play, but it was usually with my 12 pound female - a bit of sexual aggression there even though all three are "fixed." The Feliway does not work with Chaucer, and he will not take calming meds that were prescribed by the vet. Orville does not seem to have been hurt physically as far as I can tell.

I understand Orville being wary of Chaucer, but me? He runs from me and hides from me. I have petted him but I have to be very slow, but his attitude is one of wariness and hiding. This is very uncommon and I hope that he will come around. Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated. I am very sad about this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got no response but I thought I would update any who are reading this. Perhaps it might help others. My concern about my scared cat Orville's behavior has to do with the fact that he is FIV +. I have a long thread in health about living with an FIV+ cat when you have FIV - ones. He was pretty listless after his "scared of me" period yesterday, which worried me that there was something wrong with him health-wise. I finally got him settled last night and he was like a limp rag, letting me move him into my lap from his bed. This morning, he is doing much better so I'm not sure if his behavior towards me yesterday had to do with me smelling like my other cat who attacked him - and they are fine together this morning- or me moving a rug he liked from the living room, or the cat I feed outside, or all three. Change, other people, sudden movements, and sounds can cause him to startle easily, but his fear reaction to me for much of the day was concerning. His listlessness after this added to my worry because I don't know how long he has had FIV. He has been in very good health and disposition since he joined my indoor-only cat family.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry no one responded, I just found your post. I bet you were really scared!:alright: As a newbie cat momma I don't have any advice but still wanted to touch base. How is Orville (and you) doing? :grouphug::catrub:

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Thank you. It happens. Sometimes, there is no real answer anyone can give for odd situations like this one. People may not have encountered it before. I don't take it personally. Interestingly, I moved the rug back to the living room, put on shoes with a clicking sound rather than the sound rubber-soled sandals make, and he's back to normal. He and Chaucer are okay together again. He may have been ill; he may have been spooked by the sound of "summer-sandals" or he may have be overwhelmed when I moved that rug to another room and the furniture was rearranged a little. He may have been on edge because of Chaucer but Orville is an experienced fighter, judging from the wounds I saw when he was still outside. Who knows. My other two cats were unconcerned with all the of this. The concern over the FIV-related illnesses is there, but I know he is safer inside with my other two cats and me than he would from whence he came - the outside. I have had so much help on this board with my two feral/semi-feral rescues and my other cat in the past two or three years. I'm sure you will find answers to most everything. The Catsite is a wonderful place. Enjoy your new kitty!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read all of your other thread and missed this one. You might want to consider posting questions there in the future since you have such an avid fan base!

I generally am concerned with behavior changes being indicative of health issues. If he is returning to normal, I think you can hold off on the vet. If it happens again, I would take him in.

You do a great job with all of them.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have read all of your other thread and missed this one. You might want to consider posting questions there in the future since you have such an avid fan base!

I generally am concerned with behavior changes being indicative of health issues. If he is returning to normal, I think you can hold off on the vet. If it happens again, I would take him in.

You do a great job with all of them.

Thank you! I considered that, but wasn't sure it pertained to those topics or that those topics were even being read any longer. Had this changing things back not "worked," I would have taken him to the vet. At his age and his FIV, any change in his emotional or physical state is a concern.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your cat dynamics will always be of interest, and related to your original post.

Glad to hear he's feeling better.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Thank you. It happens. Sometimes, there is no real answer anyone can give for odd situations like this one. People may not have encountered it before. I don't take it personally. Interestingly, I moved the rug back to the living room, put on shoes with a clicking sound rather than the sound rubber-soled sandals make, and he's back to normal. He and Chaucer are okay together again. He may have been ill; he may have been spooked by the sound of "summer-sandals" or he may have be overwhelmed when I moved that rug to another room and the furniture was rearranged a little. He may have been on edge because of Chaucer but Orville is an experienced fighter, judging from the wounds I saw when he was still outside. Who knows. My other two cats were unconcerned with all the of this. The concern over the FIV-related illnesses is there, but I know he is safer inside with my other two cats and me than he would from whence he came - the outside. I have had so much help on this board with my two feral/semi-feral rescues and my other cat in the past two or three years. I'm sure you will find answers to most everything. The Catsite is a wonderful place. Enjoy your new kitty!
Oh we are! She is an ex-stray who graciously allowed us to intice her to take over our lives :lol: :lol2: