My cat is suddenly afraid of everything

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a new backpack and my cat was very afraid of it which is understandable. However, the other day he was approaching the backpack and somehow scared himself. Ever since that, he is only willing to stay in a specific area in the living room and becomes cautious of everything. He got scared even when I made a little sound standing up from the sofa. Sometimes, you could tell that he wanted to explore a little bit but too afraid to proceed. I lured him into the living room using some cooked shrimp today, but after he was done eating, he quickly ran back into the living room again. I usually put all his food in one corner of the living room next to his scratch board. But he is too afraid of the scratch board now to eat his food.

I do not know what is wrong. I took away the backpack immediately after he was scared by it. He seems to be fine in his little safe area in the living room if there is not too much distracting noise. I have been using a vacuum robot to clean my apartment, and oddly, he seems to be fine with the robot like he used to be. When we first moved to this apartment, it only took him less than one day to get comfortable, but now this wired behavior has lasted more than 3 days and it really got me worried.

Forgive my bad English and any help is much appreciated!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some times that just happens with cats. They get spooked by one thing and then their fear expands. The best thing you can do is ignore the behavior. Don’t try to help them get over it by carrying them to the scary room or object or making them eat in that room. Just let them be and in time they will get over it themselves.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
But he is too afraid of the scratch board now to eat his food.
I'd move the scratch board far enough away that he'll eat.

he seems to be fine with the robot like he used to be.
I think it will take some time but this sounds as though he's doing better already. Be patient with him and love him, as susanm9006 susanm9006 has suggested :)

There might be a few things in here for you;
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some times that just happens with cats. They get spooked by one thing and then their fear expands. The best thing you can do is ignore the behavior. Don’t try to help them get over it by carrying them to the scary room or object or making them eat in that room. Just let them be and in time they will get over it themselves.
I see, thank you for answering. I am just a little bit worried that this might be caused by disease, but he seems to be sleeping and eating normally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vanstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Consider having him looked at by the vet too. Sometimes a drastic change in behavior may warrant a vet visit. My cat was a fearful, easily spooked cat, and in his case, the best thing for him is for me to totally ignore the behavior (after having him seen by my vet) and pretend like nothing is scary. I tried not to make a big deal out of the object that scares him, and I made sure that he has a hidey place that I -never- go to. For him, this was in the clothing closet under the jackets.