my cat is scared of his collar help!!!!

wallo22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
have a 8 month old tabby and recently bought him a new collar with a bell attached..Thing is when i put it on he refuses to move. He just stays in one spot for hours he wont even stand up while the collar is on. Is this normal? i take it off occasionally but put it back on after a few mins hoping he will get used to it...been 3 days already..still thesame.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Take it off and leave it off. Get him micro chipped instead. it is permanent and safer and less scary for him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wallo22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
unfortunately i live in malaysia...where micro chipping is still relatively new and expensive.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oops sorry, I didn't know. I know that microchipping is pretty much available world-wide now. Sorry about the expense.
If he is that scared of the collar or the bell, then just take it off him. If he goes outside, unless it is a breakaway collar it is dangerous for him, and the same goes for inside cats as they can get the collar caught on something and choke.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you just take the bell off? I know I did that with all of my cats collars. The bells made them nuts so I just broke the part holding the bell on. If that doesn't help it sounds like you may just have to leave it off it sounds like he is miserable wearing the collar.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor baby - that collar must weigh a ton.
I have tried putting a collar on Loki and have given up since I have not found a collar that he wasn't able to get out of in 1 second flat!!

I guess some tolerate it and some won't - ahve you tried different types ? maybe he will be more tolerant with one kind over another.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor guy...sounds like he's pretty terrified of the sound the bell's making if he's refusing to move. I agree with Hissy...forget the collar, or at least the bell.

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try leaving it on him for a week or atleast until he starts moving.
He might not move for a while but eventually he will get hungry or will have to go to the litter box.
In my opinion every animal adapts to changes in its environment. He will realize the collar is not a threat and eventually he will adapt to it (if he doesn't manage to take it off first). Try it and see how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wallo22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well he has started to moved....but its like quick, short, crawling dashes to his chosen destination...and he crouches again once he gets there.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wallo22

well he has started to moved....but its like quick, short, crawling dashes to his chosen destination...and he crouches again once he gets there.
Do you absolutely HAVE to have the bell on the collar? Why not just take it off??

zoggy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wallo22

Just leave it on him, he'll get used to it. Hes already getting used to it if hes starting to move. In a week he'll forget its there.