My cat is suddenly afraid of me.

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday afternoon I found a few fleas on Moo so I put the flea med on the back of his neck. Since then he has been hiding. He only comes out to eat and if I even walk toward him he runs and hides. Is this normal? I feel so bad that he doesn't trust me anymore. What can I do?
'

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Moo! And poor you for feeling bad! He should come around in time. Cats can hold grudges. Entice him with lots of treats and praise. If it continues for too long, you should take him to a vet to make sure there isn't a medical issue that happened to coincide with the flea med application.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy hates spot on every month he sulks and pretends I'm a monster for a day. He even goes into hideing when he hears me open the stuff. Good news is he always gets over it with treats and time. He will trust you again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor Moo! And poor you for feeling bad! He should come around in time. Cats can hold grudges. Entice him with lots of treats and praise. If it continues for too long, you should take him to a vet to make sure there isn't a medical issue that happened to coincide with the flea med application.
I doubt it's medical because he come out of hiding to eat, drink and use his litter box.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't used the Advantage II, but with the Revolution,...it has an extremely strong smell of alcohol, and when I put it on my two cats, they both take off running, as though they are trying to run away from the smell.
(If I can smell it and it's that strong, then it must be 20 times stronger in scent, for them. So I don't blame them, I'd probably run, too.)

With your cat, it may be the feel of it, or the smell.
Like the other members mentioned, ...just give him a day to get over it.
And give him some bonus treats, too.
He only comes out to eat and if I even walk toward him he runs and hides. Is this normal? I feel so bad that he doesn't trust me anymore. What can I do?
I think it is normal. He's probably thinking that you'll want to put more of the stuff on him.
Tomorrow he will be back to his old self, with just a greasy spot on the neck.
As long as he's eating, drinking, and using the litter box..then he will be okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't used the Advantage II, but with the Revolution,...it has an extremely strong smell of alcohol, and when I put it on my two cats, they both take off running, as though they are trying to run away from the smell.
(If I can smell it and it's that strong, then it must be 20 times stronger in scent, for them. So I don't blame them, I'd probably run, too.)

With your cat, it may be the feel of it, or the smell.
Like the other members mentioned, ...just give him a day to get over it.
And give him some bonus treats, too.

I think it is normal. He's probably thinking that you'll want to put more of the stuff on him.
Tomorrow he will be back to his old self, with just a greasy spot on the neck.
As long as he's eating, drinking, and using the litter box..then he will be okay.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Moo is my first cat and I don't want to do the wrong thing for my little love.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Moo is my first cat and I don't want to do the wrong thing for my little love.
That's great! :thumbsup:
You might just want to post photos of your little Moo, ...after he gets over the whole flea day treatment.
(Unless photos annoy him, ...then maybe just take them while he's sleeping, or not looking.) :biggrin:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
He seems to be ok now. He's quite the help with my computer.
Moo is adorable. Quite handsome. :thumbsup:

Looks to be your 'office supervisor' for the moment.
Either Moo is telling you that you need a break, or he's wanting to thank you for keeping him 'flea free'. (He actually won't tell you thanks but you'll know.) :catrub: