My cat is randomly vicious

erin williams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is the sweetest thing for short periods. Out of the blue he will suddenly swipe - hard - at me and visitors. He will come up for petting and if you pet him a few times, he can suddenly change. He does this in every circumstance - if laying on your lap, if you approach him, if he approaches you.  He does this several times a day.  I've read online articles where they say there will be a warning - but with him there really isn't. He will just suddenly do it with no provocation at all and get all vicious.

I don't let it bother me much as it doesn't really hurt me, but he did it to my mom tonight and she's a free bleeder so was bleeding a lot. He drew blood in three spots on her hand and included on one of her veins that sticks up.  He did it to my father, a diabetic, who then had to go to the doctor and get medicine because it got infected. He does it to my best friend without warning, who is sensitive to scratches so she'll swell up. He always does it very hard and always draws blood!

Sometimes it seems like it's playing but other times it's just like he's suddenly aggressive. He does do it playing too - he likes to hide behind things in the living room and jump out and attack the legs to scare people. He also randomly comes and attacks if you're not touching him, so it's not just a petting issue. The hiding game everyone thinks is cute, but for instance my friend was sitting in a chair watching tv, he runs up and jumps in air and swipes the back of her neck. I'm guessing he's playing, but he does it so viciously.

He was from my mom's cat's litter so we've had all of them since birth. The other cats in the litter are sweet and don't do this (they live at my mother's house.) Malz has always been raised indoors, he has been fixed for over a year. He's almost three years old. He is the only cat in the house part time. There is a stray that comes in every once in awhile (who he loves), but who doesn't stay long. He has never been mistreated at all and is healthy.

I really don't know what to do or why he does that. I was hoping age would calm him down. He's incredibly hyper and runs all over the place all the time (that doesn't bother me much), but the scratching DOES. He has plenty of things he scratches in the house. He has cat toys. I just don't see why he's so painful when he does this. Playing cats usually retract their claws, don't do it so quick and viciously, give warning, or else not this painful.

Any idea why he does this? He always has.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I suggest taking him to the vet to rule out any health issues. Maybe he's in pain and you don't know it.. cats hide pain very well!

After the vet checkup, we can look at behavioral. He could be getting over-stimulated if petted for too long (sometimes 2 strokes is 1 stroke too many for a cat!)

How old is he now? Is he neutered? has anything changed in the house (furniture moved, new people...)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think he'll allow you to trim his claws? If so, that will definitely help reduce the damage he does, plus, since it won't hurt as badly it will help you not react too much, because a lot of cats do this to get a reaction :/. The least reaction you can show, the better. Try ti trim his claws once a week at least, twice a week is better for keeping them super dull.

alistair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trim his claws and put Soft Paws on them until this issue is resolved. Have you tried to tire him out with playing? He might think he's playing with you guys and not realize he's being to rough.

If you can get his aggressive energy out using interactive toys like Da Bird, he may catch on that hands are not toys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erin williams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suggest taking him to the vet to rule out any health issues. Maybe he's in pain and you don't know it.. cats hide pain very well!

After the vet checkup, we can look at behavioral. He could be getting over-stimulated if petted for too long (sometimes 2 strokes is 1 stroke too many for a cat!)

How old is he now? Is he neutered? has anything changed in the house (furniture moved, new people...)
I haven't brought him to the vet for this issue but have brought him in a few times for other things (physical when he had a UTI), neutering, shots, etc. He is very aggressive at the vet. They nicknamed him the mean cat when they brought him out from getting neutered. Unfortunately he cannot be examined without being put to sleep. Every time they do try, and bring several people in, but he gets full attack mode. He can't even be weighed or have his temperature taken without being put to sleep first. The last time he was very sick from it and stopped eating for days. Had to intervene with chicken and nurse him back to health. I really do think he is healthy and he has definitely been to the doctors, he just hates the vet and gets very frightened there.

He has been this way since he was a kitten so I don't think it's a change. The only change we've had is someone moving out earlier this year, which I could understand would upset him, but he did have the same issue before that.

erin williams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you think he'll allow you to trim his claws? If so, that will definitely help reduce the damage he does, plus, since it won't hurt as badly it will help you not react too much, because a lot of cats do this to get a reaction :/. The least reaction you can show, the better. Try ti trim his claws once a week at least, twice a week is better for keeping them super dull.
No, he wouldn't allow that. I didn't know you could trim cat's claws - learn something new every day!

erin williams

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trim his claws and put Soft Paws on them until this issue is resolved. Have you tried to tire him out with playing? He might think he's playing with you guys and not realize he's being to rough.

If you can get his aggressive energy out using interactive toys like Da Bird, he may catch on that hands are not toys
I will check into that, thanks. We have a toy basket for him and I do try to play with him, but his energy is much higher than mine :)  We do have a stick that has a cat toy at the end he chases around. I don't play with him daily but may try and see if this helps. He's very  hyperactive! Acts just as hyper as any kitten at his age (almost 3 years old)

How often would a cat need the claws trimmed? Again, I don't see me being able to do it, but am curious if a vet does it. He would have to be sedated though.

alistair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I trim my cats claws about every two weeks. Try doing just one at a time and give him a treat after each one. If he is throwing a fit, just do one claw and back off for a half hour or so before doing the next one.

You could get a toy like The Cats Meow for him to chase. Laser light is always good. No warning makes me think he really doesn't mean to hurt anyone. Maybe he was taken from his mom and litter mates before he learned what acceptable play is