My cat is pooping everywhere

aeker1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat who is now only 5 months old has begun to poop everywhere.

When we first got him, we kept him inside the large bathroom at nights so he wasn't scared. He was used his litter from day one except a few accidents from time to time. We started getting him to sleep outside about 3 months ago in his own little kennel. He used the litter box for a while but then he started to poop and pee everywhere! On the couch on the grass  - right where we walk to get off the patio. I kept his litter box clean in the hopes that he would use it. We moved it around to the areas where he was pooping so that he would use it again but he didn't use it. Now, he is continuing  - he goes everywhere and doesn't even try to dig it up. I don't know what to do  - I am at my wits end and my family has started to complain as it is effecting our lifestyles as well. Please help!

sandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats has been having similar issues. I bought Cat Attract litter and so far no accidents. Have only been using this for a few days, though, so we're still trying it out, however a lot of cat owners swear by it for little box issues.

Also, make sure to completely clean up where the kitty went before. Use enzyme based odor eliminators, and a shampooer for the carpet areas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aeker1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi SandCat,

thanks for the quick response - is cat attract available in Australia? ><

I try to clean up after him as much as I can but I'm working during the day and my mum is at home and she refuses to touch it - which is fine - my cat, my responsibility.

He goes on the grass a lot and doesn't bother to cover it. Should I consider putting the litter box there where he goes without it?

meeepcosy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The fact that he is not covering his poop may suggest a medical problem. Maybe you should take him to the vet to have him checked out. I see it as their way of telling me that there is something wrong. Also, it's not the best idea to lock him up in the bathroom. Glad you are not doing that anymore. Kitties can become very stressed out and that affects their litter box habits. I don't know this Cat Attract litter, but it sounds like a good idea.

First rule out any medical problem, and then check if it might be behaviourial. My kitty, Rasberry, were also giving litter box problems. In the end, it turned out that the litter box just wasn't big enough for her liking. Haha! We replaced the commercially sized litter boxes with big ol' storage boxes, and that did the trick. :)

Best of luck! Keep us posted! :)

courtdawn333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Rosie use to poop underneath my leopard gecko's aquarium and in all the corners of the apt!?!
I don't really understand why she did that? Hopefully he figures out that litter boxes are for pooping! I think rosie's may have been a phase maybe his is too?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First rule out any medical problem, and then check if it might be behaviourial. 
I 100% agree that you first need to be absolutely sure that there isn't something medically wrong with him. 

If there isn't then I am having a few thoughts. First, is he neutered? At 5 months he's close to reaching sexual maturity if he hasn't already. This may just be him marking his turf. If so, having him altered is by far the first step (although it sounds like he's indoor/outdoor and should be fixed regardless so that he doesn't contribute to the pet overpopulation). 

My next thought is that, if he is indoor/outdoor he may be struggling with the transition. Some cats who are allowed outside become very used to just going wherever they want. When he comes inside it's not registering that he can't do the same thing. 

I absolutely swear by cat attract litter and highly recommend using it. If you can't find it maybe try another brand of litter and see if that helps- he may just not like the type that you are using. Cats, like humans, sometimes change their minds on what they like- even if you were using the same brand before his preferences may have changed. 

If medical issues are ruled out I would start by having him fixed and back to living in the large bathroom with a new litter that he likes. Once he re-learns how to use the box then slowly start letting him have free reign of the house. You may want to add extra boxes just to be on the safe side. Once he is doing fine with that you could start letting him outside again if you feel it's necessary, just know that he may digress if that's part of the problem. 

Good luck and keep us posted!!!! 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had the cat neutered yet?  Leaving faeces uncovered is one way that entire cats leave their mark, and at 5 months an unneutered cat will be pubescent.