My Cat Is Scared Of The Ceiling Fan (i'm Pretty Sure)

dakotabrown

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so my cat Midnight has been hiding underneath my bed for a couple weeks now and refusing to come out even to eat and go to the bathroom. i have supplied him with what he needs but its worrying to me that he completely refuses to come out. he doesn't like to leave my room because my other cat messed him up a long time ago (she is gone now) and hes never fully recovered from that so hes always been pretty skittish; but not to this extent. me and my family moved into a new house about two months ago and at first he seemed completely fine, he hid for a few days at first but after that he would jump up on my bed like usual. Then one day he went into hiding and he hasn't come back out since then, i have tried getting him to come out with treats. he makes it a couple inches out then looks up and the fan and goes back under. the fan has been off for several days now and i thought that might have something to do with it but i guess not. I've been looking online and it seems like them being afraid of ceiling fans is a normal thing but i wanted to get some input directly. he still plays with toys, eats, drinks, and goes to the bathroom like he would normally while hes under there but he will not come out no matter what I try. Any suggestions?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had one in a very similar position. another of our cats chased her and annoyed her all the time. Even after that cat passed, she remained in her claimed turf, which was on top of a chest near some open shelves which gave her some room. After the agressor died, I took her into the living room. She looked up at the ceiling fan, turned off, and flew back to her turf. She never, to my knowledge, explored the house, though she seemed quite happy on her turf. and we could pet her there.

Only as I was writing this did I realize that the very first room in which the other cat chased and cornered her was on with a ceiling fan. It was where she found a safe spot but that was under a desk. I suspect she may have made the association of danger with the ceiling fan.

I know this isn't helpful, but at least you know you aren't the only one this has happened to. I know ceiling fans are wonderful, I love them, but you may have to try taking yours down and seeing if things improve.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
...along kflowers thought, you could try a floor or tabletop fan if you need airflow, and also try some music. MusicForCats . com, or classical harp music may help, plus this from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
You may have luck with chamomile tea, which can work wonders. It is gently calming without being sedating, which makes it great for situations like this. Buy commercially prepared bags from the coffee/tea aisle of your local store. This ensures that you are using German chamomile, NOT English, which is toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it, and administer via syringe or medicine dropper. The dosage is 1-3 teaspoonfuls (up to 3 Tablespoonfuls for cats 11 pounds or over) up to 3 times a day.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It IS a normal thing. Larger raptors can, and do, carry off kittens, and even smaller cats, and cats instinctively know this. That's also one reason why we advise, when dealing with a timid cat, to bring your hand down low and approach from more the side than above to pet. Things coming down from above are dangerous. Try removing the blades from the fan. They should come off very easily with a screwdriver. Get those big, scary "wings" off of there for him.